The song that defines U2's sound??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
definately magnificent, it has lyrics which are so reminicent of u2 through the ages and the musical side of things it has edges trademark delay with quite a bit of pride in there and a nice long crescendo like Where The Streets Have No Name also there is a nice milky guitar solo(like EBTTRT/Please etc etc..)

The only thing it doesn't have, and this is quite crucial to it being an "ultimate U2 song," is a decent chorus. There's all this potential, and then we get "only love..." , which just ruins the entire song.

That lyric defines what U2 has sung about their whole career though, so thats your own personal opinion. But alot of U2's biggest songs have love in the main chorus ie: WTSHNN and Pride

Ultra Violet, it´s pure U2, beautiful gitar part, falsetto, bass, emotional lyrics, great rhythm. In one word - brilliant!

I agree we have to be going for something more recent that looks back and forward all at the same time, for that it's Magnificent, it kind of lacks the post-punk early U2 rock, but it does have Larry's militaristic drumming.

Although 'Disappearing Act' sounds the most like every U2 sound in a blender.

Where the Streets Have No Name

Not my favorite by any means, but it looks like the most memorable song of the 00s will end up being Beautiful day.

(I prefer Moment of Surrender, Original of The Species, In a Little While.)

Pride. Just a classic example of their sound with all the key elements happening in full force.

pride. i honestly believe if you would play any five seconds of this song to any random listener chances are that he or she will recognize it as u2. must be the sound.

:lol:

Great minds think alike. I was reading the earlier posts before replying, and before I read yours I was thinking to myself, "you can tell U2 did Pride before the first five seconds are up."

My first reaction to this post was WOWY, because there have only been two or three people I came across who never heard of U2. I played WoWY to them and they just couldn't stop listening to it.

But I understand that the thread is not about what's best but what's most representative. I think COBL comes pretty close, and I also agree with whoever said Electric Co. and maybe as a wild card, GLORIA

EDIT: Ultraviolet and streets as well. Can't choose between all these

I don't particularly buy that U2 has a singular "sound" per se, but I'm certain that Pride succinctly represents the sound they're best known for in the general public.

Until The End of the World

It has the anthemic sound of the 80's. It has the deep layers of sound of the 90's. It has the roughness and maturity of the 00s. And it rocks like no other live! God....it really does rock live!

Pride, I was thinking of the exact same reasons doctorwho posted before I even read his post.

If you were to pick 1 song that would sum up all of U2's sound (as in all of their decades, emotions, atmosphere rolled into one), which song would you pick? If some one has never heard of U2 and wanted to understand their style, which song would you play for them to display U2's sound??

Here is my pick

Electrical Storm (This song encompasses all of their decades and styles rolled into one)

and a close second song that defines U2 for me is:

Magnificent
(once again the anthem of the early 80's, the melodic sounds from the late 80's, the techno/ electronica from the 90's, and the pure rock of the 00's)

Which song defines U2 as a band for you?

I don't think it could have been said better! These songs absolutely encompass their overall sound and represent the sound that has been spread across decades!

Back
Top Bottom