This is one of the best U2 performance videos I've ever seen:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think it's fine on DVD and 'works' in that sense. I mean, it's Numb. There's not a lot you can do with it. It is what it is. So if you like Numb - there it is. And if you don't - well, you don't. But I agree that in a stadium... tough. I bet he was effectively inaudible for most of the crowd.

I think it's fine on DVD and 'works' in that sense. I mean, it's Numb. There's not a lot you can do with it. It is what it is. So if you like Numb - there it is. And if you don't - well, you don't. But I agree that in a stadium... tough. I bet he was effectively inaudible for most of the crowd.

I'm pretty sure Edge performed Numb "live" at an MTV awards too, it seemd to work pretty well, but in a stadium setting it did kill the energy of the show a bit.

As for that performance of Mofo, I remember watching it live from Dublin and being totally blown away, and it still sounds and looks incredible, only bad thing about it as that asswipe from boyzone(who was presenting the show) appears right at the end.

If Ali didnt like this performance of Please she had to be smoking crack, this was the best version of the song, it came together perfectly.

numb wasn't just edge mumbling over playback...:huh: except the MTV awards obviously, that was pretty fucking ballsy haha

YouTube - ‪U2 - Numb (Live from Adelaide, Australia 1993)‬‏
doesn't QUITE live up to the studio version but still sounds great and it's not like he's just playing guitar/singing over a backing track. Adam/Larry are playing/singing, live keyboards too. the only real stand out playback apart from the obvious ton of sound effects and stuff is bono's fat lady vocal. sounds no more played over a backing track than what they do nowadays. :lol:

what really pissed me off though is how they went and put the original studio guitar part over the Sydney performance when re-releasing it on DVD. It's one thing to edit little guitar mistakes but to cut the guitar and put the studio version in is a different thing altogether...!!

what really pissed me off though is how they went and put the original studio guitar part over the Sydney performance when re-releasing it on DVD. It's one thing to edit little guitar mistakes but to cut the guitar and put the studio version in is a different thing altogether...!!

they do that but then don't touch bono murdering the open chords on dirty day...

Thank you for posting the Mofo and Please performances. I'd never seen the Mofo until now. Spectacular. Why they walked away from that monster is beyond me. I recall the Please performance. It was a bit jarring and dark. In retrospect it's one of their greatest moments but when it was broadcast I remember being a bit underwhelmed. I think they were ahead of the curve to do Please, and do that way, at that show. Impressive.

Thanks for the thread. I was looking at the Please performance only the other day. I remember these the first time around and they are still as fresh and new as ever. MTV still meant something back then.

Back
Top Bottom