Thoughts on U2 as of late....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm saying that the last two albums were not on the level with all of their previous work. And Get On Yor Boots SOUNDS LIKE A SONG THAT COULD BE FROM EITHER OF THEM. Therefore....it's a good chance that NLOTH is going to more of the same. And the titles stink. The descriptions stink. If it looks like a duck.........

Umm, no.

Advice 1: Listen to the last two albums and then listen to the new song. I know it's difficult for you because you hate them so much, but try, just try, ok?

Advice 2: Wait and listen to NLOTH before you judge that album.

Advice 3: Actually READ some of the album reviews that have been posted so far. Most of them are saying that GOYB is an exception on NLOTH, soundwise.

Advice 4: If all of that doesn't help: Go and find yourself a different band, seriously. And stop saying you're not a troll, because you fulfill all the requirements for a typical troll.

Maybe if you go check out Black Rebel Motorcycle Club's newest release (The Effects of 333 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) you'll realize that changing your sound isn't exactly the best thing to do.

Uh, dude - "The Effects of 333" is an official release, but it's ridiculous to consider it a proper BRMC album. That's why they released it online - it's sonic noodling that they wanted to get out of their system. Anybody who considers it an actual follow-up to "Baby 81" in order to make it sound like a failure is just looking to throw some dirt.

Umm, no.

Advice 1: Listen to the last two albums and then listen to the new song. I know it's difficult for you because you hate them so much, but try, just try, ok?

Advice 2: Wait and listen to NLOTH before you judge that album.

Advice 3: Actually READ some of the album reviews that have been posted so far. Most of them are saying that GOYB is an exception on NLOTH, soundwise.

Advice 4: If all of that doesn't help: Go and find yourself a different band, seriously. And stop saying you're not a troll, because you fulfill all the requirements for a typical troll.

I never once said that I hate U2. I'm saying that I'm disappointed in them. Trust me....I want a good U2 album. But it's probably not going to happen.

That sounds like a personal attack. Maybe you should read the rules of the forum. :sexywink:

Uh, its not a personal attack. Don't get cute.

To use your parlance: If it sounds like a duck...

If you are a musician/producer, then you must not be a very good one because a good one wouldn't be wasting their time here slagging ANY artist, established or otherwise.

Your statements criticizing U2 are so over-to-top that you reek of Troll.

You don't even have 30 posts yet. Sounds to me like you get your jollies by pissing people off with your rheoteric.

Uh, its not a personal attack. Don't get cute.

To use your parlance: If it sounds like a duck...

If you are a musician/producer, then you must not be a very good one because a good one wouldn't be wasting their time here slagging ANY artist, established or otherwise.

Your statements criticizing U2 are so over-to-top that you reek of Troll.

You don't even have 30 posts yet. Sounds to me like you get your jollies by pissing people off with your rheoteric.

"You don't even have 30 posts yet". What does that mean? Are you a postist? Am I a leeser being by not having 30,000 posts?

Wasting my time? I happen to like talking about music. It comes with the territory. And would'nt wasting my time be a more a reasonable asumption if I had 36,897 posts? Come on! Lighten up and stop attacking me personally because I have criticisms of the band.

I'm surprised anyone would consider Bono's "two crap albums and wer'e out of here" as some sort of reference point to keep coming back to.

Because honestly, who's supposed the judge and jury for that? U2 fans? Are we supposed to put together a formal ballot at each album to see if they've hit the "Two Crap Albums" mark? If the fans come to a majority vote that yes, the last two albums sucked, do we have to submit something official to U2? A decree of some sort that declares U2 to be finished? And then U2 is supposed to say "Well, that's it then"?

Or is U2 supposed to come out and say "wow, that was a really crap album. Guess we're done now." Pop is-it-done-or-shall-we-tinker-more debates aside, they don't seem to think any of their albums are crap.

Whatever you think of their last two albums, or last eight albums, quit coming back to Bono's statement, because it's ... well, it's pretty dumb.

I'm surprised anyone would consider Bono's "two crap albums and wer'e out of here" as some sort of reference point to keep coming back to.

Because honestly, who's supposed the judge and jury for that? U2 fans? Are we supposed to put together a formal ballot at each album to see if they've hit the "Two Crap Albums" mark? If the fans come to a majority vote that yes, the last two albums sucked, do we have to submit something official to U2? A decree of some sort that declares U2 to be finished? And then U2 is supposed to say "Well, that's it then"?

Or is U2 supposed to come out and say "wow, that was a really crap album. Guess we're done now." Pop is-it-done-or-shall-we-tinker-more debates aside, they don't seem to think any of their albums are crap.

Whatever you think of their last two albums, or last eight albums, quit coming back to Bono's statement, because it's ... well, it's pretty dumb.

There comes a time in everyone's career when you have to admit defeat. Weather you're a basketball player, astronaut, or pop star. No one can keep up the momentum. And that's what Bono was hinting at. And U2 are desperately trying to cling to their youth and success. They are pandering to the younger audiences who listen to mainstream radio....which is boring. Remeber all that "we are reapplying for this job" and "We are going to outdo the boy bands" nonsense? Thats a good sign that they are worried. And they shouldn't be. They never used to worry about that crap. They just made awesome music and it touched people.

U2 is a machine now. It's trying too hard to crank out hits.

I think maybe it's just time that you said a bittersweet farewell to U2 and moved on yourself, not that U2 needs to hang it up.

And believe me, you're not alone on this site with that sentiment. But if you're going to try and brow-beat us into agreeing with you ... well, you can see how well that's going over.

:)

so you want them to retire?

If they can't do it anymore then they should. The Police quit while they were ahead. And they were a threat to U2 early on. Midnight Oil broke up after a career of perfect albums. They ended on a high note. Capricornia is one of the greatest albums. Yet another band that was putting out records of the same calibre.

Why tarnish a sterling reputation?

ScandalCrow hates U2 fans. :sad:

ScandalCrow (6 months ago) Show Hide
Bono has claimed many times that u2 started off as a punk band. I like u2. I just hate it when they talk shit. And the fans eat it up. I don't like u2 fans at all. I think they have the dumbest fans out of any band in history.

YouTube - U2 on Off The Record part 5

"You don't even have 30 posts yet". What does that mean? Are you a postist? Am I a leeser being by not having 30,000 posts?

Wasting my time? I happen to like talking about music. It comes with the territory. And would'nt wasting my time be a more a reasonable asumption if I had 36,897 posts? Come on! Lighten up and stop attacking me personally because I have criticisms of the band.

I'm not going to lighten up. I know plenty of musicians and producers and they don't "waste" their time on message boards slagging other artists.

You started this thread by mudslinging, now you have to deal with the backlash.

And I suggest you stop telling me the forum rules. I've been a member here for 8 1/2 years. I know the rules. And guess what? I've never been banned or suspended! I know what a personal attack is and I haven't it done it yet nor do I intend to. You're the one who came to this forum, guns blazing, shitting on an album that nobody's heard. Then you wonder why everyone's pissed off at you. You don't sound like a musician or a producer to me. You sound like a Troll. At least wait until the album has come out before you shit on it.

:lol: Nice find.

Makes me wonder, why does he go to a U2 forum FILLED with U2 fans if he hates them?

Most likely reason: To stir shit.

But I think he should stay with us U2 fans tho, if he'd stop being a U2 fan their average IQ would rise and we wouldn't be as stupid anymore.

I think maybe it's just time that you said a bittersweet farewell to U2 and moved on yourself, not that U2 needs to hang it up.

And believe me, you're not alone on this site with that sentiment. But if you're going to try and brow-beat us into agreeing with you ... well, you can see how well that's going over.

:)

I think U2 needs to say a bittersweet farewell to U2. And If NLOTH turns out to be a great album, I'll be the first one to admit it and say I was wrong. But it's headed for disaster already. GOYB is not as bad a Kite, but it's up there with worst song ever.

If they can't do it anymore then they should. The Police quit while they were ahead. And they were a threat to U2 early on. Midnight Oil broke up after a career of perfect albums. They ended on a high note. Capricornia is one of the greatest albums. Yet another band that was putting out records of the same calibre.

Why tarnish a sterling reputation?

do you honestly think The Police and Midnight Oil quit because they wanted to go out on a "high note"?

Besides, by your own admission, haven't U2 passed the point of no return anyway? Why not continue the slide and make some money while they're at it?

do you honestly think The Police and Midnight Oil quit because they wanted to go out on a "high note"?

Besides, by your own admission, haven't U2 passed the point of no return anyway? Why not continue the slide and make some money while they're at it?

Everyone loves a good comeback!

They are so full of shit. Acrobat, just like Even Better Than The Real Thing, The Fly, and Ultraviolet were all spawned from the song, Lady With The Spinning Head. The timing is the same on all of them. They try too hard to sound professional. When it comes down to it, they just record what hit's them. There is no rhyme or reason. It's experimentation. They were not sitting around thinking "How can I turn a dirty shoegaze song into a traditional Irish song.

:lmao:

That says enough. Acrobat the same timing as EBTTRT and the rest??? Comparing a song in 5/6th timing with the standard 4/4 timing?
Nice music biz guy you are!

Kite is bad? Now that's just crazy talk.

Very crazy. Like most of his comments.

Btw,Kite wasn't a "single".

I don't get why some people just love to come to forums and troll. If I don't like a band or artist - and heaven knows there are some - I don't go to their fanboards and tell their fans how crap they are.

Btw, The Police broke up because the members of the band could no longer stand each other. They didn't break up because they wanted to retire while still on top of their game. Midnight Oil "retired" because the lead singer wanted to resume his political aspirations.

So, two bad examples so far.

I'm saying that the last two albums were not on the level with all of their previous work. And Get On Yor Boots SOUNDS LIKE A SONG THAT COULD BE FROM EITHER OF THEM. Therefore....it's a good chance that NLOTH is going to more of the same. And the titles stink. The descriptions stink. If it looks like a duck.........

You're a record producer? Anyone with a halfway decent ear will tell you that GOYB sounds like something that originated during completely different sessions. It doesn't sound anything at all like a HTDAAB track, sonically or otherwise.

:lmao:

That says enough. Acrobat the same timing as EBTTRT and the rest??? Comparing a song in 5/6th timing with the standard 4/4 timing?
Nice music biz guy you are!

Acrobat is in 6/8 there Mozart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom