The best U2 tribute-to-a-dead-man song ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
Tomorrow
MLK
One tree hill
Stuck in a moment
Peace on Earth
Sometimes you can't make it on your own
One step closer

other (say which, does something like Kite count - the live version being dedicated to Bob Hewson but the studio version originally being about Bono's fatherhood ?)

Take your pick.

One Tree Hill is an epic awesome great song.
Tomorrow is an okay song, MLK I still consider an intro, for a song it's too dull and short. Stuck is okay but not great. POA, SYClongtitle and OSC are all pretty boring. IMO.

So OTH wins.

Can someone tell for which people these songs are written?

Tomorrow - mother
MLK - MLK
One tree hill - Greg Carroll
Stuck in a moment - Michael Hutchence
Peace on Earth - The people listed in the song, and others
Sometimes you can't make it on your own - father
One step closer - father

Pride - MLK also with references to Jesus and others
WUDM - Jesus with references to his mother
Angel of Harlem - Billie Holiday

I like God Part II if that one counts. One Tree Hill is excellent, and I like Tomorrow, it seems to capture the way he felt at that young age.

You can throw "Lemon" in there as well, which, if I am not mistaken, is at least partially about Bono's mother.

Well, my least favorite was when Bono dedicated the live version of One to Michael Hutchence. The lyrics do not work at all...

Is it getting better, or do you feel the same?
Well, I f-ing killed myself so what do you think...

Will it make it easier on you now you got someone to blame?
Easier than what? And who am I going to blame for committing suicide?

Tomorrow, easily. The lyrics are uncomfortably honest, but undeniably affecting. And that outro just kicks ass.

Well, my least favorite was when Bono dedicated the live version of One to Michael Hutchence. The lyrics do not work at all...

Well, I f-ing killed myself so what do you think...

Easier than what? And who am I going to blame for committing suicide?

That depends on who the 'you' is. Bono might've sung about himself during that performance. I really like the performance on the Popmart DVD. The wailing by Bono at the end is so raw, him exorcising his demons.

I always thought that Kite (studio version) is for Bono's father ... Oh, ok it doesn't matter. My favourite tribute-to-a-dead-man song is Stuck in a moment. I love this song, the lyric, everything :heart:

Back
Top Bottom