The Edge in a new movie - It Might Get Loud

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It was awesome.

I loved the little clip they showed of Slane Streets. :drool: I almost wanted to get up and jam. :p

I saw the movie last night :hyper: I was really tired and I get kind bored when my husband geeks out on guitar stuff so I was sort of prepared to be bored butI LOVED it. Of course the Whole Lotta Love scene was great. :love: I also liked seeing them go back to their 'roots' - the old houses where they recorded or Mt. Temple. And seeing them talk about their "babies", their favorite guitars.

I wasn't sure Jack White really belonged - I definitely felt like he was the kid sitting at the grown ups' table, and while I don't love The White Stripes or the Raconteurs, I can appreciate that he tries to be innovative.

Oh and the scene of Jimmy Page listening to Rumble the way so many listen to his stuff - just giddy - was really cute too.

two thumbs up

oh yeah, and seeing the live U2 footage, knowing that next week I'll be THERE was pretty cool too

The movie is finally coming to Austria :up:

We thought we'd miss out on that, because it was shown in Germany and other countries but there were no plans to bring it to Austria. Until now! It has been confirmed that the movie will be shown as part of our Viennale film festival, starting on 22 October. I'll try and get tickets for one of the dates. Can't wait to finally see it :hyper:

Movie finally opened here on Cape Cod this week, so I caught a matinee yesterday.

I actually felt like Jack and Jimmy had much more in common since both have a strong background in the blues. Edge seemed like the odd man out, with his mind-numbing array of instruments and effects. Thought it was hysterical to hear what Edge is REALLY playing on Elevation - two notes, with the effects pedal doing the rest.

Again, kudos to the director for not choosing only the hits as background music. As noted earlier, One Tree Hill, Electric Co, Grace, and even Bass Trap(!) all make appearances. And of course, I loved all the U2 'origin' footage - the house where they rehearsed for the War sessions, the outdoor platform at Mount Temple where they played an early gig (their first?), and yes, even the legendary bulletin board!

I personally didn't care for the way it was edited out of sequence, as it kept the film from having a "beginning-middle-end" story structure. Almost felt like the footage of each musician was directed by a different person.

That said, as a fan of both Edge and Jimmy Page, I found their stories to be very interesting - especially the sections about JP's early days as a session player. I had no idea!

Overall, I enjoyed it, but I feel it's definitely for fans of these musicians only - and probably guitar players (I'm not one).

DVD Release Dec22

From Sony Pictures Home Entertainment via Movieweb:

You can bring home a documentary featuring three amazing guitarists on DVD and Blu-ray this December. It Might Get Loud will be released on DVD and Blu-ray on December 22. The standard DVD will be priced at $27.96 SRP while the BD will go for $37.95 SRP. We don't have cover art images yet, but we'll update this story as soon as we have the artwork. The film stars Led Zeppelin's Jimmy Page, U2's The Edge and The White Stripes' Jack White.

The electric guitar has dominated popular music for the last half century. Anyone who has ever plugged into an amp understands its power. So does the average stadium crowd. But if you have too much exposure to amateurs, you might forget the incredible range of expression that the creation pioneered by Les Paul can achieve in the hands of masters.

Director Davis Guggenheim, well-known for his Academy Award-winning documentary An Inconvenient Truth, deepens our appreciation for going electric by bringing together three virtuosos from different generations: Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin, The Edge of U2 and Jack White of The White Stripes. It Might Get Loud weaves together their stories to reveal how each of them developed a unique sound.

Unlike rock 'n' roll documentaries that focus on backstage drama, this one concentrates on the music, giving us intimate access to the creative process. Each guitarist describes his own musical rebellion: Page against the saccharine pop of the sixties; The Edge against the self-indulgent solos of the seventies; White against the soulless bass machines of the eighties. The film also travels to the locations that left a mark on each player. Page visits the stone halls of Headley Grange where "Stairway to Heaven" was composed. In Dublin, The Edge pulls out the original four-track rehearsals of "Where the Streets Have No Name." And in Tennessee, White describes being inspired by the raw style of bluesman Son House. What's more, we see each musician play new work that has yet to be released.

The trio comes together for a jam session, during which they demonstrate their varying tastes in gear, from Page's double-neck guitar to The Edge's array of accessory pedals to White's cheap plastic instrument. Contrary to the stereotype that rock 'n' rollers are sullen and guarded, these three display an infectious joy when discussing their craft. Anyone who has ever played air guitar along with a Zeppelin song will be thrilled watching Page mimic the licks of one of his own favourites, Link Wray's "Rumble."

You don't need to be an aficionado to enjoy the pleasure of this company. This film might not affect how you play, but it will change how you listen.

Special Features:

- Toronto Film Festival Press Conference​

Available for preorder on Amazon: BluRay DVD

The movie is finally coming to Austria :up:

We thought we'd miss out on that, because it was shown in Germany and other countries but there were no plans to bring it to Austria. Until now! It has been confirmed that the movie will be shown as part of our Viennale film festival, starting on 22 October. I'll try and get tickets for one of the dates. Can't wait to finally see it :hyper:

No chance to get tickets for any of the dates, it's already sold out :sad:

Man I am so pissed right now, I think I'll never see this movie and have to wait for the DVD.

Damn, that sucks! :hug: Is it still running anywhere in town here? Hope you will get your chance.

I'll look if I may be able to catch it in Berlin.

If I find a little time tomorrow I'll go to the festival office to ask for any tickets that may be left.

Still no sign of any release in the UK???? What on earth is going on here!!! :doh:

I went to the festival ticket office this morning and they had spare tickets for Saturday night, so I took one, even though I have another appointment that day but I guess I'll have to keep that one short. That means I can actually go and see the movie after all. So glad it finally worked out.

God, it's obvious to me that The Edge is delusional, based on this doc I saw a month ago. He repeatedly plays the riff to "Get On Your Boots" like he really thinks it's this amazing thing. It sucks, Edge. You screwed up and I hate reading how those who don't like it aren't into challenging music. There are a lot of U2 fans that are like that, but that's not the problem with this song. It's way too CONSERVATIVE.

It makes me think that The Edge is the main problem with U2 not taking enough risks. He also recently said he wished he wrote that decent, but by no means transcendant, song "Wonder Wall". Really, Edge? You like stuff because it's popular and formulaic? "Wonder Wall" isn't Goo Goo Dolls or Third Eye Blind or anything so atrocious, but it's nothing that amazing.

Imagine if they'd gotten Thom Yorke and Robert Smith involved? Oh, man. Even with the current members, it should have been longer. I don't like Jack White's music much at all, though. He's an interesting guy, though. Then again, I don't care for Led Zeppelin, either. Just U2, please.

I just saw this last minute today and I thought it was awesome!

I'm a huge fan of Led Zep and Jack White and well, U2...you know that. :rolleyes: :lol:

Can't wait till they put this out on DVD with all the bonus stuff!
I absolutely loved when they were all jamming together. :up: Great stuff to hear. And I loved the part where Edge is playing on the beach during the credits and they asked him, "So you come out here often?" And his response is great. "Ooh yeah, it's what I do. I like to jam with the elements..." or something to that effect. :giggle:

Been waiting to see this for such a long time now and I finally saw it!!

Overall, I adored it! :D
I hope that anyone who has not had the chance to see it because it was not playing near them, will get a chance to see it sometime soon. :hyper:

Very good film. Loved the part where Edge explained his philosophy for his style (standing in his old music classroom at Mount Temple School) - distilling extra notes from chords to get them to their "purist form" - a lot of guitar fans seem to misunderstand his style and approach. He could play the more conventional way if he chose to.

Loved learning more about Page and Jack White too. Great choice putting the three of them together. Each is very unique, though I think Edge is the most distinctive among the three.

I saw this a few weeks ago. I loved the concept, and there is definitely good stuff in it, but I didn't care for the execution, or the incidental music and footage chosen to showcase The Edge.

Guggenheim included mostly un-remarkable archival footage of Edge that doesn't show off much of his creativity or technique in action - or his amazing ability to multitask, on songs like 'New Year's Day' and 'The Unforgettable Fire'. You would think that being known as 'the Edge Orchestra' would be worth exploring in this kind of discussion, and that they'd show him doing some really cool shit that only he can do.

And the songs chosen for background music - 'Trash, Trampoline and the Party Girl'? Really? I love the tune, in all its forms, but it's a throwaway B-side featuring acoustic rhythm guitar that could just as easily have been played by Bono. And 'Tomorrow' - I love it, but why would you feature a song that showcases an instrument that Edge doesn't even play, and that doesn't even have any electric guitar in it until the final chorus? WTF?

I'm glad I saw the doc, and I'll probably buy it when it hits DVD, but I think Guggenheim just missed the boat when it comes to Edge's place in the rock guitar pantheon.

I found the parts where Edge went back to their old school touching and funny at the same time. Also, the very old U2 material of their first performances made me cringe so badly, I could hardly watch. People were laughing :lol: I liked the movie a lot. The theatre was almost full, people were applauding in the end. There were some really interesting scenes, even though I don't know much about music and guitar playing, and some very weird and funny ones, thanks to Jack White. Also, Edge taking his equipment to the beach was hilarious :lol:

It Might Get Loud coming to iTunes, DVD
Posted: November 03, 2009
By: m2

It Might Get Loud, the guitar documentary that features The Edge with
Jimmy Page and Jack White, is coming to iTunes and DVD next month -
just in time for the holidays. According to an article on the LA Times
"Pop Hiss' blog, the movie will be available exclusively on iTunes for
two weeks starting on December 8th. The home video release follows on
December 22nd. Amazon already has the movie available for pre-order in
both the Blu-ray format or standard DVD.

(Amazon links are on-site: http://www.atu2.com/news/it-might-get-loud-coming-to-itunes-dvd.html)

Extra material? According to the LA Times piece, the home video will
have "up to nine additional songs." The iTunes version will also have
additional content, but no one's saying what or how much.

(Note: These are US release dates and information. Check your local
online stores for specifics in your country. Thx to @comay for the tip.)

LA Times article: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/mus...ector-davis-guggenheim-is-sold-on-itunes.html

Back
Top Bottom