Third-Eye Blind...BLATENT S.B.S. RIP OFF!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wasilefsky

The Fly
This may have already been discussed but holy crap...I can't stand the fact that I heard a Third-Eye Blind song on my Sirius radio that is a BLATENT rip off of Sunday Bloody Sunday!

If Joe Satriani can sue Coldplay, and Tom Petty the Red Hot Chilli Peppers, U2 should sue Third Eye Blind for this:

Third Eye Blind on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Listen to "Non-Dairy Creamer"

Good point on the Negativeland thing....HAHA I almost forgot about that!

U2 really doesn't need to sue anyone and I wouldn't even suspect that to ever happen. It kinda pissed me off when I heard that Tom Petty was suing The Red Hot Chilli Peppers when both bands have had highly successful careers regardless of a recently "ripped off" chord progression. (Same with the Satriani/Coldplay situation that has been in the news!)

Call me crazy but the Third-Eye Blind "Non-Dairy Creamer" song sounds WAAY more like a rip off than any of the Coldplay/Satriani or Petty/Peppers rip offs!

I was just curious to see if anyone else agrees and hears the rip off!!

I don't hear it.

But I have to say, this is the dumbest song (dumbest lyrics) I've ever heard. :doh:

It kinda pissed me off when I heard that Tom Petty was suing The Red Hot Chilli Peppers when both bands have had highly successful careers regardless of a recently "ripped off" chord progression. (Same with the Satriani/Coldplay situation that has been in the news!)

Call me crazy but the Third-Eye Blind "Non-Dairy Creamer" song sounds WAAY more like a rip off than any of the Coldplay/Satriani or Petty/Peppers rip offs!

I posted about this in another thread but its more relevant here.

That lawsuit is so stupid. Even if Coldplay "ripped" the chord progression, who gives a flying f**k. As far as I'm concerned to non-music technical people like me, its a small part of a song, there are so many other things (like the other instruments, vocal melody, lyrics, the actual sound of the guitar, the effects, the actual notes played, extra layers, the mixing, etc).

Just look at U2's version of Elevation and the Tomb Raider mix. Its the same song but the album version is a mediocre song and the single version is scorching just because of the way its mixed.

And hell, if anyone was going to sue Coldplay, it would be U2, because Lovers in Japan has pretty much the same guitar part as ISHFWILF. However, its a totally different song because of what they did with everything else. In a way I like that they are kinda playing off" I still haven't found what I'm looking for", with a song that's lyrics allude to someone finding what they've been looking for.

Oasis' Bag It Up has some bits which kinda sound like SBS as well (chord progression might be similar? I'm not technical enough to know, and drums around 3:30 are similar) but it still is a very different song to me. Theres just too many aspects to a song to say this one thing being the same or similar = plagiarism.

Also I'd like to note that Bono has mentioned in the past that "we took the riff from so and so" so U2 also builds their songs off other songs once in a while.

I really doubt U2 will sue anyone after the Negativland crap.

I really doubt U2 will sue anyone when they have absolutely no reason to, either. I listened to the song, and it is in no way a rip-off of SBS. It has a completely different chord progression, a completely different bass line, a completely different drum pattern, a completely different vocal delivery, etc. In order to launch a successful plagiarisation lawsuit in the music business, there has to be convincing evidence that the offending melody has been intentionally lifted from another song; I don't even have to pick up my guitar and work out "NonDairy Creamer" to know that this isn't the case.

I want to sue Third-Eye Blind for making my ears bleed for the 15 seconds I was attempting to find more similarities to SBS than a somewhat similar chord progression during.

Remember when their lead singer dated Charlize Theron?

Third Eye Blind was always better than Matchbox 20 but worse than Goo Goo Dolls. Together those bands made up the Axis of Bland.

TEV love U2. I have a live version of deep inside of you, where old-matey singer says to the guitarist 'do that thing U2 taught you!' and the guy plays I Will Follow. Then the singer says "thats the first song I ever learnt how to masturbate to! :lol:

I actually like Third Eye Blind. I'm a fan.

But I still don't hear the similarities between the two songs. It's like apples and oranges.

It sounds nothing like Sunday Bloody Sunday. Maybe the same opening guitar pattern but different key, melody and totally different percussion progression.

The tricky thing about infringement claims is that every progression has almost been done to death and most ideas have too making everything sound similar nowadays. Take me back to medieval times. :sad:

Just the first few notes might make you think it will be close to "Sunday", but it's very different. Third Eye Blind has always sucked, though. Very embarrassed U2 had them as an opening act in 1997. One of those '90s bands like Goo Goo Dolls and Matchbox 20 that really ruined the late '90s for me.

Can I just say I'm tired of the anal-retention/hypocrisy that goes on with these music-lawsuit cases? (This is a bit off-topic, sorry.) I realize there's a fine line to be drawn between "sue every bastard who uses the same two-notes we did" and "let everyone rip us off and profit by it", but surely the bands who are in comfortable positions financially (like, U2, Tom Petty, etc.) can rest at ease if a fellow artist "borrows" their chord-progression or a part of a melody, provided that it's "outed" by the media and that everyone knows who originated it.

It's a different story if (a) the artist being ripped off is struggling to pay the bills, like most musicians (not sure about Satriani -- does he need money? 'Cause he sure is making an ass of himself in the Coldplay case), or (b) if the "borrowing" is a complete rip-off to the point where the new song couldn't even exist without the old one (for example, Oasis's B-side "Step Out", which was supposed to be on Morning Glory until the first person who heard it matched it to Stevie Wonder's "Uptight" -- did he actually think he would get away with that??).

The cases that piss me off, though, are the ones like The Rolling Stones' management versus Richard Ashcroft and the Verve. Way back in 1964/65, Mick and Keith wrote a song, "The Last Time", which was a bit UK hit, going to #1. Some months later, their manager hires some studio musicians to do an orchestrated version of some of their songs, including "The Last Time", for which the orchestration sounds nothing like Mick and Keith's song. 32 years later, The Verve obtain permission to use a sample of the orchestration before releasing their record. When "Bittersweet Symphony" becomes a big hit, suddenly ABCKO and the Stones' publishing cry 'foul' and argue that Ashcroft used too much of the sample, even though the violin melody, the lyrics, and the lyrical melody have no basis in the old track (which Mick and Keith had nothing to do with in the first place). So now R.Ashcroft has to suffer the indignity of his biggest song being officially credited to "Jagger and Richards" even though they didn't write the melody of the orchestral version which he (legally and with permission) sampled. I'm sure it was Mick and Keith who initiated the legal proceedings in that case, but obviously they had the power to stop it from going through, which would have been the graceful thing to do, especially when The Stones made their whole career on copying old blues guys who never earned a cent.

What I'm saying is, all musicians, by necessity, borrow things. Famous and wealthy groups should have the grace to turn a blind eye unless it's totally obvious (I mean, like beyond obvious), or else they run the risk of invoking the wrath of the rock'n'roll gods. . .

Back
Top Bottom