The Edge is creating ecological and residential havoc in Malibu

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
_40124316_sellafield_203.jpg

Dammit... I forgot about that. Open mouth, insert foot.

I really don't know any more than what I have read here of course, and I am not siding with anyone here. But I am only asking if these people complaining are living in tents, or do they live in homes that also caused some upset to the natural environment when they were built? Should someone (anyone, not just Edge) not be able to build a home on the land they own because it blocks someone's view of something (a piece of LA in this instance) Any time a new home is built, someone's view of something will be blocked, that's just life, and maybe someone will build a home later that blocks a view from Edge's house :shrug: (And yes I do understand that views affect the value of property, but you can't own a view... at least I don't think so, unless I'm wrong about that!) Again I'm only addressing those points and not the other things stated here. My question is on those 2 points only. And can Edge really move a mountain? :ohmy:
That's a good point, but this is not some guy whose living it is to build homes. The Edge doesn't have to do this. Also, if the community objects and even The Edge recognizes these complaints as justified, it seems there's a part of him -- the better part -- that should stop it.

I believe The Edge is a good man, but he's gone off course. It's like really destructive hobby with him -- one that he's not very good at, if you look at the Clarence Hotel balance sheets.

i'm sorry mudfield, but the people complaining are not middle class. his so-called neighbours are a bunch of spoiled rich people. stop portraying them as some sort of wonderful commune helpless at the hands of the rich. oh boohoo they're precious archery club got evicted. oh where, oh where will they get together and snob-hob now?
No, but they're obviously not as rich as him, so, in proportion, it's a similar situation, right? It's the same sort of capitalist mentality that can't be satiated.

As long as he isn't violating any laws and/or ordinances and gets required permits and all that jazz, he has a right to develop his property.

I'm not saying that if I was in the area and being directly affected by it that I would be happy...but that is just how it is.

I'm not saying it's illegal, but it's clearly morally questionable. This is massive greed on his part. People have a right to peace and quiet. How about that story about The Edge's tour bus stopping in front of someone's way for a long time. U2 has become so corrupted by its wealth.

That's a good point, but this is not some guy whose living it is to build homes. The Edge doesn't have to do this. Also, if the community objects and even The Edge recognizes these complaints as justified, it seems there's a part of him -- the better part -- that should stop it.

I believe The Edge is a good man, but he's gone off course. It's like really destructive hobby with him -- one that he's not very good at, if you look at the Clarence Hotel balance sheets.

No, but they're obviously not as rich as him, so, in proportion, it's a similar situation, right? It's the same sort of capitalist mentality that can't be satiated.

Well, why does he not have just as much right to build a home on his land here as these people did? The woman complaining about her view of the necklace thing strikes me as especially nuts.

I'd written more about the legal aspect here but edited because I saw you addressed that while I typed, with the moral aspect. I doubt these complaining people's "morals" are any better or more righteous than his, since it is their views and property that they are concerned about.

Look, I want to be on The Edge's side, but when I read this article, I couldn't defend it. It just looked like he was being all passive and pretend nice, but being addicted to the ruthlessness that wealth affords people. What about that development project in Ireland that's upsetting people over there? He's made with expansionism, this guy. It's really tragic. Some people are making the thread about me, but maybe you should just ask yourselves harder questions instead of just assuming the worst of me.

Also, I'll definitely be listening to the album next week because I'm heading home to listen on my parents awesome stereo system and watch the DVD on their big TV; I wanna experience it through the film first, I think. Should be exciting.

I believe The Edge is a good man, but he's gone off course. It's like really destructive hobby with him --
Please... if you actually read the article you could tell it was mostly hearsay from jealous and upset neighbors and not based on any real facts.

You have no clue how rich they are, don't pretend like you know anything about this situation beyond the poorly written article.

I'm not saying it's illegal, but it's clearly morally questionable. This is massive greed on his part. People have a right to peace and quiet. How about that story about The Edge's tour bus stopping in front of someone's way for a long time. U2 has become so corrupted by its wealth.

:lol: Massive greed? I'm sorry did I miss the part where he was stealing people's houses?

Edge's tour bus? Do you believe every rumor you hear?

I have a bridge for sell if you're interested.

Well, why does he not have just as much right to build a home on his land here as these people did? The woman complaining about her view of the necklace thing strikes me as especially nuts.

I'd written more about the legal aspect here but edited because I saw you addressed that while I typed, with the moral aspect. I doubt these complaining people's "morals" are any better or more righteous than his, since it is their views and property that they are concerned about.
Maybe, but each of these people has one home. We're all greedy to an extent, but The Edge doesn't just want his one home, he wants to be a bloody land developer, when he's already beyond financially secure. Maybe you're right, but I don't know it just seems really sickeningly greedy to me. Thanks for discussing things, civilly, by the way.

OMG! i hate rich people too. we should totally do it.

but maybe you should just ask yourselves harder questions instead of just assuming the worst of me.

Perhaps you should be doing the same about those residents featured in the article. If you own land in Malibu, particularly in a prime area, you are by no means middle class even if the person next to you is significantly richer. These are rich people complaining about rich people. Pardon me if I don't get all morally outraged over their claims.

Look, I want to be on The Edge's side, but when I read this article, I couldn't defend it. It just looked like he was being all passive and pretend nice, but being addicted to the ruthlessness that wealth affords people. What about that development project in Ireland that's upsetting people over there? He's made with expansionism, this guy. It's really tragic. Some people are making the thread about me, but maybe you should just ask yourselves harder questions instead of just assuming the worst of me.

Also, I'll definitely be listening to the album next week because I'm heading home to listen on my parents awesome stereo system and watch the DVD on their big TV; I wanna experience it through the film first, I think. Should be exciting.

I assume you're aware of how much electricity is consumed by the activity of "big TVs and awesome stereo systems". And how much is wasted by leaving them on standby rather than turning the switches off at the wall.

When I watched the Linear movie it made me appreciate the album more.

Thats cool man. I know everyone has been ripping on you about not listening to it yet, but i genuinely hope you enjoy it :up:

that's it? that's all you can come up with? who has more money than the other does not apply here. you know why? they're all RICH!!!!!! the only difference is the supposedly spoiled/callous behavior displayed by edge, your so offended by is really being displayed by the residents. they just don't want someone who has earned his money and came from humble beginnings in their "inherited" neighborhood. they're a bunch of snobbish pricks.

This is massive greed on his part. People have a right to peace and quiet. U2 has become so corrupted by its wealth.

protecting your earnings is greedy?

How about that story about The Edge's tour bus stopping in front of someone's way for a long time.

how about the bus breaking down? oh i forgot, since he's richer than god that means he's just being inconsiderate.

Some people are making the thread about me, but maybe you should just ask yourselves harder questions instead of just assuming the worst of me.

maybe people are just sickened the same way edge's "expansionism" is making you sick.

Maybe, but each of these people has one home. We're all greedy to an extent, but The Edge doesn't just want his one home, he wants to be a bloody land developer, when he's already beyond financially secure. Maybe you're right, but I don't know it just seems really sickeningly greedy to me. Thanks for discussing things, civilly, by the way.

what's sick is when people have worked hard and earned their money, they can't invest it and protect it without someone harping the word "greedy". you talk like edge is so rich his finances outnumber these people 2,0000000.0000 to 1. find me 1 single person in that community who hasn't taken large steps to protect their money. stop carrying on like these people are innocent in any way. everything about this article and thread smacks of jealously.

I just re-read some of this thread, and my sentiment is as follows:

06025620_.jpg

Shut your mouth. Sh-sh-sh shut your mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom