The Rock Off - Forum Playlist Contest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

derrick_rossign

Acrobat
Not sure where to post this, move if necessary. Anyway, found this on U2Start.com:

Absolute Radio:

Rock-Off - Absolute Radio

Here's the idea
"You Internet-dwellers, you like your music. You congregate on band forums to talk about the acts that you like. You’ll argue for ten pages over whether Foo Fighters or Nirvana were better. You'll dedicate threads to your favourite tracks, song meanings and music gossip. In other words, your music knowledge is pretty exceptional.

So here’s a serious challenge
"We’re trying to find which music forum has the best taste in music. A grandiose claim, you may say… well, yes it is.

"That’s what this Rock-Off is about. We want you to decide, as a forum, what you think your ultimate playlist would be. It should be a list of 12 songs, with 6 songs from the band your forum is dedicated to. You can only submit one playlist per forum, so you’ll need to battle it out amongst yourselves before your forum administrator submits your playlist.

"After a selection process to whittle it down to 16 playlists, we’ll then pit forums against each other in rounds of online voting. Represent your forum by coming along to vote!

Ever made a mix tape?
"If the answer is yes, you’ll know that the order of your songs is really important. The same applies to your ultimate playlist… especially when you consider that the winning Rock-Off playlist will be played out in full on a special Absolute Radio show on Monday 22 December at 9pm! Not only that, but the winning forum will receive on-air promotion throughout the show, plus Absolute Radio will dedicate the entire day to that forum’s dedicated artist. Not bad eh?

more details here

I think Interference has a shot at this and should participate!

EDIT: If we do this, here are my song nominations

U2
WOWY
Bad
11 O'Clock Tick Tock
The Fly
BTBS
Please

Other Artists
Blue Oyster Cult - Astronomy
Pink Floyd - Marooned
Kings of Leon - Crawl
Keane - Try Again
Black Sabbath - N.I.B.
AC/DC - Let There Be Rock
Boston - Smokin'
4 Non Blondes - Superfly
Weezer - Only in Dreams

Last edited:
I nominate Knights of Cydonia by Muse and Karma Police by Radiohead.

Hmmm... interesting. WELL, first thing we need are the U2 songs. Here are my selections...

Where the Streets Have No Name (also thinking it will be Track 1 on our playlist)
One (duh)
Beautiful Day (sure, it's a simple structured song, but every now and then a band will come along and turn that formulaic song into something really special - this song is an example of that)
Please (Single Mix) (aside from being a truly amazing song... not many have heard this tune before, which makes things interesting to not simply display all the singles)
Zooropa/ Lemon/ Mofo (which one? can't say... I mainly put them here to showcase the variety of the band)
Sunday Bloody Sunday/ New Year's Day/ Bad (really can't decide here)

And now... the rest.
First of all, we need the most respected, credible band in the music scene today - Radiohead (people's viewpoint on this may vary, but regardless... you gotta have some Radiohead). Which song? My personal favorite is "Fake Plastic Trees" ...but I suppose a choice from OK Computer or Kid A might be better. "How to Disappear Completely"? "Let Down," perhaps? It's a toss-up...
"No Cars Go" by Arcade Fire (IMO, this song is the spiritual successor to "Where the Streets Have No Name," so it would only seem natural to end the disc with this track.
"Baba O'Riley" (just because it's the greatest rock song of all time, ya know...)
Something from The Beatles, 'cause you know... it's The Beatles. Your guess is as good as mine as to which song, though. If it were up to me, I'd say "A Day in the Life" or... "In My Life"?
"Losing My Religion" (may not float with everyone else here, but the song is definitely one of my favorites)
Need some Bob Dylan - possibly the greatest lyricist of all time. With that said, my choice is "It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)"

I suppose these would be selections, then...

Where the Streets Have No Name
Beautiful Day
One
Zooropa
Bad
Please (Single Mix)
Fake Plastic Trees
Losing My Religion
A Day in the Life
Baba O'Riley
It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)
No Cars Go

I look back and think... it could be better, but for spur of the moment... it's not bad. I'm gonna go back and listen to "I Believe in Father Christmas," now :drunk:

you suggest THIS forum to get something in common?

I guess...

we can all agree on this bands

Pink Floyd
Muse
Coldplay
Radiohead
Arcade Fire

and... I don't kn¡ow what band could be the 6th one...

RUSH? :happy:

I suggest:

Pink Floyd - Confortably Numb
Muse - Plug In Baby or Time Is Running Out
Coldplay - 42, A Rush Of Blood To The Head or Propekt March
Radiohead - Street Spirit
Arcade Fire - Rebellion

U2: New Year's Day, Bad, Where the Streets Have No Name, The Fly, Lemon, Beautiful Day (six most representative tracks, I'd say - I'm not even a fan of Lemon, but it's representative)

And then, six bands most commonly enjoyed by Interference: I'd say Radiohead, R.E.M., The Beatles, Arcade Fire, Pink Floyd, and Bruce Springsteen.

Then, for those you get something like Paranoid Android, So. Central Rain, Here Comes the Sun, Rebellion (Lies), Time/Breathe (Reprise), and Jungleland. Try to make them flow.

But I think the most important thing is making it the most representative of the forum, and the artists.

Where the Streets Have No Name
Time/Breathe (Reprise)
Bad
So. Central Rain
Beautiful Day
Rebellion (Lies)
Here Comes the Sun
Lemon
The Fly
Paranoid Android
New Year's Day
Jungleland

I don't know, something like that. That's just off the top of my head.

How can you possibly make a good list if 6 of the songs out of 12 have to be by one band? The whole premise is idiotic.

01 - Where The Streets Have No Name - U2
02 - Sweet Child O' Mine - Guns N' Roses
03 - Like A Song... - U2
04 - Even Flow - Pearl Jam
05 - Beautiful Day - U2
06 - Enter Sandman - Metallica
07 - Until The End Of The Wold - U2
08 - Welcome To The Jungle - Guns N' Roses
09 - Vertigo - U2
10 - She Build A Quick Machine - Velvet Revolver
11 - With Or Without You - U2
12 - Knights of Cydonia - Muse

Should the 6 songs not the be the victors of the previous U2 Survivors?

You get away from her with that ugly logic of yours; we need to argue about this pointlessly for several dozen pages before we'll accept sensible talk :wink:

Joking aside, I think that'd be the easiest way for the U2 songs

We could go with the "classics"

The Who "Baba O'Riley"
Led Zeppelin "Stairway To Heaven"
The Beatles "A Day In The Life"
Derek and the Dominos "Layla"
The Rolling Stones "Gimme Shelter"
Blue Oyster Cult "Don't Fear The Reaper"

you suggest THIS forum to get something in common?

Getting Interference to agree on 12 songs? :lmao:

Exactly what I was thinking! It's going to be hilarious!

We could go with the "classics"

The Who "Baba O'Riley"
Led Zeppelin "Stairway To Heaven"
The Beatles "A Day In The Life"
Derek and the Dominos "Layla"
The Rolling Stones "Gimme Shelter"
Blue Oyster Cult "Don't Fear The Reaper"

Too bad, my version of "the classics" is slightly different... :wink:

The Beatles - A Day In The Life
Pink Floyd - Time / Breathe (reprise) or Comfortably Numb
Led Zeppelin - Stairway To Heaven
The Who - Won't Get Fooled Again
REM - Man On The Moon or Losing My Religion
Radiohead - Fake Plastic Trees or Karma Police

12 songs? Pfffft. Why limit it to 12, especially if six of the songs have to be U2 songs? We do 80-minute playlists in the Bang and the Clatter forum.

But I will play anyway.

Assuming we are just going to go with the top 6 songs from U2 Survivor, I would like to nominate the following to fill out the rest:

Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run
Marvin Gaye - What's Going On
Radiohead - Street Spirit
The Beatles - Eleanor Rigby
R.E.M. - Losing My Religion
Arcade Fire - Wake Up

Back
Top Bottom