The Positive U2 Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know it seems in vogue to be sarcastic in this thread, but I'll play the earnest fan here for a sec. In complete sincerity, what I think U2 does better than anyone else:

Their live show is unrivaled insofar as being the most powerful tool to arouse fans to effect real changes in their lives and in the world around them. It's far more than a rock show, and I don't know of any band that can do that the way U2 does. I've never seen a live show that moves me the way U2's does. I think the studio work does it to an extent, but it's at the live show that it really manifests powerfully for me.

I also think Bono and now to a certain extent The Edge are some of the top musicians in rock at campaigning for worthy causes and getting people who they wouldn't normally hang out with to sign on. I know it's supposed to be 'all about the music'...but really, is it? Wasn't rock/folk originally protest music? Wasn't it about marching and demanding change? To some extent the protest has taken on a different face but I think it's still important for musicians to use their clout for social good and it's hard to argue with the fac t that Bono does it better than perhaps most musicians. And that's a good thing!

Being entirely serious, Bono is probably the greatest lyricist ever (who else in pop music puts philosophy in their lyrics, eg One? I guess Pete Townshend, to an extent, but I greatly prefer Bono), and one of the best singers ever. And Edge invented my personal favorite guitar sound.

Bono gretest lyricist ever.

What about John Lennon?

I am the eggman, I am the walrus, goo.goo, goo, gee, gew.

No one can beat that!

To add something positive from a personal point of view: I listen to a lot of music, buy a lot of CD's, like a lot of bands and artists ... but at the end of the day it's always U2 I return to, they are like "home" to me and their music gives me a kind of comfort that I don't find with any other band. They just give me hope, that's why I love this band. They have touched the hearts of millions of people worldwide and are a positive force in the world. I'm serious, I don't want any cynical replies because that's just my personal opinion. They may not be perfect as musicians and humans (who is anyway?) and they surely make their mistakes, but for me they still remain the best for many reasons. I just think it's great to live in their times. :up:

To add something positive from a personal point of view: I listen to a lot of music, buy a lot of CD's, like a lot of bands and artists ... but at the end of the day it's always U2 I return to, they are like "home" to me and their music gives me a kind of comfort that I don't find with any other band. :up:

:up: very well said, and 100% true with me too:wave:

U2 are my favourite band, I can relate to what they say, I can relate to what they do and I like the way they do it very much.
They are not perfect? sure.They are not the best? Well, for me they are, "the best" is a subjective concept. Do I like everything they do? Well, no, but most.
I think being a fan is great, I don't need to hide it.

Everytime I hear the intro to I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, I realize once again why they are #1 for me.

That is also so true. Those Edge intros...I Will Follow, Another Time, Bad, Streets, hell, CRUMBS! I mean, those haunting ringing notes at the start of the song that make you catch your breath and close your eyes. Noone does it better.

U2 was in the greatest commerical ever made:

YouTube - U2 - Apple Commercial - rare

It's good to know that a bunch of U2 clips put together to the voice over from an Apple commercial can pull at your heartstrings like that. :) Especially considering the people that were featured in the actual commercial were just a wee bit more important - Einstein, Ghandi, MLK...

Back
Top Bottom