Terry Lawless' Role

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think that's because Adam may be a little clueless sometimes. :hmm: More than once I've seen him bopping along in his own little cool bass player world, with Edge keeping a heavy eye on him, trying to get him to pay attention.

:up::up::up: Couldn't Agree More. I was extremely lucky. Their small theater runs this year were amazing. I missed them play the Vic Theater in Chicago in 2003- my own backyard. So I promised myself, if I had a chance to see them play small again I would. Didn't think I'd fly to NY but it was totally worth it. Talk about rarities, they played The Nightwatchman! I was beyond thrilled. My fiancée was given the setlist our first night after 3 flight diversions that day due to heavy rain. It felt like the rock gods were looking down in us.

I was also extremely lucky to see PJ open for Tom Petty/ Heartbreakers 30th Anniversary show at Summerfest 2006 Milwaukee. That was my first PJ show ever- made me a believer in them. PJ is solid. I feel like they stole the show from Tom, so much energy.

You are lucky, I wish I could see TP&HB in a small venue. I am also a big fan, and would love to see some of the rare songs and deep cuts live, instead of the usual greatest hits run. Such a great, organic band. Anyone who has never seen them, GO the next chance you get!

He doesn't want to be on stage. It seems as though U2 are hiding him, but there you are. He's just a shy guy. They really should get someone else who can take the heat, though. Instead of playing to backing tracks, they should get another utility infielder and starting pitcher (hey Daniel Lanois! What's up!).

He's got a pretty big resume. Is he always hidden in these situations?

Weird to see that he's been on a couple Springsteen tours. Now that is a stage full of people, including two keyboard players. Can't imagine they would need another guy.

There was an article posted about Terry and his current projects here some time ago (sorry, cannot find it now). In the article he said that he's ready to go on tour again with U2 sometimes next year, so I guess they must have asked him to be prepared. To me it didn't sound like he wanted to be ON stage with them, he seems to be quite a shy, background kind of guy. I wouldn't mind having him on stage actually, most people know anyway that the band of four cannot play all these instruments you're hearing by themselves.

I think he only actually plays on a few songs, for the rest he is just queueing midi sequences up, etc.. (well, I say just, but it is a full-time and very complex job, so no disrespect!) so if he was on stage it would look good for a couple of songs, and then he would just be fiddling with his laptop and equipment for the rest of the show.

So I think that his role is more like Willie Williams as light director. He is a part of the show, but not part of the performance most of the time.

It is interesting however that the band value his input and he has gone in the studio with them several times, which is cool.

And as for Dallas, if he played guitar all the time he would need his own tech to keep control of his and Edge's gear, so you would need a new Dallas!

They do have at least one other. I talked with a musician neighbor who knew the second tech. Apparently Dallas and others like him are kind of gods among stage crew, and they have another guy to help handle the less high stakes tasks.

I think he only actually plays on a few songs, for the rest he is just queueing midi sequences up, etc.. (well, I say just, but it is a full-time and very complex job, so no disrespect!) so if he was on stage it would look good for a couple of songs, and then he would just be fiddling with his laptop and equipment for the rest of the show.

So I think that his role is more like Willie Williams as light director. He is a part of the show, but not part of the performance most of the time.

Exactly... He's playing keys on a handful of songs per show, 2-3 tops, and the rest of the time he's pushing buttons... Important, yes, but no need to be on stage.

Exactly... He's playing keys on a handful of songs per show, 2-3 tops, and the rest of the time he's pushing buttons... Important, yes, but no need to be on stage.

I don't know - even looking at the rose bowl set list for an example, it seems like there are more live keys than a handful. Breathe, for instance - it would make more sense to have the piano riff played live than to risk getting out of sync for those few times it comes around. Same with Walk On or Stuck. If all these bit parts were sequenced, I think we'd notice more glitches and timing snafus here and there. Even a stripped down song like IALW has subtle keys accenting Edge's chords. Really, the more they can handle live with human musicians, they more flexible they can be.

I don't even mind this stuff, I just wish we knew a little more about the production side.

I just rememebered something yesteryay. The interviews from aroudn Glastonbury with Willie Williams! They cover Terry's role pretty well, as his entire gear was knocked over by the dumb DJ who did the pre show warm up. He had to get everything back together but EBTTRT missed all the appropriate backingtracks/loops, and the click track from Streets later in the show was messed up as well which was why Edge had to restart it.

I think that may very well be the reason he's in the Underworld, Terry uses a lot of gear and I can see Bono stupidly walk into it and knock it all over. :wink:
But it seems logistically more sane to keep a lot of sensitive gear under the stage.

I remember something like this - when they were first figuring out how to play OOTS?

Yes, I remember they kept struggling to find an arrangement that they liked for OOTS, and they brought out Terry Lawless on stage for a couple of shows, but i guess they weren't satisfied with that approach either. I thought they were shows in Europe, but I could be wrong.

I know the band members have made the point before that they believe it is important for people to just see the 4 band members on stage and that's it. They feel it's important for the mystique of U2.

I thought it was a cool little moment when Bono gave him a little spotlight moment in live Unknown Caller. Makes the whole enterprise seem a little less surreptitious.

Good question. I never like pd that he's hidden playing downstairs instead of on stage

I agree also, I went to see The Killers last year and they had a couple of guys supporting them also...... I had always thought they were a four piece but one of the fans near me said these extra guys have been with them for a few tours. They weren't prominent on stage but you definitely knew they were there.

It's even sillier with a band like Coldplay or the Killers when the lead singer makes a show of playing some keys in a few spots when there are loads of keyboards on every song.

I guess the whole thing is pretty pedantic in 2013 when nearly any huge act trying to put on a massive show uses supplementary musicians and sequencing.

When I was a young guy, U2 broke my heart just a little when I couldn't figure out where that second guitar chord was coming from in BTBS chorus live. Wait . . . Edge is playing the little D-E riff; where's that simultaneous trebly chord coming from? For some reason, I was ok with the canned organ into to WTSHNN and the arpeggiated loop in Bad.

After the ZooTV sonic onslaught when nearly every song had extra sweetening, I guess I let it go.

Back
Top Bottom