The 25th Anniversary Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame Concerts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Danny Boy

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Harvard Supermodel Activist of the Decade Runner-U
This is now out on CD. I just picked it up yesterday at Barnes and Noble. It's a 4 CD set, and disc 4 is all U2.

1. Vertigo
2. Magnificent
3. Because the Night w/ Bruce Springsteen and Patti Smith
4. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For w/ Bruce Springsteen
5. Mysterious Ways
6. Where Is the Love/One w/ The Black Eyed Peas
7. Gimme Shelter w/ Mick Jagger, Fergie, and will.i.am
8. Stuck in a Moment w/ Mick Jagger
9. Beautiful Day

Ugh, pity about all the Black Eyed Peas on there. :wink:

I'd be tempted to pick this up if I didn't have to buy the other three discs with it. Boo.

is the 2-disc set only available at barnes& noble? i dont see it on bestbuy, futureshop, or hmv websites

oh wait, hmv does show it

WOW.

Not to derail the thread and I remember registering my displeasure at the time, but Magnificent and Stuck had NO PLACE in that set!(And for the record, Stuck has really grown on me over the years and I love, love, love Magnificent!)

Even Vertigo is debatable.

SBS?
NYD?
Streets?
Pride?
Bad?
I Will Follow?
Gloria?
Desire?

Cringeworthy that none of this was played at a show celebrating artists' place in rock HISTORY.

They had plenty of time to promote the 00s on tour.

WOW.

Not to derail the thread and I remember registering my displeasure at the time, but Magnificent and Stuck had NO PLACE in that set!(And for the record, Stuck has really grown on me over the years and I love, love, love Magnificent!)

Mick Jagger worked with the band on Stuck during the ATYCLB sessions, so it makes sense for the duet. I thought he brought a nice bluesy feeling to it.

Oh there were Blu-Ray even i think i'll buy it, i really liked the whole thing. Not only U2 wich was the reason i watched it.

Mick Jagger worked with the band on Stuck during the ATYCLB sessions, so it makes sense for the duet. I thought he brought a nice bluesy feeling to it.

The moaning about the setlist would be credible had U2 not included non-00s U2 material such as MW, I still haven't found..., 3 covers in their set and payed tribute to Bruce Springsteen, Patti Smith and Rolling Stones.

It's also on iTunes

Still Haven't Found w/Bruce is awesome, I love it

I also got Because The Night then I wondered why I did. I just can't get past her voice.

The moaning about the setlist would be credible had U2 not included non-00s U2 material such as MW, I still haven't found..., 3 covers in their set and payed tribute to Bruce Springsteen, Patti Smith and Rolling Stones.

no. the moaning is very credible.

i was at this concert... and i left with a "wow that was pretty awesome at parts but.. um... yea" feeling in my stomach. i actually wished at the end of it that i had chosen to go to the first night instead and gotten to see springsteen's epic closing set.

that wasn't a night to prove that you're still relevant. that was a night to celebrate the history of rock and roll. and for u2 to close out the night and play a set that featured so many post 2000 songs, and the friggin black eyed peas?

Key.JPG

c'mon, man.

we get it. you're still relevant. you still matter. you're not (irony alert) turning into the rolling stones. okay. but that wasn't the night to prove it. but as was stated... to not have any of streets, sunday bloody sunday, pride, bad, new years day, one or i will follow on the setlist was really a bit of a joke.

Not unless you plainly dislike the 00's U2. There was non-00's material and covers (Bruce had plenty of covers too) to enjoy.

Not unless you plainly dislike the 00's U2. There was non-00's material and covers (Bruce had plenty of covers too) to enjoy.

I almost always defend 00's U2 and feel that for the decade as a whole, there exist only dumb criticisms of it and then slightly less dumb criticisms of it.

As Headache said, this was a night to celebrate rock history.

Non 00s- Still Haven't Found and Mysterious Ways. That was it.

And though great and memorable songs, both of them, they are not the staples of rock history that Sunday Bloody Sunday, New Year's Day, Pride, Bad, Streets and One are now and will be even more so in the future.

Get real here! Bono with the white flag at Red Rocks(SBS), with the girl at Live Aid(Bad) and all of them on horseback amidst the brutal unforgiving Cold War era winter(NYD) are forever etched in any fan of the genre's mind!

I still haven't found... is just as much a staple as the other 80's songs or One.

MW maybe a little less, but a great version and a great live song, with a nicely done nod to BEP.

There is no reason why in 2009 a U2 set should have less than half of 00's songs.

I still haven't found... is just as much a staple as the other 80's songs or One.

MW maybe a little less, but a great version and a great live song, with a nicely done nod to BEP.

There is no reason why in 2009 a U2 set should have less than half of 00's songs.

they completely lost the crowd with the black eyed peas. just saying... that nice nod? the crowd had no idea what was going on. half the crowd, that had stood for most of the night, sat down during that song... only to be brought back to life when mick came out on the next song.

and yea, there is a reason why a 2009 u2 set shouldn't be made up of at least half 2000 songs... it's a night celebrating history and the 2000's are only a friggin third of their history.

the black eyed peas should have been dumped, magnificent should have been left home, and streets damn sure shoulda made it in there.

and the set coulda been a bit longer. i would have been more okay with the newer songs if the set was longer and had a few older songs in there as well.

and all that is without even bringing up the absolute debacle that was the three take because the night fuck up. or that bono's pre i still haven't found what i'm looking for wandering speech was only half over (you could read it on the setlist) when bruce had to pretty much say "hey bud, let's play the song"

leaving the garden that night was the first time in my life as a u2 fan that i actually thought they were a little lame.

Thread Necromancer.

I was at this concert. It was amazing. Granted, I could understand what everyone said about the odd selection of songs... regardless... still an amazing concert. Although yeah, Black Eyed Peas, this was when I learned of how bad they are live. But that being said, the crowd was often lost that night, especially because it was such a diverse crowd. When Metallica started? Kinda quiet.

Anyways, I'm resurrecting this thread to share some of the writing out of the pamphlet from the DVD, because I'm sure some fans would find some of it interesting (and really funny):

THE PLANNING
All it took to get started were the two biggest concert acts in the world. "The first calls," says Jann Wnner, "were to Bruce and U2. And immediately, they said yes. They didn't hesitate." The Next call was to Mick Jagger, who said that the Rolling Stones wouldn't be able to get it together for the shows...

For the artists, it was a major show of faith to the Hall of Fame, and a huge favor. They weren't being paid for the work - the concerts were meant to raise a permanent endowment for the Hall (they ended up raising about $5 million) - and many of them had to interrupt tours or vacations. Springsteen and U2 each came off the road.

The show took time to shape. There was talk about Aerosmith joining forces with Metallica, but then Aerosmith took a multi-million dollar gig in the Middle-East. Van Morrison was in for a while, then dropped out. Both U2 and Springsteen were interested in Bob Dylan, but Dylan declined despite months of entreaties. Neil Young nearly joined up with CSN, but a family matter kept him away. The organizers would have loved to land Chuck Berry, Little Richard, and Fats Domino for the show, but Little Richard had recently undergone hip-replacement surgery, and Berry and Domino didn't want to travel to the event. In the end, Jerry Lee Lewis was the only rock pioneer who could make it.

The massive stage would help make the arena intimate - U2's Adam Clayton would say that it felt like a theater -

The logistics of the show were overwhelmingly complex: 500 employees - from stagehands to the personnel needed to man 19 cameras for the broadcast - three rehearsal studios running at once, artists and their entourages in 16 different hotels.

Lol make sure to read this next bit.
LIVE NATION VICE PRESIDENT DAN PARISE

As the concert approached, trouble broke out. Aretha Franklin threatened to pull out and made elaborate demands to the organizers - her requests, as stated in firm voicemails ("I am sorry that it is going down this way," she said, "but that's the way it's going down"), included turning off all ventilation in Madison Square Garden for hours before her performance and covering all vents in her dressing room with cardboard. More seriously, Eric Clapton discovered that he needed gallstone surgery and canceled his appearance - suddenly the concert had a hole to fill. After a few panicked phone calls, one of Clapton's guests, Jeff Beck, agreed to step up as a headliner.

Parise's walkie-talkie crackles and his BlackBerry buzzes - there are more requests from Aretha Franklin: She wants Chinese food in her dressing room and space heaters onstage. Clearly, it's going to be a long week. Parise laughs and gets back to work.

The arena is filled with the sound of saws and hammers as crew members frantically assemble the stage - which at the time moment is in two separate pieces, each at opposite ends of the building. The crew he supervised began loading in the lights and sound equipment nearly a week before the first concert and after a forced break for a Rangers hockey game, assembled the stage from scratch in just a little more than 24 hours, beginning at midnight.

Bono takes the second verse and Jagger stands to one side, staring at him with one leg cocked and one hand on his hip, as if judging an aspiring student. "Bono's very generous with letting other people come up and do their thing with U2," Clayton points out. "Bono's secure in his own ability and position to do that."

This would've been an abomination
U2 had experimented with a hip-hop-influenced but faithful version of "Gimme Shelter" (arranged by Will.i.am), but they opted to fully U2-ize the song, straying even further from the original - the Edge even altered the chord structure, changing some major chords to minor. Jagger approved. "He, in fact, wanted us to come up with something fresh," says the Edge.

Springsteen exercises a rare privilege during his appearance, interrupting one of Bono's stage raps. "For a lot of us here, rock & roll means just one word: liberation. Political, sexual, spiritual liberation." Bono was saying, when Springsteen - waiting to duet on "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" - jumped in: "Let's have some fun with it!" Springsteen says, embracing his friend as the song begins.
"That was a good moment," Jagger says. "That was a bar-band moment." But the truth is, Bono asked Springsteen to chime in: "I said, 'I'm going to start rapping here. Don't be afraid to keep it going if I go off-piece.' I think he just wanted to keep it fun, keep it light." Bono points out that Springsteen's cousin and assistant road manager, Lenny Sullivan, had died earlier in the week; the morning after his U2 cameo, Springsteen would attend the funeral. "He was in a very vulnerable place," Bono says. "That he turned up at all was very moving to us."

Will.i.am felt right at home on the stage: "There's many different types and forms of rock & roll. Michael Jackson told me, 'Any music that inspires people to have sex is rock & roll!"

HARD DAY'S NIGHT (image of Bono laying down on musical equipment)
Bono backstage. The night before the concert, U2 flew to New York from Vancouver with the Black Eyed Peas. It was a rough flight for Bono and Will.i.am. "We drank enough whiskey on the plane to keep us talking all night," Bono said.

Where were you seated?

Also, I absolutely love that segment about Aretha demanding Chinese food and hot, sweaty conditions. Cracks me up.

Probably one of Aretha's demands. Either that, or it was for all of the senile old people the night before :lol:

Very cool, so you were one of the fans makin noise before the rest of us could see anything then I suppose?

I was up in the nosebleeds to the left of the stage. Almost went by myself, forced my brother-in-law to go with me. Amazing all around concert.

Back
Top Bottom