The Evolution of U2's Creative Process

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would very much be bothered if he came up with the intro riff.
And in general yeah, I'm not a fan of the keyboards being played backstage at shows. Or of keyboard parts of songs, where they are as central as they are in Streets, not being given writing credits.
It feels like a bit of a conceit.

I think these things mean something a bit more with U2 because they have made such a thing of being "these same four guys" "writing their own songs", "being creatively forward", that it's a bit confusing that they may crave relevance so much, they will accept others work, and call it U2, to keep the relevance alive. The music of U2 almost seems like more of a brand, than a band

I would very much be bothered if he came up with the intro riff.
And in general yeah, I'm not a fan of the keyboards being played backstage at shows. Or of keyboard parts of songs, where they are as central as they are in Streets, not being given writing credits.
It feels like a bit of a conceit.
Well... Eno came up with the opening organ part, which is a fairly important and iconic part of the song, both on record and in a live setting.

No writing credit.

U2 have always relied heavily on producers, and it's been a point of criticism about the band forever. It's basically renowned U2 hater Henry Rollins' entire reasoning for disliking them.

Eno's contract was written so that he got a percentage of the royalties rather than the normal flat rate specifically to avoid giving him writing credits.

That Haim got a writing credit and Tedder or whoever else from One Republic didn't is probably contractual; as in Tedder is getting a percentage much like Eno used to, whereas Haim isn't a producer so they obviously needed to give credit.

I think someone should have noticed that there was a video including the riff online in a one republic recording session and just given a writing credit to avoid any controversy. I'm guessing the 2nd member of One Republic being listed as an additional guitar was a compromise.

I'm a little surprised at the reaction by many around these parts to find out that producers are heavily involved in crafting these songs. I didn't know that wasn't a known thing.

In this particular case, yea it bothers me a little that the two most obvious guitar riffs on the album were written by someone else, and kinda adds to the criticism that Edge has lost his way and/or ran out of ideas.

But the general idea that producers are heavily involved in shaping the final product beyond what a normal producer would do, including writing some parts? That's not new, and has been going on since at least Unforgettable Fire.

I think these things mean something a bit more with U2 because they have made such a thing of being "these same four guys" "writing their own songs", "being creatively forward", that it's a bit confusing that they may crave relevance so much, they will accept others work, and call it U2, to keep the relevance alive. The music of U2 almost seems like more of a brand, than a band

See, now you’ve gone back to pretending that this is something new :facepalm: you call Pop a masterpiece but there are songs that rely heavily on other people’s work, or UF and JT that rely heavily on Enzo’s work. Were they a brand then?

The music world is shifting towards more liberal distribution of writing credits; the Kanyes, Kendricks and Rihannas of the world hand out writing credits like candy. As such, the expectations among younger listeners are shifting.

However, U2 have always been very conservative with their writing credits and I believe this even caused problems with Eno during the ATYCLB era. In the current music industry climate, I think U2 should have given out the writing credit to be on the safe side, but it's not surprising that they didn't, based on their history.

UF and JT that rely heavily on Enzo’s work.

Please tell me more about this mysterious Italian member of U2's recording staff!

hqdefault.jpg

See, now you’ve gone back to pretending that this is something new :facepalm: you call Pop a masterpiece but there are songs that rely heavily on other people’s work, or UF and JT that rely heavily on Enzo’s work. Were they a brand then

I’ve already answered this, no time to retread.

Back
Top Bottom