The U2 Conference is Back! April 2013!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes. Its mission is twofold:

1. Determine what beloved U2 single The Hive should disregard this year.
2 . Decide who will be bringing the refreshments for the annual Achtung Baby Celebration Year.

Yes. Its mission is twofold:

1. Determine what beloved U2 single The Hive should disregard this year.
2 . Decide who will be bringing the refreshments for the annual Achtung Baby Celebration Year.

I did laugh out loud at number one!

It looks interesting, but I'm not really sure as to what it's goal is yet. I know all sorts of bands have fans that do meet-ups with cover bands, videos, drinks and that whole lot. But the academia-like aspect of it is throwing me off a bit.

Judging from the web site, this thing sounds awful. And, at best, silly.

Don't get me wrong....I have no problem with U2 fans getting together for a convention...listening to U2, watching the vids, buying stuff, getting drunk and hooking up, just like at a Comicon.

However, as far as the over serious, academic nature of this event...give me a break. Reminds me of those "U2 and Philosophy" books you seen in the remainder bin at the book store. It's rock music for crying out loud, and as such any academic study of it is just silly. Something tells me U2 would agree.

Judging from the web site, this thing sounds awful. And, at best, silly.

Don't get me wrong....I have no problem with U2 fans getting together for a convention...listening to U2, watching the vids, buying stuff, getting drunk and hooking up, just like at a Comicon.

However, as far as the over serious, academic nature of this event...give me a break. Reminds me of those "U2 and Philosophy" books you seen in the remainder bin at the book store. It's rock music for crying out loud, and as such any academic study of it is just silly. Something tells me U2 would agree.

Bill Flanagan would disagree!

"The aristocrats who fall on the floor writing and swallowing their tongues when writers put rock & roll into the same boat as high art, poetry, philosophy, and other university subjects should get out [of this book, U2 at the End of the World] now. You won't like it here. But if you want to understand U2, you have to understand how they draw from the highbrow stuff as well as the dumb things down in rock & roll's designated station."

Bill Flanagan would disagree!

"The aristocrats who fall on the floor writing and swallowing their tongues when writers put rock & roll into the same boat as high art, poetry, philosophy, and other university subjects should get out [of this book, U2 at the End of the World] now. You won't like it here. But if you want to understand U2, you have to understand how they draw from the highbrow stuff as well as the dumb things down in rock & roll's designated station."

Yeah. And Flanagan would be wrong. And silly. And I'm surprised he wrote that, since his (otherwise excellent) book basically just described U2 spending a good bit of their time partying and fighting among themselves about things like revenue split, supermodels and drinking snake blood.

From the website hyping (if you'll excuse the pun) this event:

U2 has reconstructed their images over time as individuals and a band, on artistic, professional, and political levels, raising questions such as, but not limited to:

What is the nature of this metamorphosis?
How and where are these conversions evident?
What effect does U2’s changes have on their audience and the audience have on U2’s changes?
How does the band translate its experience of contemporary Ireland and the world into its music and tours?
How has U2 mediated other artistic and music genres into its work?
How does the band negotiate the boundaries of its subject matter and audience?
How has U2 maintained relevance within a changing music business?
When and how has U2 transgressed a boundary, and to what effect?
In what ways does the U2 fan and concert experience rise above the corporeal, liminal, and temporal?

Like I said, silly. And embarrassing, since they're actually serious about this. If people want to waste their time (and money) on stuff likee this, fair enough, but U2 is not a Junior College freshman philosophy class, and treating their music as such IMO is absurd.

Yea, I guess this isn't something I'd get into. Sounds like work to me. I get that some people find a more academic angle to it- I took a class in college that studied the poetry and cultural impact of rock lyrics, and it was a very popular class- but for me this goes a little too far for one band. But if people want to get together and do this, fine. Not really for me. Unless it would involve lots of wine and cocktails. Then maybe.

I actually find the academic angle to be somewhat interesting, although easy to take to ridiculous extremes. But I do find that U2 often produces music that can truly be thought about, sometimes for its societal music, reflection, or other such value (the Zoo era is especially heavy on this for me).

I actually find the academic angle to be somewhat interesting, although easy to take to ridiculous extremes. But I do find that U2 often produces music that can truly be thought about, sometimes for its societal music, reflection, or other such value (the Zoo era is especially heavy on this for me).

I certainly see that point of view too. I mean, I never really browsed at the books in the music section where people reflected more on the religious or societal aspect of the band's music. It's certainly not limited to just U2 either (I've seen similar stuff done for shows like The Simpsons among other things). But to be honest, I don't know a whole lot about it either. I get that people play their music during church services and see some deeper aspect into it, and that's fine by me. Whatever floats your boat. I suppose I can't really judge the academia aspect of the conference either without knowing more about it or seeing it in person. But from a first glance, it does seem like it could be a bit of overkill.

Has anyone been to this thing or something similar to it? The idea of a U2 conference does sound intriguing, but the extent of a get-together for me and bands have usually been concerts in the end! I have been open to going to one though in the future...

Maybe we can get U2 to play at this conference for us, and play the Kunstmuseum Liechtenstein set.

I think it's interesting, I'd go there, and I work in an academic environment. U2 is one of the bands that can be dealt with on a more serioous level. I'm all for it. I have witnessed a lot of conferences on popular music and also on single bands and artists, dead and alive. A lot of interesting books have been written about U2, the philosophy, spirituality and poetry behind their music and the band itself. I don't always agree, but that's not the problem. I'm interested in a lot of stuff and I'm glad and proud to be fan of a band that delivers some serious thought material. I don't find the conference silly, but it depends on the approach and the people who speak there. I think it could be quite inspirational.

Yea uhm, I love the band... but this is even far too much for me to take.

I listen to music to relax. If I want to talk academic shit, I"ll go to Uni to take subjects.

The first conference was amazing. It also took place the weekend of a U2 show in proximity to a U2 show. Bono even gave us a shoutout from the stage. I'd say it changed my life for the better.

Some of us make our living writing poems, studying poems, writing books, studying books. U2 are already all of these things = literature, art, poetry, theology, politics. When I was a teenager, we got advice about literature, art, poetry, theology, politics from U2. Some of us still do.

There's an old saying about "contempt prior to investigation," which is perhaps where the negativity comes from in this thread. Surely, it's not for everyone, but for those of us who work and write in the university context, this is by no means out of league.

The rock hall is a great venue for this too.

I'm interested in a lot of stuff and I'm glad and proud to be fan of a band that delivers some serious thought material.

Me too. I really am trying not to sound snobby while saying this, but this thread shows that some people have never had a deep thought while listening to U2, and that surprises me; to say that they're just a rock band that doesn't merit any philosophical discussion makes me think that people haven't really been paying attention. But I do understand that not everyone sees them that way or thinks that way.

I don't know if that's fair- understanding the deep philosophical ideas within U2's music, relating them to your life and discussing with other fans is different than devoting an entire conference to the academic discussion of those ideas, complete with itineraries and structured lectures.

Just because I think it's overkill doesn't mean I don't feel and understand the music on a deeper level.

But like I said, if a conference like this floats your boat, then enjoy-

I don't know if that's fair- understanding the deep philosophical ideas within U2's music, relating them to your life and discussing with other fans is different than devoting an entire conference to the academic discussion of those ideas, complete with itineraries and structured lectures.

Just because I think it's overkill doesn't mean I don't feel and understand the music on a deeper level.

But like I said, if a conference like this floats your boat, then enjoy-

Yeah pretty much that. Sure, I may sometimes have deeper thoughts with their music, but mostly... Why would I bother? I listen to music to relax, to enjoy it... I'm already permanently plagued by thoughts and overthink almost everything. If I can't have my music to give some peace and quiet in my head, then what's left?

The first conference was amazing. It also took place the weekend of a U2 show in proximity to a U2 show. Bono even gave us a shoutout from the stage. I'd say it changed my life for the better.

Some of us make our living writing poems, studying poems, writing books, studying books. U2 are already all of these things = literature, art, poetry, theology, politics. When I was a teenager, we got advice about literature, art, poetry, theology, politics from U2. Some of us still do.

There's an old saying about "contempt prior to investigation," which is perhaps where the negativity comes from in this thread. Surely, it's not for everyone, but for those of us who work and write in the university context, this is by no means out of league.

Well worth repeating. Especially the part about being given a lil nod by Bono himself. Add "acknowledged" to my previous statement, also.

Hope it's as successful as the first one! :up:

Speaking as an academic who just got back from a (pretty good) conference, I'm in no hurry to mesh any band I like with the possible drudgery and/or stress of a conference. My idea of music at conferences is retiring to my room at the end of the day to listen to some cool tunes.

That said, if they were to put me on a plane to talk about setlists, then sure.

I think the flabbergasting thing about the idea is that it would have to be nearly the nerdiest thing in history? I mean I love the band and I think their lyrics are quite deep, but I'd have to kill myself if I went to a "conference" to discuss the philosophy behind the band. I'm with nick on this one, but to each their own.

All that said, I do already have tens of thousands of posts on a U2 forum. That's pretty nerdy.

Axver said:
That said, if they were to put me on a plane to talk about setlists, then sure.

Didn't U2 call you to their headquarters in Dublin?

I think the flabbergasting thing about the idea is that it would have to be nearly the nerdiest thing in history?

You clearly haven't seen what some academic conferences are about! How about these forthcoming ones?

- The Authenticity of Emotions: Sceptical and Sympathetic Sociability in the Eighteenth-Century British Public Sphere
- Re-interpreting Blackstone’s Commentaries: the Evolution and Influence of a Seminal Text in National and International Context
- Rust, Regeneration and Romance: Iron and Steel Landscapes and Cultures

Didn't U2 call you to their headquarters in Dublin?

:lmao:

The last conference was intriguing and enlightening in many respects. Whilst some of it was too overloaded with wordy, heavy, tortured Christian / over-earnest political scientist analytical theorising for my meagre (and painfully hungover) intellect, there was enough going on elsewhere to be able to easily dodge all that.

Neil McCormick gave a thoroughly hilarious and revealing talk about U2's earliest days. Matt McGee presented about the development of fan-based social media. Prof Barbara gave a talk about the demographics of the GA queue for the Dublin shows (which I missed cos I couldn't get into the room as it was packed). You could slide down the surface if you wanted to.

And I remember the buffet lunch was bloomin marvellous too. You could pick n mix, just like the sessions.

I'd certainly go again if Cleveland was on the Piccadilly Line.

I have it on good authority that the band thinks that this and events like it are an utter and complete waste of time.

Bono thinks that if you want to understand U2's music better, pick up a newspaper. Or read the Bible. Or better yet, just play one of their f**king records.

This information has been confirmed and verified.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom