The Unforgettable Fire without Pride.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hell, without Pride on this album, I doubt U2 would have ever got to the level where we are discussing them and this song nearly 30 years later.

I for one (and from what I can tell, the OP too) aren't disputing it's a great thing Pride IS on the album in terms of what it meant for the band's rise at that time. Thank goodness they had a blockbusting big single to get them in the charts, on the radio, play at Live Aid etc. I just don't think it fits with the rest of the record in terms of feel.

I for one (and from what I can tell, the OP too) aren't disputing it's a great thing Pride IS on the album in terms of what it meant for the band's rise at that time. Thank goodness they had a blockbusting big single to get them in the charts, on the radio, play at Live Aid etc. I just don't think it fits with the rest of the record in terms of feel.

Agreed...and I think it's pretty clear that's what people are saying.

:yes:

Every U2 album has its mixture of radio hits+angsty+political+ethereal+subdued+fist-pumping etc etc. Without this mix its not a U2 album. It's....well nevermind. ;)

Maybe it might not seem like it fits because there's 1 maybe 2 b-sides (at best) on the album that drag it down and could have been scrapped in favour of gems like Love Comes Tumbling etc. Other songs on the album have typical potentially radio friendly song structures also, Pride is not alone in that regard. Pride also works well as a bridge from the politically charged previous album, War.

Pride? Fits just fine to me, in answer to David's original question.

Every U2 album has its mixture of radio hits+angsty+political+ethereal+subdued+fist-pumping etc etc. Without this mix its not a U2 album. It's....well nevermind. ;)

Maybe it might not seem like it fits because there's 1 maybe 2 b-sides (at best) on the album that drag it down and could have been scrapped in favour of gems like Love Comes Tumbling etc. Other songs on the album have typical potentially radio friendly song structures also, Pride is not alone in that regard. Pride also works well as a bridge from the politically charged previous album, War.

Pride? Fits just fine to me, in answer to David's original question.

I wholeheartedly agree with GVox here...Pride was a total bridge to the new U2 sound/style, whatever you want to call it. I can remember being a bit disappointed that TUF was so 'different' from War, other than Pride...LOL...TUF Remaster is my favorite of all the re-issue/remasters! Thinking back to late '84 I never would have thought I'd love it so much.

Here's what should have or at least could have happened around that time IMO; TWO albums: TUF should have included Pride as well as Love Comes Tumbling and The Three Sunrises but not included 4th of July and Elvis Presley and America. The 2nd album could have been an experimental type album and included those latter two songs as well as the other more "ambient" B-sides from around that time and maybe been released in '85. Also, if Bad had been done on the album like it was later done live I think it could have been a hit single. I think this reworked TUF could have been huge. Pride is fantastic but I feel they held too much back on the rest of the album and didn't unleash their full potential. So I guess my idea is kind of the opposite of what the OP suggested!

Here's what should have or at least could have happened around that time IMO; TWO albums: TUF should have included Pride as well as Love Comes Tumbling and The Three Sunrises but not included 4th of July and Elvis Presley and America. The 2nd album could have been an experimental type album and included those latter two songs as well as the other more "ambient" B-sides from around that time and maybe been released in '85. Also, if Bad had been done on the album like it was later done live I think it could have been a hit single. I think this reworked TUF could have been huge. Pride is fantastic but I feel they held too much back on the rest of the album and didn't unleash their full potential. So I guess my idea is kind of the opposite of what the OP suggested!

huh. that's actually a great idea. kinda wanna make a TUF 2.0 playlist splitting it into 2 albums traditional and ambient

I think the unforgettable fire is one of my least listened to U2 albums. Growing up I did love the documentary though! I watched that a million times.

They needed Pride to carry the album. The problem with No Line is that it didn't have a "Pride" on it. A strong single, whether coherent or not, is a necessary vehicle.

I haven't thought about it before, but Pride really doesn't fit the ethereal feeling created by the other sings on TUF. I usually skip it because I've heard it so often that I would rather hear something else than take the time to listen to it again.

But if I were to remove a song from TUF, it would be "Elvis Presley and America." That pile of noise can barely be called a song and is the Worst U2 Song Ever(TM). I've expressed my hatred for that... thing before, so I'll stop there.

I haven't thought about it before, but Pride really doesn't fit the ethereal feeling created by the other sings on TUF. I usually skip it because I've heard it so often that I would rather hear something else than take the time to listen to it again.

But if I were to remove a song from TUF, it would be "Elvis Presley and America." That pile of noise can barely be called a song and is the Worst U2 Song Ever(TM). I've expressed my hatred for that... thing before, so I'll stop there.

:(

I love EPAA, I think it's gorgeous, one of the best atmospheric pieces they've ever done. Takes me to another world.

EPAA had potential. If Bono had done another, clearer take on the vocal, it would be a fan favorite.

The last minute of EPAA is better than anything on the second half outside of Bad.

Pride is crucial to TUF and I don't want to imagine the album without it.

I couldn't imagine TUF without Pride. The theme and atmosphere of the song may be different from the rest of the album but I think it does anchor the album musically to that classic U2 sound. I love the way it leads into Wire.

The whole album is gorgeous. So for me, TUF is perfect ~wouldn't want to change a thing.

And to think this album will be 30 years old in 2014...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom