The LOUNGE Fly Mix Appreciation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kennerado

Refugee
Who here loves this more than the album version?

I love it simply because it has some alternate lyrics like "A man will rise, a man will fall but its never too late to accept his call".

Also the long intro and horn sounds, really cool!

Thoughts?

Yeah it is cool, no match to the album cut, but i like the change of lyrics too. Should have been on the best of 1990 - 2000 b-sides.

I remember I bought "The Fly" single just for this because it was at the start of "The Fly" video, but I was very disappointed. The beginning has some interesting stuff and then it pretty much degenerates into a version that's too much like the album version, if I remember. Still, I regret selling my copy to some ungrateful phony in undergrad, who never paid me the $5 he promised, acted shocked when I asked for $5 (having paid $10 in the store), and then didn't pay the new agreed price of $3. He was pretty well off, too.

The album version is automatically better to me; this one lacks cohesion.

Lounge Fly is awesome. The whole single is cool; Alex Descends is amazing, too. :drool:

Bloody great version, great lyrics, Shame the bloke they wrote it for, hated it lol.

As others have mentioned, the lyrical changes are awesome and make it an interesting listening experience. I love the prominence of the shrieking guitar part that comes in over the solo. It's very, very low in the mix on the album version. This, the soundtrack mix of UTEOTW and the single mix of WGRYWH are all great alternate versions of the album cuts.

As others have mentioned, the lyrical changes are awesome and make it an interesting listening experience. I love the prominence of the shrieking guitar part that comes in over the solo. It's very, very low in the mix on the album version. This, the soundtrack mix of UTEOTW and the single mix of WGRYWH are all great alternate versions of the album cuts.
The soundtrack version of UTEOTW... I don't know that version, you don't happen to have it? I'm really curious as it is one of my favourite songs!

Regarding the soundtrack version of UTEOTW...

The differences are definitely there if you listen hard enough. It's easier when you've heard both versions a bazillion times back to back :lol: :huh:

Here are most of the differences as I've heard them:

-No weird vocal sample at beginning
-Starts with someone (Larry or Edge?) saying "Okay.", Larry counts in song, song kicks off with full drum kit instead of just the bongos
-Guitar noises from 0:04-0:21 not present on album version
-A kind of ringing, shimmery guitar part that comes in with the "chorus" sections of the song is much more present here than on the album
-Edge's main guitar track, barring the solo, has a kind of sweeping phaser effect on it throughout the whole song, as opposed to the album version where it sounds fully submerged in that effect only at 2:33-2:42 and 3:34-3:49
-Edges solo is mixed differently and lacks the atmospheric overdubs at the beginning, also some more sounds in the background here not on album version(very subtle)
-The guitar is mixed differently at the climax of the song. Some of the additional guitar layers featured here on the album version are absent.
-No "la la la etc." at the end of the song

Back
Top Bottom