The U2 "Twenty Fifth Song Played At A Concert" Survivor - Round One

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote for your LEAST favourite song that U2 played as the 25th song in a set.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • With Or Without You

• All I Want Is You

• Bad

• Out Of Control

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

liamcool

Blue Crack Addict
deep in absolutely bullshit historical theory/trau
Please note: this is not a joke. This is a very real thing. Please vote with consideration. No alters, please.

ALRIGHT THEN KIDDOS. YOU KNOW HOW THAT BAND THE YOU TOO PLAY LIVE GIGS, AND THEY NEVER PLAY LONG ENOUGH. PEOPLE COMPLAIN ABOUT HOW THEY ONLY PLAYED FOURTEEN SONGS IN BATH IN NINETEEN EIGHTY ONE. YOU GO AWAY WANTING MORE.

BUT ON OCCASION, THEY PULL IT OUT. WHEN BONO LOOKS MORE LIKE THE MELTED EASTER BUNNY CHOCOLATE FROM TWENTY ELEVEN. WHEN LARRY'S GETTING FARMYARD BODILY FLUIDS INJECTED INTO HIMSELF. WHEN EDGE IS BUSY PLAYING A MOOG TAURUS BECAUSE FUCK PLAYING GEETAR WITH YOUR HANDS. WHEN ADAM IS BEING A SILVER FOX, EVEN THOUGH FOXES ARE TYPICALLY REDHEADS. HE CROSSES SPECIES, YO!

SO ON OCCASION THEY PLAY THESE MAMMOTH CONCERTS, AND AFTER ABOUT TWENTY FOUR SONGS, THEY BEGIN TO THINK "WHAT ELSE CAN WE GIVE PEOPLE WHO PAID REAL CANADIAN DOLLARS THAT WILL MAKE THEIR NIGHT JUST THAT MUCH BETTER?!" AND SO, THE TWENTY FIFTH SONG OF THE CONCERT IS ALWAYS SOMETHING SPECIAL, ISN'T IT. I MEAN, NOBODY GIVES A FUCK WHEN THE RAMONES PLAY TWENTY FIVE SONGS, BUT YOU TOO, WOW.

SO LET'S PLAY A SURVIVOR, MUCH IN THE VEIN OF THE PREDECESSORS LIKE THE DAVID BOWIE SURVIVOR (currently going on in Bang and Clatter), THE WORST U2 SONG (2012...?) AND THE BEST MIX OF WHERE THE STREETS HAVE NO NAME (extended single mix, of course). LET'S PLAY IT LIKE WE ALWAYS DO - VOTE FOR THE WORST SONG IN THIS SEMI-ARBITRARILY COLLECTED GROUP OF SONGS, THEN WE ELIMINATE THE ONE EVERYONE LIKES THE LEAST. THEN WE ELIMINATE THE SECOND CHEAPEST WINE ON THE MENU. I MEAN THE SECOND LEAST FAVOURITE SONG. YOU KNOW.

Okay, enough silliness. I feel like doing a survivor, and I think this could be an intriguing way of collecting a group of songs that wouldn't be grouped together normally without having Streets or One win the polls as usual. Sometimes a concert is long and they keep with their planned encores - sometimes they pull from the deepest pockets of energy they have and pull out something special that you wouldn't normally hear. An especially long U2 concert is special, or something. Special.

These polls will collect all of the songs that have been played 25th in a concert. There are only a few - this is just a quick dose of silliness to see what happens when we think about things in terms of setlist construction and what quality songs they put at the very end opposed to at the middle.

Please vote for your LEAST favourite songs. Polls will last approximately 24 hours. Polls will end at midday GMT. No strategic voting.

Also, if you don't vote for a song entitled "Red Light" you will be mildly chastised. Vote wisely.

THANKS

SPECIAL FANKS TO THE DUDES AT U2GIGS FOR HAVING THE AMOUNT OF SONGS PER CONCERT AT THE SIDE OF EACH CONCERT, IT TOOK LIKE TWENTY MINUTES TO FIGURE THIS OUT. LOVE. PEACE. THE REFUGEE

Also: We couldn't afford the rights to even name the song that people sing in response to growing older, so that's not on here. I'd say "no covers" but Can't Help Falling In Love was an integral part of ZooTV so that stays.

Please note: while this is pretty jovial in tone, I am serious about seeing how this'll play out. So y'know, don't boo or delete it because it's silly.

Last edited:
See, we don't need to talk about shit. This is the internet. If you feel like starting a survivor, it's motherfucking survivor time.

I liked Yahweh live very much. Vertigo needs to go, playing a song twice in a show is just lame, if your name isn't Kanye West/Jay-Z

Oh my god.

Oh my yahweh, you could say. Especially since that's my vote. At least Can't Help Falling in Love was paired with Love Is Blindness. Yahweh was just a snooze.

Yahweh is one of those songs where I truly feel embarrassed for this band. Live or studio.

How do you get from Wake Up Dead Man to this in seven years?

Moment of Surrender. How that song is supposed to be a great closer I'll never understand. Truly one of their most overrated songs.

Moment of Surrender is a great song, but not that great as a closer. It's easier to throw Yahweh out first.

I went with "Can't Help Falling In Love" not because I thought the rendition was anything special, but because I remember being blown away by the transition from LIB.

I haven't participated in a U2 Survivor thread since everyone had to post their vote and we had to count them all by hand and announce the winner in the next thread.

Yahweh is not a good song, at any point in the set list.

Where the hell is the next poll, Liam! I absolutely must have a chance to express my opinion on my second-least favourite song to be played as the 25th song of a set by U2. My life just won't be complete otherwise. :tsk:

Back
Top Bottom