Synths in U2's music

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

80sU2isBest

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
In the beginning, U2 hardly ever used synths, but with Unforgettable Fire on, synths have been present on almost every album.

Do you like U2's use of synths? If so, what style do you prefer:

(1) the Zooropa and Pop style, when synths were loud, funky and in the forefront

(2) Unforgettable Fire style, molding the atmosphere

(3) The rest, pads and strings providing a subtle backdrop, filling in the holes

The synth was such a bad word in music for awhile :lol:

I've always liked all 3, there have been a few moments when U2 didn't do it right but for the most part I'm a fan of all 3.

I've always liked all 3, there have been a few moments when U2 didn't do it right but for the most part I'm a fan of all 3.

I like when synths are at the forefront by ABBA and ELO, but I'm not a huge fan when U2 does it, for some reason.

I love the other 2 styles I mentioned. But there are probably even more styles I didn't mention.

All three. By and large U2 have always used synths well, especially when the bald synth-meister is with them.

I do believe it was The Edge who said (in some early 80s news publishing) that they were strongly against synthesized 'crap' or something of the sort.

Funny how things change.

The context implied that they were against using synthesizers completely. Not against using them in a bad way.

They've clearly changed.

In general I can't stand synthesizer music, it's too cold and clinical for me, but on the whole I think U2 have used synths very well. The sort of stuff they did on Zooropa and Pop sounded pretty cool and Bad wouldn't be Bad for me without that crystalline intro.

I've never really liked the use of strings though in songs like OOTS or Window In The Sky, it sounds a bit overdone. When U2 try and do The Beatles it never really works for me.

They have yet to match their latter-day gift for Beatles-esque vocal melody with a killer instrumental.

In general I can't stand synthesizer music, it's too cold and clinical for me, but on the whole I think U2 have used synths very well. The sort of stuff they did on Zooropa and Pop sounded pretty cool and Bad wouldn't be Bad for me without that crystalline intro.

Well that's because their music still focuses on vocals and real instruments regardless of which type of synthesizer use their employing (with the exception of some of the vocals on Pop).

I've never really liked the use of strings though in songs like OOTS or Window In The Sky, it sounds a bit overdone. .

Oh man, the strings are my favorite parts of those songs (except the lyrics). But then again, ELO is one of the few bands I like even better than U2.

I hate to be such a nitpicker but I have to reject the premise.
The 90's synths were just as atmospheric until POP.
One, Zooropa, Dirty Day, Zoo Station...the list goes on.
And 3 can apply to 1 and 2. Although, I'm honestly not trying to be disengenuous, I sort of get what you're saying.

But really there are only two categogries. Moods and melody.

It's been one of the more disappointing changes in the 21st century.
Note the end of OOTS. A great example of strings as melody rather than strings as mood.

WHAT THE FUCK is up with the horrible synth brass in Stuck. Almost ruins a brilliant song.

Yeah, I love Stuck. Suck it :D

I hate to be such a nitpicker but I have to reject the premise.
The 90's synths were just as atmospheric until POP.
One, Zooropa, Dirty Day, Zoo Station...the list goes on.
But really there are only two categogries. Moods and melody.

Maybe we're not meaning the same thing by "atmospheric". The synths in Unforgettable Fire paint a lush sonic landscape that sets it apart from their use in the other albums. That's what I mean.

In other songs, like Red Hill Mining Town, the synth pad simply serves as a flowing backdrop.

In Zoo Station, the synths are very "groovy".

synths are the reason i prefer studio Bad over live Bad

edit, that's not very clear. i mean i prefer the studio version because it's built on Edge's guitar, not the synths like the live version

synths are the reason i prefer studio Bad over live Bad

edit, that's not very clear. i mean i prefer the studio version because it's built on Edge's guitar, not the synths like the live version

:ohmy: the intro to the live version is so awesome though!

Honestly, I wouldn't have had it any other way though. I enjoy BOTH the studio and live versions, and I'm glad that the studio isn't like the live version and the live version isn't like the studio version. (I'm a Bad addict)

Depends on the song, but I think it suits the song in being simplistic and not too overbearing. Filing the gaps was a good way of putting it.

Eno's synths have helped the band and provided interesting textures. My fave u2 era at the moment is Joshua Tree / Unforgettable B-sides which is quite keyboardy / synthy. I love songs like Deep in the Heart, Walk to the Water, Luminous Times and both versions of Boomerang. So many interesting ideas going on. I even like Drunk Chicken......

Back
Top Bottom