The most interesting U2 song musically

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tyagu_Anaykus

New Yorker
So, what song (or songs) do you think its their best or interesting song musically. When I say musically I'm refering to guitar and bass tabs, as well as chords.

I'm no expert in this but I got curious.

So well, share your insights :)

The trio of Miami-Playboy mansion-If you wear that velvet dress for me.

But let's hear it from the bass players, drummers and guitar players on the forum.

Most songs on Pop for me, Im not saying its their best album but most interesting musically for me. Im not really a guitarman but more into bass and drums and I really think Adam/Larry pushed themselves on that album/period. An example of this is 'Im Not Your Baby'....I just love the groove in that song!!

The ONE peice of u2 music i really adore above the others is Red Hill Mining Town....the transition at the line "we wait all day, for night to come, and it comes, like a hunterchiiiiild! It is a beautiful moment

I think "Bad" is interesting in a musical sense in that it illustrates that chord changes are not the only way to make a song dynamic. It's possible to write a captivating song that doesn't have verses and choruses.

I immediately thought of "Please".

The drums and bass are almost jazz, the guitar is understated but profound. Definitely one of their most interesting musical moments.

I think "Bad" is interesting in a musical sense in that it illustrates that chord changes are not the only way to make a song dynamic. It's possible to write a captivating song that doesn't have verses and choruses.

Interesting because I was not a big fan of Bad :reject: . But, now, the more I hear it, the more I pay attention to the music itself the more I find it amazing.

What about New Year's Day? I love the whole dynamic of the song...

It's hard to pick just one. Most of the songs on POP have some really killer Bass and Drum parts. Most of the songs on Achtung have great guitar parts. As far as most interesting and intricate songwriting, I may actually have to go with a song like "Lemon", it has a lot of depth to it and it's a great experimental piece.

As a Mysterious Ways Fan, I'm going for this one.

All four of the band have great parts.

Edge's unique guitar sound.

Larry plays like a funky military drummer.

Bono varies from gentle to belting.

And Adam holds the entire song together on the bass.

And the whole song crescendos ridiculously at the end - great stuff.

And the guitar solo live is to die for.

It's no wonder they've played it so many times in concert.

MOFO-Album version.
The Fly-Album version.
Gone-Album version.
Until The End Of The World-Album version.

Many songs from either Achtung Baby or POP.

Spot on Ellay. MW has 4 killer components, that in some sense are so sparse, yet together gel so perfectly to create a knockout 'whole'. The song/sound is so unique/different against most of their catalogue....A Rickenbacker helps aswell :drool:

Bad, build up with only 2 chords on guitar, just a genius like edge to do that.

I think Stay is awesome. Classy song. Great lyrics. Interesting chord changes. I wish they'd do this live non-acoustic.

Also the Ocean/11:00 Tick Tock sequence as performed live back in 80-81. Ahead of its time and a rare moment of pure credibility for U2, who have lately been more derivative (sp?).

As for Bad, the two chord thing was the genius of Brian Eno, not The Edge. Most of TUF (their best album) is the result of Eno's input. Promenade, 4th of July, all of it is brilliant.

The orchestral sound of The Unforgettable Fire for me. One of the most underrated songs because it could not be played live.

Believe it or not, I think With or With Out You. It seems like a simple song, but I think it is more deeper and interesting than it sounds.

Yep. Agreed. These people have had some enormously sophisticated songs over the years, but I agree with you on this one. With or Without You is easy to overlook because it had so much success and has been heard over and over and over again. However, that should never take away from the fact that, in March 1987, when most of the world heard this song for the first time, there was nothing like it. It was really unusual and actually took some getting used to (if you can believe that). It's a rock & roll "Bolero" as I've heard it put once. It starts out simple and slow, and methodically builds to a triumphant grand exit. This song made its mark for sure. Famous and successful shouldn't erase unique and sophisticated.

Very difficult question to answer.
The key to U2 musically is their ability to take something simple and make it profound.
I looked over the entire cataloge and couldn't think of a single tune that was "musically" complex. (i.e. difficult chord changes, odd time signatures, etc.)
I guess I would say the most musically interesting thing is Edge's guitar sound. You know, his signature ringing sound. "Pride" "Streets" "Wowy" etc.
Bono summed it up perfectly saying "Edge owns that sound". It's true. In the same way Hendrix before him, Edge came up with, or at least popularized, a sound that was unique.
When I listen "Heartland" for example, I can't think of a more perfect sound to fit the theme of that tune.

Back
Top Bottom