The Edge in a new movie - It Might Get Loud

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great DVD, really interesting. Jimmy Page is a hero of mine as well as The Edge. You can't better 2 guitar gods in one movie !!

^Agree - the DVD is great. I also watched the extras (almost an hour's worth) of deleted scenes and the press conference. JP's Stairway to Heaven solo on the double neck was the most memorable scene for me - wow.

I want to see the extras! I'm not the type to buy movies/documentaries on DVD, since I end up watching it once, and then it sits on a shelf. Maybe I can borrow or rent it someday :sigh:

I want to see the extras! I'm not the type to buy movies/documentaries on DVD, since I end up watching it once, and then it sits on a shelf. Maybe I can borrow or rent it someday :sigh:

same here but none of my other movies are starring The Edge :sexywink: I think I'll watch this one a few times. It's a good rainy day, or in my case right now it's a good snowy day movie...

Just watched "It Might Get Loud" on blu-ray.

Although the previews kind of lead a viewer to think it's a 90 minute jam session between Jimmy Page, The Edge and Jack White, it's really more extended individual interviews with and a history of each guitarist's career. The parts where all three musicians are together in a large warehouse style studio discussing each other's songs and playing styles, sometimes playing bits of tunes together only comprises about 30% of the movie which concludes with the three playing a great acoustic version of The Band's song "The Weight." There's some nice deleted scenes included on the disc, my favorite being Page discussing and playing bits of "Kashmir" with the other two musicians.

The one thing that many people including myself will probably come out of watching this movie is a greater appreciation for Jack White who while could be criticized as too "retro" and perhaps contrived with his stripped down rootsy blues style, has an infectious passion and energy for (his) music that is hard to ignore. There's a few staged bits with White alone where he's with a 9 year old (uncredited) boy who's dressed like White and meant to represent White as a child with the elder Jack "teaching" the boy rudimentary blues that's a little odd.

As expected, The Edge spends a lot of time showing how he uses his massive arsenal of effects with guitars to come up with different sounds. One of the out takes shows him basically doing a soundcheck as the film crew sets up that's pretty cool to watch as he plays snippets of several well-known U2 songs like "Until The End Of The World." There's one interesting and rarely seen early 1978-ish performance of U2 playing a pre-1st album song "Street Mission" that I'm sure the band wished had never been filmed (Bono looks and acts like John Travolta in Saturday Night Fever).

But it's Jimmy Page however who comes across as the musicians' musician of the three and often basically schools the other two about songs, music in general and playing who are clearly in awe of Page.

The sound and video quality are pretty much top notch. The archive footage from all three players and their respective bands (U2's is mostly Elevation tour footage) is a bit rough in places and in U2's (2001 live stuff) case looks to be upsampled video from 480 to 1080p. I think there could have been a bit more separation giving the individual players a wider aural soundstage during the "Summit" portions of the film where they're playing together. One thing I liked about this blu-ray release, is you can listen to the film's audio and have the *commentary track subtitles* displayed at the same time thus getting both "perspectives" in one viewing.

Might be a bit to dry for most people and I personally wish there'd been more actual performance stuff with the three players together instead of the individual interview and archive footage stuff, but it's definitely worth a look.

T.B.

I love the movie and I'm very happy it's actually showing in regular cinemas here now. I'll also get myself the DVD. I saw it at the Vienna movie festival some weeks ago. The place was packed, people loved it and were applauding in the end. I thought it was really funny and interesting, also very touching in parts.

I guess I have to order this on Amazon, I forgot it came out before Christmas and tried looking for it a few times to no avail. Is there anybody in Houston who knows if they carry this?

Just watched the extras. Maybe it's just my own bias, but JP and Edge seem bored when they're playing the JW riff - I think it's Icky Thump - the last "extra". :giggle:

I :love: this film. It really inspired me to get up and play the guitar. I did all night after watching it!:lol: It's cool to see things from each guys perspective. Each one's roots begin with the blues. Especially Jack White. He seemed to me to be the one who was most influenced by the blues. Edge is more of the punk scene and Page is just, well he's something quite unique and different. Overall a great film!

Just back from seeing this film,and i must say its great! Hope it comes out on DVD in the UK so i can watch it again,ispired me to pick up my guitar the minute i got home.

Just watched the extras. Maybe it's just my own bias, but JP and Edge seem bored when they're playing the JW riff - I think it's Icky Thump - the last "extra". :giggle:

Because in all honesty Jimmy & Edge are way more innovative than Jack.

We went to see the movie tonight. I saw it for the second time already and loved it. I must say I find Led Zeppelin a big boring and Jack White a big extreme, though I really like what he did with the Raconteurs, but in this movie, all three of them come across really well and I liked their different approaches and the respect they have for each others (even though Jack seems to be a little arrogant at times, guess it's just rebellion of the younger generation). I liked that they are playing some rare and lesser known U2 songs in the movie.

Infinite Guitar not mentained in Loud?

It was very surprising to see that the infinite guitar was not really mentained in Loud very much. Especially considering it went in depth of the other's inventions, like Jack White asking for his mic to be built into the guitar. And Jimmy wanting to try using the Bow's. Wasnt Edge a major contributer in the development of the infinite guitar with Michael Brooks? I was expecting them to touch on it.

(Very good movie by the way)

Just back from seeing this film,and i must say its great! Hope it comes out on DVD in the UK so i can watch it again,ispired me to pick up my guitar the minute i got home.

Ask and ye shall receive. It comes out on DVD in the UK next week.
DVD: It Might Get Loud [DVD] [2008]: Amazon.co.uk: Jack White, Jimmy Page, The Edge, Davis Guggenheim: DVD
Blu-Ray: It Might Get Loud [Blu-ray] [2008]: Amazon.co.uk: Jack White, Jimmy Page, The Edge, Davis Guggenheim: DVD

:)

It was very surprising to see that the infinite guitar was not really mentained in Loud very much. Especially considering it went in depth of the other's inventions, like Jack White asking for his mic to be built into the guitar. And Jimmy wanting to try using the Bow's. Wasnt Edge a major contributer in the development of the infinite guitar with Michael Brooks? I was expecting them to touch on it.

(Very good movie by the way)

The Edge was sent a prototype of it by Michael Brook, but I don't think The Edge had anything to do with the guitar's development.

Just bought the DVD. Thought it was a great film, very well done. I do wish it might have been a different 3rd guitarist rather than Jack White although I suppose that is just because I'm not really a fan.

One thing I think the film should have addressed - and I don't know whether anyone else thought this - was the fact that both Jimmy Page and The Edge (I don't know about J.White) have explored several different musical genres during their careers and looked at how they moulded their respective styles around them.

Back
Top Bottom