Those of you who attended Elevation / Vertigo arena shows...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
What was the GA line like?

My only arena show was seats at Vertigo Minneapolis in 2005. However, having made front rail in Denver, out side rail in Salt Lake, and finally inner back rail in Minneapolis this year, I'm curious what it was like to 'compete' for a spot in the arena shows? Was it like trying to get front rail / back rail, wait 14 some hours get a number on your wrist / name on a list? Or was it something entirely different?

I didn't do GA for Elevation, but did for Vertigo. For some Elevation shows, you could stroll right into the heart shortly before the show just like you could waltz into the pit not too long before 360 shows (but more astounding, perhaps, because we're talking arena vs. stadium). For the rail, I'm sure you had to get there very early, though I don't know how early.

On Vertigo, there was a lottery to get into the ellipse; everyone else was outside the ellipse. That changed things a little bit, perhaps making it less important to camp for some (with the idea that you could still get into the ellipse any time you lined up if you scanned in the lottery), but also making it more important to camp for others (with the idea that the earliest campers who don't get the lottery can only get the outer rail, and all latecomers will end up further back in GA). So, Vertigo was kind of a different beast.

For the first DC Vertigo show, I got there around 6-6:30 AM, we were #39 & 40 in line (signed a list & got a # on your hand when you got in line). I hoped that being #40 would somehow be lucky for the lottery, but it wasn't. :sigh: Still, we were front & center on the outer rail of the ellipse. Perfect!

The behavior on 360 has me worried about how the GA lines for a future arena tour will work. People in Philly had camped out for something like 3 days, which is absurd. What is really stupid, IMO, is that because the policy was that they couldn't sleep overnight, they got to go home overnight. Not really "camping out," IMO. Worse still, while being "in line" during the daytime on those days before the show, they'd get to leave the line for hours on end.

To me, if you are "camping out" days before the show, you should be in line the entire time that you're camping out there. Yes, get out of line for meals & bathroom. But to be able to leave for hours and return at a "check-in time" is just stupid---it really defeats the whole purpose of camping out days before the show. Imagine being someone who is truly willing to camp out the night before the show & you find out you're 100th in line behind a bunch of people, many of whom may have spent 4 hours a day in line on each of the two days prior. A four-or-five-hour-a-day commitment for two days versus a real commitment of actually camping out straight. It doesn't add up to me. :shrug:

I completely get that many venues aren't letting people sleep overnight on or near the premises. However, how much would it completely suck to show up at 5AM and think you're maybe 10th in line, only to find out that 150 people come ambling in for their 6AM check-in, having gone home the night before.

I dunno. I don't have a better answer, I just think that this situation is pretty lame. Moreover, it bodes quite poorly for a truly fair arena GA experience on the next tour.

[/cranky post]

haha, yeah, the 360° "line captains" were something else. but there's a huge archived thread devoted to that, but it's pretty amazingly disgusting how fans decided to run GA lines.

I did GA on both Elevation and Vertigo a couple of times. On Elevation tour, I was only 14, and didn't camp out or anything. I went to both New Jersey shows in the fall of '01 and had general admission for one of them, got there fairly late (6:45 ish?) so we didn't bother 'competing' for a spot at all, and hung out towards the back near the mixing board, had a perfectly good time.

Vertigo tour, I did GA a few times. First time was the last show on the first leg of the tour in Boston, didn't get into the ellipse, but i was there around 10am? for my wristband to get into line. I wound up about one row of people back from the rail on the outside of the ellipse. people around me were fine.

I did it once in Philadelphia on Vertigo as well, and again, didn't get in the ellipse, hung out toward the mixing desk. perfectly fine, and less stress...nobody packed in around me, free to move if i have to.

I did get into the ellipse for the 12/4/05 show in Boston, and wound up with a rail spot toward the side of the ellipse on Edge's side, but close to the stage. I really don't remember what time I got there, but I think it was around 4 or 5. I didn't have any problems keeping my spot or worrying about others taking my spot or anything.

I would never camp out, especially with how people did here in the USA on 360. I note the USA part because people said it was run much better in Europe. I would consider camping if they played in East Hartford, CT, since UConn's stadium isn't far from where I live at all, so it wouldn't really be camping...just a walk to the park to hang out, literally.

It's cool to be up front once a tour or once in general, but totally not necessary. I've had just as great of a time hanging out back in GA, or in the stands.

Learning my lessons from a previous thread, I'm not touching this one!:wink:

lol, I only lined up for the Hawaii show(Anniversary coming up *sniff*)

After discovering, on 360, what great spots you can get after waltzing in after doors open, I think I'll be doing a lot less camping next time around. :zen: :beer:

Elevation NEC UK, arrived around 18.30, went to the back of a moving queue (doors had opened and it was a long queue but moving) and walked straight into an empty arena and picked our spots just on the outside of the heart, a few heads back, was perfect...

Vertigo, Nice, France - bloody nightmare lol - stadium but with very few seats so around 45,000 standing - did i say it was a bloody nightmare? lol
arrived at around 13.30, walked up to stadium from airport to find a massive disorderly queue system, picked my spot at the back of the queue, and spent the afternoon in scorching sun with no shade, no toilets, no nothing, apart from the fire brigade hosing the crowd down from their trucks! the gates failed to open simultaneously, resulting in fans getting hysterical (those who'd been camping out for two days lol! see it's pointless!), followed by a dangerous crush - worst concert experience ever!

On Elevation for the first leg you could basically get there any time in the morning or early afternoon and make it into the heart in just about every market. I did GA 5 times on the first leg of Elevation and made it into the heart every single time generally arriving around 10am. We got there at 7am one time on the first leg and were in the front row in front of Edge. Insanity began on the third leg of Elevation. Word got out apparently about GA and people camped out all night. I still got into the heart at the two GA shows I did (I had reserved seats for Notre Dame and St. Louis). But I got there generally around 6am and we were probably around 190 to 200 in line. I heard it got worse as the tour went on.

I retired from GA after Elevation. Burned out on it and decided my time was worth a nice slightly more expensive reserved seat. I had other considerations as well that made GA not conducive. Also when I found out it was a lottery on Vertigo (which I think was actually a good thing considering the insanity that occurred on the third leg of Elevation) it made the decision to go reserved even easier. I have only done reserved seating since.

i waited online for GA once... in philly on vertigo, because it was a saturday show. was supposed to be an overcast day with a chance of rain. i dressed accordingly.

it was 80 degrees and not a cloud in the sky. i got so incredibly sunburned that i was in pain for days. my feet couldn't move, my legs were sore, and all i wanted to do after the show was go to bed. never again.

you have all the time in the world to do it? hey... more power to ya. it was fun and all, but it wasn't for me. luckily i was able to get into the ellipse a few more times on that tour without needing to wait in line at all. but even if i didn't have access to that, i would have been happy at the back of the floor.

made it to the heart for DC 1 for elevation. spent time with my brother in line in the morning who i hadn't seen much. had a blast.

Didn't GA on Elevation. But on Vertigo I showed up at 4pm, lined up scanned in and was 2nd row between Bono and Adam. On the 1st leg they had separate lines for Fanclub vs non-fanclub which helped.

However, given the drama that was GA for 360, I have no idea what's going to happen next tour.

I was #30 in line for Anaheim 2 (4/24/01) on the Elevation tour and got there around 8:30am day of show. By the Boston Shows I attended (6/8 & 6/9) people had already started waiting overnight (Leaving the show on the 8th, and getting right back in line, and couple folks in line for 9th during 8th's show).

By the 3rd leg (US), lots of folks were waiting overnight, and you weren't gonna get in the heart getting there at 10am/Noon day of show any longer.

I made it in once on Elevation. (out of 2 GA shows)

By the time Vertigo came around with the lottery, I never really wanted to wait, and I never got scanned in the bomb shelter. U2RMW and I talked our way into the circle with the head tour guy (forget his name) for 4/14/2005, and that was the only time I was in the circle on that tour. So again only once out of 4 GA shows, not counting the 3/26 rehearsal since that wasn't really GA floor...

Now for 360, I saw 6 GA shows, and got in the "inner circle" both times I tried, including showing up at 7pm and making it inside on 9/13/09 show. The other inner circle show I did was Raleigh and I showed up at noon to get in the center of pit. I did outer rail once (waited 14 hours in Seattle for that) and 2-3 folks off rail showing up at 5:30pm for the Anaheim shows.

I never got buzzed into the ellipse with the lottery. Outer rail was achievable without camping out, but you had to get there early. 5-6am worked for me.

Only very slightly related, but I didn't want to start a new thread. Were the Slane shows the only outside/stadium shows on Elevation?

Only very slightly related, but I didn't want to start a new thread. Were the Slane shows the only outside/stadium shows on Elevation?

No. The show in Turin, Italy was a stadium show, as were the three shows in Arnhem, Netherlands (though the stadium roof was closed).

Back
Top Bottom