The Unforgettable Black Hole (live)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snowlock

Refugee
I wasn't following them back then and maybe that's telling, but what is the deal with the lack of pro shot video of the Unforgettable Fire Tour years, 84-86? The Remastered TUF brought us nothing and its really surprising that for how long they toured, and how active they were in Conspiracy of Hope, and Live Aid, etc, that there is so little out there except for Pride and Bad.

Everything else that I can find pro-shot like the Dortmund Show, the Dublin documentary etc all feature older stuff; IWF, SBS etc. I just would really like to see some pro shot footage of TUF, Wire, ASOH... Someone needs to uncover some lost tapes or something!

It costs money to stage a video shoot. They didn't have it then and nor was their record company willing to pay.

Pity none of the European festivals they played in summer of 1985 were filmed. I reckon that would have been the best bet.

Also the UARBS video was possibly still selling well.

It costs money to stage a video shoot. They didn't have it then and nor was their record company willing to pay.

This is true, but there is a surprising amount of proshot footage of U2 live in the early eighties compared to the UF Tour.

That and the least amount of high quality bootlegs of any tour.

The owls are not what they seem.

That and the least amount of high quality bootlegs of any tour.

What would be a high quality bootleg that would be on comparison to pro shot?

Also, plenty was filmed; all the conspiracy of hope stuff was filmed, Croke Park back then was filmed. Dortmund was filmed. But whenever you find that stuff everything but Pride and Bad have been edited out. Which sucks.

That Dortmund show just seems like a War show with Pride and Bad. Wasn't it also a festival and not a proper UF Tour show?

I wanna see them play ASOH, Wire, Indian Summer Sky and UF!

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

That Dortmund show just seems like a War show with Pride and Bad. Wasn't it also a festival and not a proper UF Tour show?

I wanna see them play ASOH, Wire, Indian Summer Sky and UF!

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Dunno if it was a proper show or not, but the UF songs other than pride and bad were actually edited out by whatever tv show it was that broadcast it:

Main Set: 11 O'Clock Tick Tock, I Will Follow, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Electric Co., A Sort of Homecoming, MLK, The Unforgettable Fire, Bad, October, New Year's Day, Pride, Gloria, 40

It would be a real treat for the old (and new) fans if U2 could spend some
of their cash in doing a clean up and restoration of some of these early
concert films and music videos. Some of us grew up watching them on
the early MTV and old VHS cassetes.
Looking at them today it looks like it was filmed in the 1940s.

Its no wonder they never released a Greatest Hits cd+DVD with the old
music videos or concert footage. :(

It would be a real treat for the old (and new) fans if U2 could spend some
of their cash in doing a clean up and restoration of some of these early
concert films and music videos. Some of us grew up watching them on
the early MTV and old VHS cassetes.
Looking at them today it looks like it was filmed in the 1940s.

Its no wonder they never released a Greatest Hits cd+DVD with the old
music videos or concert footage. :(

Most of the old U2 stuff was shot on SD video, which didn't look that good to begin with and degrades over time...there's not much that can be done about that. U2 didn't start shooting in HD until Vertigo, including obviously U23D. I'm not certain whether the 2005 Vertigo show was shot with HD cameras or not (it has been shown on HD.net, but that may have been an up conversion). Despite their comments to the contrary, I do think the band will eventually release U23D in some HD format eventually...either BD or digital download. They own the home video rights (along with Universal), and I find it hard to believe they'd just let the first 3D rock concert movie ever vanish into history.

What can be improved is all the beautiful footage Joanou shot for R&H, which was primarily shot on film. That movie could certainly benefit from a full restoration and new 4K scan. But that would be up to Paramount, who last time I checked still owns the right to R&H and sadly I doubt they're going to drop the money to do it.

I'd love to see U2 try to buy the rights back and restore it for a deluxe R&H remaster, but Paramount knows U2 has deep pockets and likely won't let it go cheaply. Which is a shame, because all of that film, not to mention hours and hours of unused footage is likely just sitting in a vault somewhere degrading.

The relative lack of high quality boots from this tour has always disappointed me as well, especially since the ones the are available are often heavy with pre-TUF material.

Probably my favorite boot from the tour is Chicago '85 because it heavily features TUF.

There is some fine quality bootlegs from this tour. In particular there's a few shows from the Nov / Dec 84 UK leg which have astonishing quality.

Still my favourite tour. There's just something special about it.

The soundboard of the Nantes show features a very rare performance of 'Indian Summer Sky'

Sent from my GT-I9195 using U2 Interference mobile app

I saw them on both North American legs of this tour and the first time around I remember them really struggling with TUF songs. if memory serves me The Wire, TUF and ASOH were a shambles, but by the time they came back they really had the material down.

The soundboard of the Nantes show features a very rare performance of 'Indian Summer Sky'

:up:

There is some fine quality bootlegs from this tour. In particular there's a few shows from the Nov / Dec 84 UK leg which have astonishing quality.

Still my favourite tour. There's just something special about it.

Not sure after all these tours and shows I've seen this was my favorite but the fondness I have in memories of this tour is just fantastic. Looking back, I think the band was just on the edge of really breaking it big and everyone just kind of knew they were going to be something very special but in that almost "in-between" time was kinda very special.

Probably my favorite boot from the tour is Chicago '85 because it heavily features TUF.

How is the sound quality of this boot? I've seen it out there but wondered if it was worth my time downloading.

Back
Top Bottom