Taylor Hawkins of Foo Fighters Hates 'Discotheque'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Didn't Dave Grohl kinda slack Bono off in one of the U2 books I have? I can't quite remember which book it was but Dave was very underwhelmed with the B man.

It was sort of the other way around, actually. Bono invited Grohl backstage when he attended a Zoo TV show to watch the Pixies open for U2, and Dave made a remark along the lines of "look, no offense, but I can't see why the Pixies would do something like this." Bono then claimed to tell him something about how he couldn't predict what he'd would be doing in the future, and then how Dave claimed in a future Nirvana interview about how Bono tried to "change" them... or something along those lines. Bono then said that Dave "obviously isn't the brains in the group." The full story should be in the At the End of the World book.

Weirdly enough, the Foos were supposed to be one of the bands opening for U2 at Slane Castle in 2001, before having to cancel due to a health episode with Hawkins. So maybe he was on to something after all!

Grohl also referenced that meeting in a recent interview too, claiming that Bono was trying to get Nirvana to open for them at some point later on.

I'm mostly impressed he knows that Discotheque exists... I didn't think anyone outside of Interference remembered Pop.

I'm mostly impressed he knows that Discotheque exists... I didn't think anyone outside of Interference remembered Pop.

A stupid post like this helps to wake me up in the morning.

There's a lot of contradictions between what Grohl has become and what Nirvana used to preach about.

Don't get me wrong... I have tremendous respect for Grohl as one of the last real people left, but it just shows how ones perceptions and reality can change as one gets older.

I think you hit upon something right here that a lot of people overlook or dont realize. None of us have a crystal ball, if we did, we'd be foolish not to look into it. Not that it would even matter though, many of us (myself included) aren't fully capable or looking at our past and learning from our own mistakes.

As we get older, all of us will change, develope, and probably turn into something we once thought was not possible or desireable. Its just life, part of the natural process of getting older, evolving, etc.

It would be funny to see this down the road, say in 15 years, if this place still exists and people are still posting here. Something tells me it wont be the same old crowd....but one never knows.

I think you hit upon something right here that a lot of people overlook or dont realize. None of us have a crystal ball, if we did, we'd be foolish not to look into it. Not that it would even matter though, many of us (myself included) aren't fully capable or looking at our past and learning from our own mistakes.

As we get older, all of us will change, develope, and probably turn into something we once thought was not possible or desireable. Its just life, part of the natural process of getting older, evolving, etc.

It would be funny to see this down the road, say in 15 years, if this place still exists and people are still posting here. Something tells me it wont be the same old crowd....but one never knows.

As I continue to mature in real life, I plan on being just as immature here 15 years from now.

I had no idea 15 years ago that today id be so wealthy and still have my beauty. Its literally unfair to the poor and the pitiful, it really is, im almost embarrassed of it.

Makes sense, he doesn't want artists to change or challenge themselves musically.
I'm all for rock and roll, but you can't do the same thing forever. These staunch "it's gotta be rock" people are ridiculous.
Listen to the Foo Fighters. They've been making the same album for almost 20 years, and always act like they're breaking new ground. It's just paint by numbers rock.
(Don't get me wrong, Dave's a modern Tom Petty with a great ear for hooks and melodies, but it's not very challenging musically.)

Makes sense, he doesn't want artists to change or challenge themselves musically.
I'm all for rock and roll, but you can't do the same thing forever. These staunch "it's gotta be rock" people are ridiculous.
Listen to the Foo Fighters. They've been making the same album for almost 20 years, and always act like they're breaking new ground. It's just paint by numbers rock.
(Don't get me wrong, Dave's a modern Tom Petty with a great ear for hooks and melodies, but it's not very challenging musically.)

I highly doubt Grohl is going to pick up a synthesizer any time soon, which would probably be the only way he could 'challenge' himself beyond the confines of typical rock music. But anyone thinking he's going be Trent Reznor all of a sudden would probably be mistaken. They did have two or so piano-based numbers on their 2007 album, which had mixed results at best. This probably explains why that route hasn't been approached much since then.

Otherwise, they have explored plenty of sounds in the rock world, both alternative or acoustic-based, and a lot of their riffs aren't necessarily conventional rock chord progressions either. So to say it's the same song over and over would be like saying "it has a guitar, therefore, it sounds the same". I'm not saying that's what you're claiming here, but I think it's a bit more nuanced than that. There's plenty of songs in their catalog that don't sound like the others, unless people are just familiar with the singles that have electric guitars on them (and therefore, "sound the same" :lol:).

Don't get me wrong... I have tremendous respect for Grohl as one of the last real people left

What does that mean? Is he one of the last people fighting the Nexus Six take-over?

Man, the Foos are OK but melodies are not their strength. Grohl isn't exaclty Noel Gallagher.

scurrd.gif

Although in U2's defense, Foo/Wasting Light was equivalent to U2/Amnesty & JT era, in terms of the age of the band, etc...U2 has a few years on the Foos.

Although in U2's defense, Foo/Wasting Light was equivalent to U2/Amnesty & JT era, in terms of the age of the band, etc...U2 has a few years on the Foos.

You know their in their 40's right? wasn't U2 about..27 years old when they made the Joshua Tree? U2 made JT 7 years into their recording career, FF made wasting light 17 years into their career..just saying

You know their in their 40's right? wasn't U2 about..27 years old when they made the Joshua Tree? U2 made JT 7 years into their recording career, FF made wasting light 17 years into their career..just saying

Doh, I counted Foo as 7 years, not 17. So it's like their Pop era, not their JT era :)

Back
Top Bottom