Taylor Hawkins of Foo Fighters Hates 'Discotheque'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Him along with so many others. Worst lead single of their career until GOYB came along.

It's a good song with a weak lyric, but the video played a big part in killing that album's reception.

"Drummer of rock band that hasn't made a daring song in their entire career dislikes daring U2 song"

More at 11.

:rolleyes: trust everyone in EYKIW to immediately jump down the throat of anyone who even remotely criticises U2. I had a good chuckle reading it, and I fucking love Discotheque.

I already hated that guy for keeping Grohl from drumming. He's a solid guitar player, but what a waste.

Still, it's hard to believe that quite possibly the best rock drummer in the world under age 60 barely plays the drums. That's just sad.

Hard to be the lead singer and frontman and the drummer at the same time...

True, but I suppose it's not impossible. Weirdly enough, I saw Hawkins play with his side project live seven years ago, and he was handing the lead vocals and drums all at the same time. He didn't do bad at all, although I'll also admit that being in a small theater space with no more than 100 people probably helped all the more. I doubt Grohl would be able to pull that off in full arenas for a whole set. Plus, he isn't that bad of a frontman or guitar player either.

:rolleyes: trust everyone in EYKIW to immediately jump down the throat of anyone who even remotely criticises U2. I had a good chuckle reading it, and I fucking love Discotheque.

That was basically my same reaction. I've met Taylor on a few occasions in the past too and he couldn't have been a nicer guy. Didn't get the chance to ask him about U2 though... maybe that would have changed my tune! :lol:

I don't know about many others here, but I love reading the comments section on the AV Club website for a lot of things. This article and other ones regarding U2 are no exception. It sort of gives you a different perspective on some opinions outside of the typical Interference or other U2 forum-world, so to speak.

Hawkins loved u2 up until achtung baby, thought achtung baby was alright, hated pop, hated discotheque including the video and loved atyclb onwards.

Thats the whole article sumed up. Good article though!

That wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. He sounds like a cross between Axl Rose and a cement mixer.

Last edited:
Hawkins loved u2 up until achtung baby, thought achtung baby was alright, hated pop, hated discotheque including the video and loved atyclb onwards.

Thats the whole article sumed up. Good article though!

Yeah, so what? Different strokes for different people. It's predictable to see the majority of active Interference members jumping at someone who dares to not love POP and see its revolutionary greatness. If he had dissed some U2's 2000's work, most here would eagerly agree.

Everyone outside the u2 fan community hate pop anyway dont they? Hawkins has the general view as most music fans(apart from us lot)

Thats why u2 went back to the safe u2 and erased pop from the memory of their history.

The AV Club (the "serious" pop culture reviews/articles section of The Onion) does a running series about Hate Songs. some of them are entertaining reads, and others are kind of crap.

This was one of the good ones.

Didn't Dave Grohl kinda slack Bono off in one of the U2 books I have? I can't quite remember which book it was but Dave was very underwhelmed with the B man.

Back
Top Bottom