Thoughts on U2 as of late....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Once again, ONE SONG!!!

Though I disagree with your judgements of the song, but I've talked enough about Boots.

You definately have an agenda here, you aren't addressing any of the real questions you're being asked, you're just speculating and assuming with a closed mind...

see ya.

You're missing the point. There is a pattern here. The last two albums were not up to par. And this new one is headed for the same fall. The magic is gone.

Get On Your Boots is a perfect example. It's the same f-ing song over again. Bono's lyrics are in your face instead of vauge like they used to be. He's tewlling you what to think instead of painting a picture. Edge's guitar sounds like the last 3 hits. It's the same riff. Adam and Larry....anyone could have come up with their parts. In fact...Larry's drums are the worst part. Sounds like a drum machine to me. Thats why this song stinks. And if this is the first single....it's just setting the stage for failure. Am I wrong? AM I WRONG??

You're missing the point. There is a pattern here. The last two albums were not up to par. And this new one is headed for the same fall. The magic is gone.

Get On Your Boots is a perfect example. It's the same f-ing song over again. Bono's lyrics are in your face instead of vauge like they used to be. He's tewlling you what to think instead of painting a picture. Edge's guitar sounds like the last 3 hits. It's the same riff. Adam and Larry....anyone could have come up with their parts. In fact...Larry's drums are the worst part. Sounds like a drum machine to me. Thats why this song stinks. And if this is the first single....it's just setting the stage for failure. Am I wrong? AM I WRONG??

Yes. Every single review thus far has said that GOYB is the weakest track on the record or the track least similar to the rest of the record.

It's the same riff.

For a music producer, and session muso, this is a very very dumb comment. Momumentally moronic. You have proven to me that you are full of shit.

Am I wrong? AM I WRONG??

In my opinion, yes you are. A different style doesn't mean it's crap. you don't like it, fine. I do. So do millions. Grow up and respect other's opinions. People said the same thing after the Fly was released.

And before you tell me I should be respecting your opinion, I do respect your opinion, only you are not presenting opinions: you are purporting to present cold hard facts, and coming off looking a bit stupid

Like I said before, U2 is not catering to your tastes. Sounds like its been a decade since they've released something you like. Its time to let them go.

I understand what you're saying about GOYB. What I'm getting however from some reviews is that it's not like Vertigo, in that it's not in the context of the album the obvious made-for-a-single throw away for 00s suburban, middle of the road, rock radio. That it's placement, and it's place within the general vibe of the album, gives it more of a Some Days are Better than Others feel. A burst of fairly shallow and fun energy somewhere in the last half. If you think of it like that, would it change your mind? That's what I'm crossing my fingers and hoping for.

In fact, this whole album has a kind of Zooropa feel to it, I think. Not sonically or thematically, but something about what I can gather of it's flow and, to sound wanky, geography (that will make sense to some people, hopefully in a 'woah' way).

While I agree with a lot of what you say (not the specifics, but absolutely the general “last 2 albums were incredibly sub par for U2” complaint), I think it’s a little silly to post it just 3 and a bit weeks out from a new album. *If* it is crap, then a decent chunk of the U2 fanbase will have reason to invoke Clause B.4.89 of the Band/Fan Relationship Code (commonly referred to as the “Two crap albums and we’re out” clause), but we’ve only heard a single that while certainly in the same mold as recent U2 pop-rock outings, is, IMO (and most of the boards) far better than the last few efforts and, in the opinion of most of the reviews, either the worst track on the album or the least indicative of it’s sound.

I do agree with your sentiment, I do agree with the topline of your argument, but I don’t think you’ve picked the best time to make it. No GOYB is not great U2. No, it doesn't hold a candle to, say, the Fly. But give it a few weeks.

Trust me. I'm going to buy the album. The last 9 albums have brainwashed me into it. But I will say again...where is the backlash from ATYCLB and HTDAAB? For christ sake! I have to abbreviate the titles of the last two because they are so huge! Just like the new one!

All I'm saying is is that the deck is stacked against them. They better deliver HUGE on this one. I'm tired of watered down music for the boring masses that like Nickelback. And U2 have become Nickelback.

Adam and Larry....anyone could have come up with their parts. In fact...Larry's drums are the worst part. Sounds like a drum machine to me. Thats why this song stinks. And if this is the first single....it's just setting the stage for failure. Am I wrong? AM I WRONG??

Yes, because in the past U2 was known for their greatly skilled rhythm section :huh: (no offense to A & L, they came from punk rock, after all.)

I would say that judging an album by one song, even if that song is the lead single, is wrong. YES, WRONG!!

I understand what you're saying about GOYB. What I'm getting however from some reviews is that it's not like Vertigo, in that it's not in the context of the album the obvious made-for-a-single throw away for 00s suburban, middle of the road, rock radio. That it's placement, and it's place within the general vibe of the album, gives it more of a Some Days are Better than Others feel. A burst of fairly shallow and fun energy somewhere in the last half. If you think of it like that, would it change your mind? That's what I'm crossing my fingers and hoping for.

In fact, this whole album has a kind of Zooropa feel to it, I think. Not sonically or thematically, but something about what I can gather of it's flow and, to sound wanky, geography (that will make sense to some people, hopefully in a 'woah' way).

Some Day Are Better Than Others is a great song. No comparison.

Okay. #1 Discussing the merits of an album that isn't out yet, hasn't even leaked yet is insanity! If you still feel this way in a month or two I'll take you seriously. I'll debate you and/or agree with you. At the moment I don't know if this album with be as awesome as Achtung or as crap as ATYCLB, AND NEITHER DO YOU!!!!:hmm:

#2 BCRT2000; Dissing fans who've been listening to U2 since 1987 for being the wrong "demographic" is insulting! It treats art as a marketed product first and primarily. Further, it suggests that it is only produced for children. And it insults every fan. It's like calling this music no better than Sesame Street. Are we supposed to out-grow U2? Are the Beatles and Radiohead only for people under 21? What music do you plan on listening to when you're an old man of 35 like me? Cuz I've been listening since 1987 too!

Come on!

For a music producer, and session muso, this is a very very dumb comment. Momumentally moronic. You have proven to me that you are full of shit.

In my opinion, yes you are. A different style doesn't mean it's crap. you don't like it, fine. I do. So do millions. Grow up and respect other's opinions. People said the same thing after the Fly was released.

And before you tell me I should be respecting your opinion, I do respect your opinion, only you are not presenting opinions: you are purporting to present cold hard facts, and coming off looking a bit stupid

It IS a fact that it's too similar a riff. Use your ears. Listen to the song. Then listen to the Fly. Listen to Discotheque. Listen to Elevation. It's all the same. I love Pop but I noticed the similarity to the Fly riff as well. Use your ears and not your "I LOVE THE BAND NO MATTER WHAT!!!!" meter. They are screwing you out of better material. You should be offended.

#2 BCRT2000; Dissing fans who've been listening to U2 since 1987 for being the wrong "demographic" is insulting! It treats art as a marketed product first and primarily. Further, it suggests that it is only produced for children. And it insults every fan. It's like calling this music no better than Sesame Street. Are we supposed to out-grow U2? Are the Beatles and Radiohead only for people under 21? What music do you plan on listening to when you're an old man of 35 like me? Cuz I've been listening since 1987 too!

Come on!

Demographic isn't exclusively broken down by age!

And I'm NOT dissing people who only like classic U2. But if its been 10 years since they've released an album you (the original poster) liked, then maybe its time to start looking into other bands rather than trying to convince fans of current U2 that they are bad.

Sure looks that way. With any luck he'll work himself into a banning soon. :)

God, I LOVE bannings!! :love: :hyper:

At this rate, it would be like getting banned from a Scientology auditing party. You people scare me.

First off I understood what you meant (to some extend) in your initial post and further comments, although a little harsh and maybe premature...

But with this statement: "Some Day Are Better Than Others is a great song. No comparison.", you've lost me... sorry..

I personally think that U2 are getting a pass from the fans. The last two albums were not very good and Bono said before that if you make two duds in a row, it's time to quit. But the fans are just eating ATYCLB and HTDAAB up. So they think they are doing good and not keeping Bono's promise.

I've been a MEGA fan since 87. I listen to all of to all of their albums front to back without skipping tracks. They used to make perfect albums. That is until ATYCLB and HTDAAB. And NLOTH is shaping up to be another dud based on the song titles and the content of Get On Your Boots. I wish the fans would realise this and cause a backlash for the band. It would cause them to seriously reconsider their music.

As a band who have broken the mold and made every album perfect in the past, they need to shape up. Don't say it's great just because you love Edge or Bono. Don't think it's wonderful because the band makes you feel like they care or that they are your friends. I know their music has that effect. It's part of what used to make them special.

So here is a list of things they could do to put the magic back into the music:

-Bono needs to spend more time in the studio while the band is writing the music. Bono has better instincts than Larry or Adam.

-Adam and Larry need to back off with the "We need to make a U2 hit" crap. The band did fine for a long time without trying to do that.

-Edge needs to ditch that Line 6 crap. They are cheap effects and it's messing up the studio and live sound.

-The band needs to find A new producer. Eno, Lanois, and Lillywhite have let the band down on the last 2 albums. No quality control.

-The band needs limitations while in the studio. They do their best when they are on a budget and have time restrictions. No time to tinker and second guess. No time to overkill a song.

OK. let's start here: The last two albums were good and you cannot say anything about NLOTH because you haven't heard the album yet. Most other points you make are also wrong as many others have pointed out in this thread.

The band does not need limitations. At this point of their carreer they can do what they want. For all we know, they can call it quits tomorrow.

Pop was a hit in my book. And my "demographic"? What is that supposed to mean?

Reality check? Pop was a "flop". You liked it, fine. But guess what, there are other people besides you in this world, you smart guy and great listener. Pop may be a hit for you, but not in general.

I'm a smart guy and a great listener. I can tell just by the titles, descriptions of the songs, and Get On Your Boots that this album is not going to deliver. Seriously....don't cut the band slack because you love them. We pay for this stuff. They have a duty to make sure I buy a concert ticket.

Smart guy and great listener, all right, whatever. That's ridiculous.

How smart can you be if you judge an album you have only heard one song of just by the titles? :doh:

And if you don't buy a concert ticket, that's better for all of us, because we have more chances of seeing U2.

I don't think the band will be particularly sad about it.

Ummmm....I'm judging it based on the crap song that is Get On Your Boots.

Umm no, it isn't "crap".

Crap again. Not the song, you're way of stating your opinion as fact throughout your posts here.

Telling us how stupid and brainwashed we are, while saying you are smart.

Come on, don't tell me that isn't trollish behaviour.

Then race? Sex? Where are you going here? I've worked in some marketing departments... It's kinda age, sex, race and that's it......Right?

I'm not talking about demographic in the marketing sense (as in the 18-35 demo)... Demographic can be broken down into fans of certain genres as well. For example, the hip-hop demographic probably isn't going to like Oasis.

Trust me. I'm going to buy the album. The last 9 albums have brainwashed me into it. But I will say again...where is the backlash from ATYCLB and HTDAAB? For christ sake! I have to abbreviate the titles of the last two because they are so huge! Just like the new one!

All I'm saying is is that the deck is stacked against them. They better deliver HUGE on this one. I'm tired of watered down music for the boring masses that like Nickelback. And U2 have become Nickelback.

i take offense to being labelled a Nickelback fan. U2 have not, and will never become Nickelback. There is also plenty of backlash here about ATYCLB and HTDAAB, but most people do it in a constructive way. They state that in their opinion they dont LIKE them, not that they are trash and U2 are shit, blah blah blah, whinge whinge whinge.

I am officially bored of your shit, and am leaving.

It IS a fact that it's too similar a riff. Use your ears. Listen to the song. Then listen to the Fly. Listen to Discotheque. Listen to Elevation. It's all the same. I love Pop but I noticed the similarity to the Fly riff as well. Use your ears and not your "I LOVE THE BAND NO MATTER WHAT!!!!" meter. They are screwing you out of better material. You should be offended.

I am only offended by you. They have written a few songs in the same key OMFG!!?!??! CALL THE RIFF POLICE!!?!?!

Are you serious? You actually called yourself a musician. Please just admit that was a lie, because I am, and I do "use my ears". You need to rephrase that comment "they are screwing you out of better material". You really mean that they are screwing YOU out of the material YOU want to hear. If U2 didn't try differnt styles, we would never have had TUF, JT, AB, Zooropa or Pop. They wouldnt have lasted to 1987 when you fell in love with them.

You don't like the style, I feel sorry for you, but don't dare insult me because I do like it. Don't even think about questioning the people here who take enjoyment out of these albums.

I'm not talking about demographic in the marketing sense (as in the 18-35 demo)... Demographic can be broken down into fans of certain genres as well. For example, the hip-hop demographic probably isn't going to like Oasis.

Alright then. I'll accept that. :D
But that clearly wouldn't fit a guy who had enjoyed most of U2's catalogue. He's clearly the right demographic. He's a crazy person, sure who thinks he can see the future, and wants to debate the merits of an album based on titles, but he's part of the U2 fanbase (demographic.) :lol:

P.S. Get on your Boots rocks!!!!!!!!!!!

I am only offended by you. They have written a few songs in the same key OMFG!!?!??! CALL THE RIFF POLICE!!?!?!

Are you serious? You actually called yourself a musician. Please just admit that was a lie, because I am, and I do "use my ears". You need to rephrase that comment "they are screwing you out of better material". You really mean that they are screwing YOU out of the material YOU want to hear. If U2 didn't try differnt styles, we would never have had TUF, JT, AB, Zooropa or Pop. They wouldnt have lasted to 1987 when you fell in love with them.

You don't like the style, I feel sorry for you, but don't dare insult me because I do like it. Don't even think about questioning the people here who take enjoyment out of these albums.

You missed the point again!!!! I said that they are not trying different stuff. I said that Get On Your Boots sounds like a cut off of the last two albums. Get with the program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom