The SAD at People trashing HTDAAB Thread - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2009, 11:22 PM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 12:36 AM
The SAD at People trashing HTDAAB Thread

am i the only one that feels bomb is getting seriously violated ? people saying it had no good song?????????. I personally Loved the album and have been a HArdcore fan since 84 and do not understand why. now ATYCLB , i did not particularly care for many throw away songs on that album. Everyone is raving about NLOTH being so adventurous and sonically new sounding.While i enjoy the album i think that Bomb was u2 being u2.. original of the species was very drastic sound wise and as was one of my all time favs to this day. any fan can see that NLOTH is a combo of all there previous album sounds...elements of pop, Un fire, JT AB. so it is not really that shocking to me..except for white as snow i think it still sounds like U2. I thought BOMB was a good Album and listened to it a million times and loved it... i did not like one step closer, but that was it.....i just am surprised from all you fans that went gaga over bomb years ago and are now turncoats...seems very childish in here lately. i personally am VERY dissapointed in EDGE's performance in NLOTH .. WEHERE RE THE GREAT GUITAR SOLOS WE HEARD ABOUT???????????. i was looking for the fly and end of the world ..bullet zoo tv type stuff it is no where on this album. i love unknown caller but the solo is good not great.. just my two bits

BOYO3221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:24 PM   #2
The Fly

Local Time: 04:36 AM
I hear ya. The trashing and minimizing of the last two records is getting annoying.

as you wish16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:30 PM   #3
Babyface

Local Time: 10:36 PM
I really liked a lot of ATYCLB but the last one.......well..... it had it's dynamic moments, but No Line is really far beyond it as far as sophistication goes it really is crazy.
Real Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:34 PM   #4
Acrobat

ATYCLB was great. Perfect album at perfect time. HTDAAB never, not once, got my attention. This one perked me up. On par with Pop after these first few listens, but maybe a better "feel" for me, but time will tell. I really, really hope this one grows on me (and others) the way their best have.
HansaTonImbiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:37 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:36 PM
People usually trash the album that came before because they are tired of listening to it and they eventually wear it out.
purpleoscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:39 PM   #6
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Texan View Post
I really liked a lot of ATYCLB but the last one.......well..... it had it's dynamic moments, but No Line is really far beyond it as far as sophistication goes it really is crazy.
I am glad I wasn't on interference when I first got Bomb for Christmas and fell in love with it. My opinion would have been tainted!

Vertigo
Miracle Drug
Sometimes
Love and Peace
City of Blinding Lights
All Because of You
A Man and a Woman
Crumbs From Your Table
One Step Closer
Original of the Species
Yaweh
cjboog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:39 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Location: in the enchanted forest of dreams and wonderment...or else at my computer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleoscar View Post
People usually trash the album that came before because they are tired of listening to it and they eventually wear it out.
This.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:39 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I think HTDAAB was a collection of great songs. ATYCLB was 4 or 5 good songs and a lot of B-material. But it doesn't take anything away from HTDAAB to revel in something EVEN BETTER coming along!!!

I still love Original of The Species! And how great was City of Blinding Lights on Inauguration day????
Niceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:40 PM   #9
Refugee

The difference is, ATYCLB was great pieces of music that just happened to be pop songs, while BOMB was just a collection of pop songs set to crap music, and this new album is great transcendant music, with a couple glimmers of pop seeping thru. This new album is where U2 belongs, not in the TGIF's and Walmarts (where BOMB lived) , but in the realm of uncertainty, in outer space, in the musical abyss.
ozeeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:42 PM   #10
New Yorker

Local Time: 11:36 PM
I Still love ATYCLB, it still hold very meaningful songs for me..like Walk On and Stuck,
Beautiful Day..because Bono and I shared a moment during that song ..when U2 played here..

Bomb, I love it too I looked back at my posts here when Bomb first came out..hey I loved all 11 songs..I still do

I do find that NLOTH surpasses both though ,I'm still discovering it with every listen.
ATYCLB and Bomb I find I didn't really have anything to discover I pretty much got it after one listen..I love them both..but this album is more challenging more sounds to say hey I didn't notice that before.
angel_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:43 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozeeko View Post
The difference is, ATYCLB was great pieces of music that just happened to be pop songs, while BOMB was just a collection of pop songs set to crap music, and this new album is great transcendant music, with a couple glimmers of pop seeping thru. This new album is where U2 belongs, not in the TGIF's and Walmarts (where BOMB lived) , but in the realm of uncertainty, in outer space, in the musical abyss.
I'm too deeply in love with NLOTH to get into an argument about why HTDAAB was great and ATYCLB sucked..... Moment Of Silence is playing right now and that might be my favorite song EVER now.... Let's just say that I don't share your opinions of those albums.....
Old 02-19-2009, 11:45 PM   #12
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozeeko View Post
while BOMB was just a collection of pop songs set to crap music,
Not only do you sound like a music snob, you sound like an ignorant music snob. But don't let me stop you from embarrassing yourself...continue.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:46 PM   #13
War Child

Try putting ATYCLB up against NLOTH song for song, and you will remember why ATYCLB was called a masterpiece by some. Do the same with NLOTH and HTDAAB and again, you'll see that HTDAAB is not the failure people call it.
Needle_Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:48 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Location: in the enchanted forest of dreams and wonderment...or else at my computer.
The only real critique I have of Bomb (I looooove ATYCLB) is there is somewhat of a lack of cohesion. Even Larry said this in U2 by U2, that Bomb didn't have the emotional thread running through it that ATYCLB did. I feel the same. They're all terrific songs. It just isn't quite the "album" that the former one is. I would say that's probably due to the army of producers they had on.

That said, I don't think it really deserves the level of bashing that it gets around here. There are a hell of a lot of worse things out there than a lack of cohesion. Sometimes I watch a really old performance video or listen to an old album, and I come back to appreciate how much better they are at their jobs now.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:50 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Bomb was 13 good songs. (including Fast Cars and Mercy.) That's no small feat. It had it's weaknesses... but it was 13 good songs......
Old 02-19-2009, 11:50 PM   #16
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud View Post
The only real critique I have of Bomb (I looooove ATYCLB) is there is somewhat of a lack of cohesion. Even Larry said this in U2 by U2, that Bomb didn't have the emotional thread running through it that ATYCLB did. I feel the same. They're all terrific songs. It just isn't quite the "album" that the former one is. I would say that's probably due to the army of producers they had on.

That said, I don't think it really deserves the level of bashing that it gets around here. There are a hell of a lot of worse things out there than a lack of cohesion. Sometimes I watch a really old performance video or listen to an old album, and I come back to appreciate how much better they are at their jobs now.
THIS I would agree with. HTDAAB was a collection of very good to great songs that just didn't all fit together as a whole. But to dismiss these songs individually like a lot on this board do is absurd.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:52 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:36 PM
Bomb would be good if the production wasn't crap, there was some cohesion, Mercy was added, and Crumbs and ABOY were dropped. But Crumbs and ABOY are two of my least favorite U2 tracks, with Crumbs probably occupying the number one spot.
digitize is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:53 PM   #18
War Child

I'm wondering... if there are any golden oldies of U2 internet fandom... what was the initial reaction to ATYCLB?
Needle_Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:54 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleoscar View Post
There's also more pressure on an album when it’s the current one. When it’s the latest material the songs sit separately from all the others. They're in the spotlight, they're carrying the flag, they are rightly or wrongly the front line representation of what is U2.

Once it’s not the current album, and the songs sort of settle to whatever their natural place is for you amongst several hundred other back catalogue tracks, the pressure is off. So for the last five years I’ve cringed at those Bomb tracks. This is what U2 have become? But now we have a new album, so those tracks just settle down there amongst the other two dozen or so U2 tracks I just really don’t care for at all. My opinion doesn’t change, but the disappointment and thus the strong-anti feeling and the need to express it is now gone. Atomic Bomb isn’t the present anymore, it’s history. Goodbye
Earnie Shavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:54 PM   #20
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitize View Post
Bomb would be good if the production wasn't crap, there was some cohesion, Mercy was added, and Crumbs and ABOY were dropped. But Crumbs and ABOY are two of my least favorite U2 tracks, with Crumbs probably occupying the number one spot.
Amazing how 2 U2 fans can see the same song so differently. Crumbs has always been my favorite song on that record. It still gives me chills! It's like he took out all of his frustration on working with "W" in this song.

Tags
htdaab