Ten Years Of Vertigo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
That's right folks, can you believe it? Ten years ago this week, on September 23rd, 2004, we all went to a place called Vertigo for the first time, as the first single from U2's eleventh LP "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb", was released to radio. The single wouldn't be released commercially until November, shortly before the record, and the official music video would be released in late October, by which time the iPod commercial would already be out, but this is the real anniversary of Vertigo.

If you were around these parts then, you might remember that a Croatian radio station leaked it...I mean, it was going to be played that day no matter what, but that station played it some hours earlier than anybody else. There was a mad scramble to get it. Unlike Boots and The Miracle, which were instantly available on iTunes, the only way to get Vertigo was to pass the mp3 of the radio broadcast(well, various mp3s of various radio broadcasts) around. There wasn't even any YouTube yet in September of 2004.

It was the first new U2 we'd heard since Electrical Storm and The Hands That Built America in the fall of 2002. It got a very positive response here(although compared to Jet a lot), though I didn't love it right away.

Here wasn't the only place it got a very positive response. It was a hit right away. It was the last time U2 had that kind of hit single.

I just can't believe it's been ten years already. Time goes by too fast.

For your entertainment, here is one of the threads from that day in which people are passing the song around and posting their initial reactions:

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f288/merged-i-give-you-vertigo-vertigo-is-here-97011.html

And if you want some nostalgia, here's the forum page from the EYKIW archives that that thread was on:

Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive - Page 725 - U2 Feedback

sing053-01.jpg

God, I'm old... :sad:

Well, I still love the song to the ground.
But I wanted really badly that "Full Metal Jacket" song
All we got was the riff

I remember the week leading up to its release on radio fondly.

Every major station in Melbourne played it at least once every hour all day :heart:

Holy shit...

I was 10 when this came out, unreal. I was still living on my childhood street and my dad got the U2 iPod for Christmas and I thought it was the coolest thing ever.

Time flies.

Can't believe it. I'm not sure a powerful loud rock song like this could become the Hot 100 hit it did today.

I believe its tied for 2nd with a few other singles for U2's best performing single at 20 weeks on the Hot 100?

I'm still not sick of it, but it seems some fans are. But come on, the first time it came out you knew it was one of their best pure rock songs. And refreshing to hear and see on TV. And may be even better live, I love the intro live.

10 years already? Wow. Vertigo was another song that got me hooked on U2. Still think it's great.

I was 11-12ish at the time this came out :ohmy:, HTDAAB was pretty much my first U2 album and it definitely opened me up to a whole new world of amazing music.

This is the song that got me into U2 (at the age of 9). Lots of nostalgia.

Yup. Same here. I remember seeing the apple commercial and my brother and I were making fun of the commercial. Then I asked my dad who it was, and he said "the greatest band to ever walk the face of the earth." I then realized it was that band that he used to blast down in our basement on his vinyl. Good times.....

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I was 27 (I feel old) driving home from my old job when KROQ actually played the song for the first time. I liked it at first, but eventually the song got old for me. I was also here the day Henry Rollins trolled us all by saying he'd play a new U2 song on his radio show, but he never did. Jerk.

This and the collab with Greenday (as they where flying through the charts during their Amarican Idiot album/tour) Is what got me hooked again. :up: Loved to see the clip as a 14 y.o. and couldn't stop rocking t it. I was sooo young :wink: And STILL AM.

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah

:wink: But seriously ,this was pretty much the song that got me hooked on U2 after liking BD and Elevation and ES but being too young to appreciate it. So Vertigo will always be somewhat special to me. Even with the kneels and souls and yeahs. :D

namkcuR, you really create the best anniversary threads! You cover every aspect of what all happened, when it happened, how many ever years ago. :up:

Vertigo sounded decent on first listen but very soon the "Hello Hello Hola" combined with the unnecessary and not to mention incorrect spanish counting started getting on my nerves. I love the basic riff in this song and I love that it is a neat little pop-ish rock number. But it has been a love/hate relationship with this song for me almost from day one!

Stuck In A Moment was the start of the butchering of U2. Vertigo hit the nail on the coffin. The U2 I had been familiar with in the 90s no longer existed.

I loved it at the time, grew to hate it, and then the hate cooled into this quiet appreciation for what it does well. It's a well crafted pop number with a great guitar tone and a sense of fun (Bono was definitely drunk on that vocal take!) that I don't feel anywhere on the new album, nor on the grey, serious NLOTH. Possibly the dumbest track they've ever written, but that's the point.

Ten years, huh? I remember hearing it on the radio and thinking "U2 are a dad rock outfit now?" And everyone seemed to be inexplicably losing their shit over it, like U2 had reinvented rock n roll maaaan. Still, it was the last time they had a hit. And it had my 55 year old dad singing along to it during Live 8. Word for fucking word. That will stay with me forever. Thanks, U2!

Loved vertigo and still do, espcially live.

Id left school/sixth form the summer before vertigo came out and i wish id still have been at school when it came out cause it such a cool song. Being young i would have walked around school happy as larry seeing as my favourite band had just released a song that sounded like some 20 year olds.

Vertigo rocked!

That's right folks, can you believe it? Ten years ago this week, on September 23rd, 2004, we all went to a place called Vertigo for the first time, as the first single from U2's eleventh LP "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb", was released to radio. The single wouldn't be released commercially until November, shortly before the record, and the official music video would be released in late October, by which time the iPod commercial would already be out, but this is the real anniversary of Vertigo.

If you were around these parts then, you might remember that a Croatian radio station leaked it...I mean, it was going to be played that day no matter what, but that station played it some hours earlier than anybody else. There was a mad scramble to get it. Unlike Boots and The Miracle, which were instantly available on iTunes, the only way to get Vertigo was to pass the mp3 of the radio broadcast(well, various mp3s of various radio broadcasts) around. There wasn't even any YouTube yet in September of 2004.

It was the first new U2 we'd heard since Electrical Storm and The Hands That Built America in the fall of 2002. It got a very positive response here(although compared to Jet a lot), though I didn't love it right away.

Here wasn't the only place it got a very positive response. It was a hit right away. It was the last time U2 had that kind of hit single.

I just can't believe it's been ten years already. Time goes by too fast.

For your entertainment, here is one of the threads from that day in which people are passing the song around and posting their initial reactions:

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f288/merged-i-give-you-vertigo-vertigo-is-here-97011.html

And if you want some nostalgia, here's the forum page from the EYKIW archives that that thread was on:

Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive - Page 725 - U2 Feedback

sing053-01.jpg

That thread was such a trip down the memory lane lol, i remember it like it was yesterday..10 years sigh

thx namkcuR :up:

I was 27 (I feel old) driving home from my old job when KROQ actually played the song for the first time. I liked it at first, but eventually the song got old for me. I was also here the day Henry Rollins trolled us all by saying he'd play a new U2 song on his radio show, but he never did. Jerk.

I was 26 then with the Rollins incident. Yes we are getting older. Wait until the band retires. :lol:

Sent from my iPod touch using U2 Interference

I'm not a huge fan of the studio version. But it's their best live rocker. The one with Stories For Boys snippet is just that much more awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Wow,ten years. I was 21,christ I feel old now. Song still rocks though,I remember burning it on to cd and blasting it from my car. Good times.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using U2 Interference mobile app

Ive just brought a u2 ipod off ebay?this is my 3rd one now. The other two broke. 10 years?

Back
Top Bottom