Then vs Now

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

starvela

The Fly
Just want to get some thoughts on which live version of songs you'll prefer....

Unforgettable Fire...80's vs 360

EBTTRT...90's vs 360

Ultra Violet...ZOOTV vs 360

HMTMKMKM....Popmart vs 360

Look forward to hearing some opinions ...

UF on 360 was pretty good. Backed by the cool stage effect and the fact that Bono's vocals sounded a little better... Though he did change some lyrics. But the song still had that ethereal feel still.

EBTTRT hands down Zoo TV.

UV tough call.. But I will go with 360.

HMTMKMKM - 90's.

Unforgettable Fire: 360

Real Thing: the versions are totally different, but I say ZooTV/PopMart

Ultraviolet: equal

HMwhatever: I just hate that song for taking Ultraviolet's place.

Unforgettable Fire - U2360°, although I never got to see it live. :sad:

Even Better Than The Real Thing - All versions. Kick-ass opener on U2360° as well.

Ultraviolet - I liked both ZOO TV and U2360°, though like UF, I didn't get to see it live. :sad:

HMTMKMKM - U2360°, cause it was absolutely amazing.

Unforgettable Fire...80's vs 360

EBTTRT...90's vs 360

Ultra Violet...ZOOTV vs 360

HMTMKMKM....Popmart vs 360

Look forward to hearing some opinions ...

UF easily 80's by far
EBTTRT 360, i love the drums
UV tough..... probably zoo tv because of the guitar at the end
HMTMKMKM popmart

UF about the same
EBTTRT 360, great reworking/opener
UV love both, but prefer 360
HMKMKM Popmart wins, unlike the 90's songs reworked on 360 (see above) I think this one lost something. And I didn't care for the "they want their money back if you're alive at 33" line change on the last tour.

Unforgettable Fire...80's vs 360:I thought I would enjoy this more than I did. Only saw it live on 360- twice in NYC, and plenty of boots. The stage show was better for 360, but lacked something. The 80's shows had more oomph, I think.

EBTTRT...90's vs 360: Saw it in person on POPMART a bunch of times, many times on boots from the Zoo TV era. Saw it once on 360 at the East Rutherford show- easily the best version.

Ultra Violet...ZOOTV vs 360: I love this song, and I love all live versions I've seen on boots, and live. Saw it a couple of times live on 360. The voice was way more powerful in the 90's, but I live the theatrics on 360. My favorite 360 version is the first night of the tour in Barcelona- awesome video on Axver's site.

HMTMKMKM....Popmart vs 360: I saw this live 4 times on POPMART and once on 360 in East Rutherford. I think the POPMART versions had more grit- I like the coughing intro into "fuck this!".

Unforgettable Fire...80's vs 360:I thought I would enjoy this more than I did. Only saw it live on 360- twice in NYC, and plenty of boots. The stage show was better for 360, but lacked something. The 80's shows had more oomph, I think.

EBTTRT...90's vs 360: Saw it in person on POPMART a bunch of times, many times on boots from the Zoo TV era. Saw it once on 360 at the East Rutherford show- easily the best version.

Ultra Violet...ZOOTV vs 360: I love this song, and I love all live versions I've seen on boots, and live. Saw it a couple of times live on 360. The voice was way more powerful in the 90's, but I live the theatrics on 360. My favorite 360 version is the first night of the tour in Barcelona- awesome video on Axver's site.

HMTMKMKM....Popmart vs 360: I saw this live 4 times on POPMART and once on 360 in East Rutherford. I think the POPMART versions had more grit- I like the coughing intro into "fuck this!".

I agree with all of this. UV vocals were better in the 90s, for sure.

The rest is spot on. I love the 360 Even Better really danceable.

I love the 360 Even Better really danceable.

Absolutely! The build up and lift off were incredible. Everyone was jumping up and down and shouting with the rhythm. (ok, we were about 10 feet from the stage, but the rest of the stadium was rocking). All other tours, it was cool, but more of a passive experience.

It's very interesting to me to see how they structure and present a song to get people feeding back. COBL to me is a good song on the album, but it took off on Vertigo. People were involved. COBL on 360, at the shows I saw had minimal crowd movement.

I think the big miss for 360 was the Breathe entry. The build up was cool, the lift off started and them plummeted back to earth immediately. If they'd figured out how to get the wind under the wings after takeoff, it could've been great. Same with the BD entrance. Bleh.

UF back in the 80s, as it annoys me how bad he fucks up the lyrics. Though the musical performance was better on 360.

The rest, all 360. EBTTRT has a great new vibe, UV has better vocals IMO(though not all nights, Rose bowl SUCKED) where he's not doing the macphisto voice but actually belting out "sleep on stoooooones" and that stuff... and Batman, yeah, much more spectacular this time around, especially with the laser suit. :

UF: 80's...The 'stay in this time' part was very weak.
EBTTRT: tie between Popmart and 360
UV: definitely Zoo TV, because of the bridge. Washington 1992 is my favourite version.
HMTMKMKM: Popmart

The Unforgettable Fire - 360
Even Better Than The Real Thing - ZooTV and PopMart
Ultra Violet - ZooTV
HMTMKMKM - slightly PopMart

Great thread idea! :up:

Since I've seen all of these on the original tours I would have to say:

TUF - Tough choice, I saw them twice on the TUF Tour and first time around they struggled with all of the new material but by the second time around they were much better.... I would have to say a slight nod to TUF.... but the 360 lighting was pretty cool.

EBTTRT - While I would think I would say ZooTV - the last 360 show I attended they killed this song (and all of the other AB songs) that night. Edge was truly on fire that night - slight Edge to 360

UltraViolet - Definitely 360 - I saw a bunch of Zoo shows and never really cared for the beginning of the song... usually Bono calling someone... although the Help intro was pretty great. But listening to Edge on both renditions I have to say 360 - he plays differing parts that really brought out the sound.

HMTMKMKM - Tough choice.... I guess I would say PopMart by a small amount.

Unforgettable Fire...80's vs 360 - This ones a toss up, gonna go with 80's though for young Bono's voice.

EBTTRT...360 - Man, what an opener. Loved the intro, the whole thing was exciting and high energy. Great stuff.

Ultra Violet...360

HMTMKMKM....Popmart - "Fuuuuuck this!!!!!!!!!!" - Can't be beat, lot more grit on Popmart. Edge's guitar sound was so good.

I saw uf on 360 and they botched it. lol. Just swing a miss. I heard a 80's live version and that was better.

slightly prefer zoo UV.

The other two are close calls. Could just depend what mood im in.

TUV: Haven't heard enough 80's versions to make the determination. 360 sounded alright though.
EBTTRT: 360. It just has a lot more punch in its original key.
Ultra Violet: ZooTV, definitely.
HMTMKMKM: Pretty close, but I would probably lean towards the 360 version.

Surprised you didn't ask about Bullet or The Fly since they'd be two songs that have undergone the most change over the years.

Unforgettable Fire...80's vs 360: 80's.

EBTTRT...90's vs 360: 360.

Ultra Violet...ZOOTV vs 360: Zoo TV.

HMTMKMKM....Popmart vs 360: Either as there isn't much difference.

UF: 80's, though 360 versions weren't poor performances by any means

EBTTRT: close, I thought the 360 arrangement was great and had a better groove than ZooTV, but the opening show theatrics of ZooTV on top of Bono's badass delivery I think give it a very slight edge

UV: tied, but the greatest version in history is without a doubt Washington 8-6-1992

Hold Me: toss up...maybe sliiight edge to Popmart

Imo for an opening song its all about the 4/4 over everything. EVERYTHING.

That leaves quite a bit to choose from
lol.gif

The Unforgettable Fire - 80's by a country mile and back

Even Better Than The Real Thing - ZooTV is the only real performance of this song

Ultra Violet - ZooTV version is epic!

HMTMKMKM - Popmart easily

Back
Top Bottom