This is what it would sound like if the Backstreet Boys wrote Vertigo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Since when is Ultraviolet a "classic"? Personally, I've never been a fan of the song, I think it's quite dull and pathetic.

I'm not the biggest fan of Vertigo, either, but it's a fun rock song and a great live song/opener/closer.
same here

And you can forget, how to write sentences...
yeah yeah yeah yeah. :sexywink:

(forgot a verb there, eh?)

C'mon... WOWY is full of cliches and "oohs". "Ultraviolet" uses "baby" about 1000 times in the song. Oceans of songs by other artists uses "oohs", "aahs", "yeahs", etc., yet y'all love them. And Bono's use of words like "sky", "kiss", "kneel", etc., has been mocked since the 80's. Sorry you aren't old enough to have been in on the joke then. :wink:

Well we let Bono get away with forgetting lyrics to songs he has sang a couple of hundred times don't we? :wink:

Both those songs have something going for them musically at least; Vertigo on the other hand just sounds average; same with All Because of You. The songs with the weakest lyrics on Bomb also are the least interesting musically.

When songs like Mercy (although far from perfect) and Smile are left off the album in favour of U2 doing bland "oh look at us we can still rock out!" songs; it just brings down the album.

I don't think Vertigo is one of U2's best 20 songs
but to me it's still better than Mercy and Smile combined

if you want to compare Vertigo to other U2 songs than at least compare it to songs that set out to achieve the same result: a fun more rocking moment
songs like Mysterious Ways and Elevation
and I think it is probably the best out of the lot when you look at it like that

Back
Top Bottom