The SAD at People trashing HTDAAB Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I honestly think that nothing can top the JT or Achtung Baby in terms of U2's outstanding albums, but I don't think ATYCLB or HTDAAB are bad albums. They certainly have their weaknesses (New York, Yahweh), but most songs and lyrics are pretty stellar. This current album is still growing on me.

I'm glad I got into U2 during the 90's, right in the middle of it all, loving the past, loving the present, probably loving in the future...and that's the way it's been, except for BOMB, their only failure, and a catastrophic one at that.

After their next album, people will call NLOTH crap then too...

I have a 41 year old friend... says she loves U2... but she said they lost her at Unforgetable Fire... I mean that's the type of fans U2 has. Some only like the first 3 records...

Me, I thought the last 2 albums before this were AMAZING.

Yup, very true. There used to be a website around in the late 90's called "U2 in Grey" that was dedicated to the Boy-October-War period, basically saying that U2 sold out from TUF onwards. And they were dead serious about it.

I've also read a few accounts of how people thought they sold out after The Joshua Tree as well. Hilarious stuff!

I think U2 loses some people after every major shift. Of course, they gain more than they lose. I know A LOT of people who were upset with Achtung when it came out and it took them years to accept it. Zooropa was seen as a failure FOR YEARS and now people on here talk about it like it was Achtung part II!

I honestly think that nothing can top the JT or Achtung Baby in terms of U2's outstanding albums, but I don't think ATYCLB or HTDAAB are bad albums. They certainly have their weaknesses (New York, Yahweh), but most songs and lyrics are pretty stellar. This current album is still growing on me.

I love New York :reject:

I'm not sure why people keep using stuff like TJT/AB/NLOTH/etc as excuses to hate Bomb even more. It's possible to like both and think Bomb is a good album too. If you like chocolate more than vanilla you don't all of a sudden start calling it "crap" and "the worst flavor ever" there's room for all U2 albums and I think even though HTDAAB isn't as cohesive as some of the rest of their work, it still stands up as a great package of music. This past tour was incredible because a lot of the songs were great live and exploded with outstanding performances (Bono banging the drum was badass, don't lie). COBL was an experience, Vertigo was psychedelic, Sometimes was poignant, and so on. The music held up, why trash it now because a new (and to some better) record is flooding our every thought. Oh well.

COBL was an experience, Vertigo was psychedelic.

COBL was, um, definitely a certain type of experience. :barf:

The only thing "psychedelic" about Vertigo was that the band HAD to be on drugs to think that was a good song.

Anyway, the new album rules!

I didn't like BOMB until my father died. I was convinced that I'd be relieved and happy once he was dead, but those premature feelings gave way to regret. So, songs like Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own and One Step Closer weren't appreciated until then.

And Miracle Drug and Original of the Species didn't do anything for me until my sister-in-law gave birth to a mentally-handicapped daughter, and a very kind rabbi took her into his school/home for disabled children.

I suppose it's an album of experience. Suddenly those "cringe-worthy" lines give me tremendous meaning, and now I'm very grateful for them.

I'm inclined to agree with the general sentiment here. Isn't it funny how when Pop came out, everyone tore U2 a new one and now, on Interference and in reviews, Pop is slowly becoming one of U2's great experimental albums? There seems to be some revisionist history going on there. So maybe in 10, 15, or 20 years, everyone will talking about how great HTDAAB was and how they always loved it.

I'm inclined to agree with the general sentiment here. Isn't it funny how when Pop came out, everyone tore U2 a new one and now, on Interference and in reviews, Pop is slowly becoming one of U2's great experimental albums? There seems to be some revisionist history going on there. So maybe in 10, 15, or 20 years, everyone will talking about how great HTDAAB was and how they always loved it.

It happened to Zooropa!

It seems we're unable to love NLOTH without having to bash their last two albums. I don't like it. I read two reviews today where this was also happening, it makes me so angry. NLOTH is new and fresh and we are full of joy and emotion about it, but let's talk again in 2 years when things are in a different perspective. I don't think you can compare NLOTH and Bomb, both are great albums, both are different. Bomb was a huge commercial success, they won a lot of Grammys and it was the album they took on a very very successful tour. Let's wait and see how NLOTH will work.

That said, I am blown away by NLOTH. I can appreciate the new album without having to bash something else. I love and embrace all of U2's work, I think it's wrong to act as if the band was braindead for the last ten years. It'
s actually a shame. I see every album, every song as an important stone in the path U2 has been taking as a band, no matter if I agree with everything or like everything. I am very emotional about NLOTH, still I don't jump on the Bomb or ATYCLB bashing bandwagon. :down:

It seems we're unable to love NLOTH without having to bash their last two albums. I don't like it. I read two reviews today where this was also happening, it makes me so angry. NLOTH is new and fresh and we are full of joy and emotion about it, but let's talk again in 2 years when things are in a different perspective. I don't think you can compare NLOTH and Bomb, both are great albums, both are different. Bomb was a huge commercial success, they won a lot of Grammys and it was the album they took on a very very successful tour. Let's wait and see how NLOTH will work.

That said, I am blown away by NLOTH. I can appreciate the new album without having to bash something else. I love and embrace all of U2's work, I think it's wrong to act as if the band was braindead for the last ten years. It'
s actually a shame. I see every album, every song as an important stone in the path U2 has been taking as a band, no matter if I agree with everything or like everything. I am very emotional about NLOTH, still I don't jump on the Bomb or ATYCLB bashing bandwagon. :down:

:up: Amen.

I've done my fair share of the Bomb trashing, but let me get this straight: I don't think anyone (but I don't want to speak for everyone :) ) trashes the bomb in the "this is an absolute crap album" way. In the end, it still is a U2 album :) My critique of the bomb is that while it consists of strong individual tracks, it looks like a random collection and not a fluent cohesion. The album does not emotionally involve me like ATYCLB.

That said, the bomb is an album I listen to in great amount, although I'm critical of it! I just don't listen to all the songs. But if you were to see my iTunes counter, the bomb is probably even #1 or #2. So it's quite paradox :)

Similar, but different. You had a lot of people really after something different post-Pop as you do now post-Bomb. And considering that, the reaction initially to ATYCLB - particularly 'throwback' songs like Beautiful Day and Walk On - was absolutely huge. It was obviously very satisfying for a lot of people.

I don't think ATYCLB ever reached the levels of distaste that Bomb has though. I think it just ran out of steam. It wasn't turned on in quite the same way, I think people just realised it wasn't all that strong from end to end and they really wanted Atomic Bomb to deliver on that front. It definitely received it's bashings though.

This seems right.

One thing I was wondering about today is exactly when the shift happened. When HTDAAB came out the reaction on this site was incredible - people went nuts for it. It was considered one of U2's best.

Today, while it certainly has supporters, the album ranks towards the bottom of U2's discography on this site. That pretty much mirrors my opinion over time. When it was released I loved it - today I'd probably rank it near the bottom of U2's work along with October.

(Note: To be clear, I don't hate October or HTDAAB the way some folks do. I just think it's among the lesser works of U2's career and I don't often go back to it.)

So...when did this happen? And why?

In my case, after it had been out a year or so I suppose I slowly lost interest without realizing it, I began listening to more diverse music, and I just wasn't listening to U2 as much. When I did, it wasn't ever HTDAAB that I popped in. What's also notable is that for nearly three years I never came to this forum so my opinions weren't affected by commentary here (or elsewhere, for that matter).

Earlier today I was perusing the EYKIW archives just to see if there was a natural progression towards this same line of thought on the forum. Of course that's way too daunting of a task without a better reference point so I quickly gave up. But U2 toured throughout 2005 into the spring of 2006, so I'm fairly certain that any "groupthink" didn't take hold until after that point.

Anyway, I do find it an interesting study to look at the manner in which HTDAAB was absolutely raved about in 2004-2005 compared to the general disinterest (and often loathing) it receives today. Frankly, the timeframe in which it all happened is just a couple years which isn't that long. It's curious.

My critique of the bomb is that while it consists of strong individual tracks, it looks like a random collection and not a fluent cohesion.

You make a good point. Sometimes it seems like the wrong songs made the album. I try to imagine Bomb with Electrical Storm and Window in the Skies, and of course, Fast Cars and it seems immensely better.

Bomb is a difficult record to like- every song screams "safe". It is contrived and cliched. NLOTH makes it look even worse. I'm sorry but that is my view.

I like Bomb, the only thing I dislike is some of the mastering such as the 'loudness' about it. I'm not a great lover of Vertigo, but all the other songs seem quite sincere and are easy for me to connect with. It's not a perfect album but it's easy for me to put on and get straight into. I favour ATYCLB slightly more because it was before Bomb and there a few songs I think that are stronger.

I'm glad I got into U2 during the 90's, right in the middle of it all, loving the past, loving the present, probably loving in the future...and that's the way it's been, except for BOMB, their only failure, and a catastrophic one at that.

See, this is the kind of quote that you think is cool now, but when you're a bit older you'll regret. Also the kind of thing that makes me embarrassed to be a U2 fan.

On this site, people pretend that HTDAAB was some sort of epic disaster, the Hindenberg-meets-Titanic of rock music. In the real world outside of this site, HTDAAB was critically acclaimed, commerically huge, award winning, praised by each member of U2, and achieved far more than they could ever have expected it to. Fact.

wait

am i the only one that feels bomb is getting seriously violated ? people saying it had no good song?????????. I personally Loved the album and have been a HArdcore fan since 84 and do not understand why. now ATYCLB , i did not particularly care for many throw away songs on that album. Everyone is raving about NLOTH being so adventurous and sonically new sounding.While i enjoy the album i think that Bomb was u2 being u2.. original of the species was very drastic sound wise and as was one of my all time favs to this day. any fan can see that NLOTH is a combo of all there previous album sounds...elements of pop, Un fire, JT AB. so it is not really that shocking to me..except for white as snow i think it still sounds like U2. I thought BOMB was a good Album and listened to it a million times and loved it... i did not like one step closer, but that was it.....i just am surprised from all you fans that went gaga over bomb years ago and are now turncoats...seems very childish in here lately. i personally am VERY dissapointed in EDGE's performance in NLOTH .. WEHERE RE THE GREAT GUITAR SOLOS WE HEARD ABOUT???????????. i was looking for the fly and end of the world ..bullet zoo tv type stuff it is no where on this album. i love unknown caller but the solo is good not great.. just my two bits

i did not like one step closer, but that was it.....i just am surprised from all you fans that went gaga over bomb years ago and are now turncoats...seems very childish in here lately. i personally am VERY dissapointed in EDGE's performance in NLOTH .. WEHERE RE THE GREAT GUITAR SOLOS WE HEARD ABOUT???????????. i was looking for the fly and end of the world ..bullet zoo tv type stuff it is no where on this album. i love unknown caller but the solo is good not great.. just my two bits

i just am surprised from all you fans that went gaga over bomb years ago and are now turncoats... WEHERE RE THE GREAT GUITAR SOLOS WE HEARD ABOUT???????????. i was looking for the fly and end of the world ..bullet zoo tv type stuff

gaga tv type stuff

I underestimated this thread!

Just wait. I predict the BOMB will start to climb in the pantheon over the next few years now......

HTD&AB has some good songs like but it never got the praise that the boys expected. Probably hurt Bono the worst because singing to his dad 'Sometimes' to me is another ONE but it never came close to achieving One's status. But i get shivers when i see that video. Also when they performed that song on the Grammy's that to me is a U2 highlight of their career. I was at filming of City of Blinding Lights and if the video was much brighter like what we saw there that song could have skyrocketed more.

See, this is the kind of quote that you think is cool now, but when you're a bit older you'll regret. Also the kind of thing that makes me embarrassed to be a U2 fan.

On this site, people pretend that HTDAAB was some sort of epic disaster, the Hindenberg-meets-Titanic of rock music. In the real world outside of this site, HTDAAB was critically acclaimed, commerically huge, award winning, praised by each member of U2, and achieved far more than they could ever have expected it to. Fact.

I agree wholeheartedly with this statement! Just because one doesn't like Bomb, doesn't make it a failure of catastropic proportions. The overwhelming success of Bomb has been well documented. It was one of the most successful albums of 2004-05. It was one of the most successful tours of 2005-06.

One can shout from the rooftops that they didn't like it or it sucked or it was mediocre or whatever. The album and the tour were still a huge success. Much to the chagrin of many it seems.

:wave:

Back
Top Bottom