Sweet Fire of Love/ Testimony question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gee40

The Fly
does anyone know if Sweet Fire of Love and Testimony were recorded during the Joshua Tree sessions .... just wondering ?

Yes they are both rather good, SFOL is very U2 or that era, Testimony a bit more R&H, with horns etal.

Great album btw, always felt like a companion album to TJT for me, almost the "same crew", that and Dan L's Acadie album...

This is the story as I remember, I may not be completely right:

They were recorded in Dublin at the begining of The Joshua Tree sessions. Lanois had been working on Robbie Robertson's album but it was taking longer than expected. Lanois was set to start working with U2 in Dublin and he invited Robbertson in order to give him a break from his own album. While he was there the two songs came together fairly quickly.

I recall an interview with Robertson who said he enjoyed working with U2, but had no idea that they were about to become the "biggest band on the planet". The way it was stated made it sound like Robertson might not have worked with U2 had they already been that popular. Perhaps Robertson kind of liked that "indie" aspect back then? :shrug: Regardless, those two songs, especially "Sweet Fire of Love", became well known (I think "Love" became the "hit" song from that album as well).

I recall an interview with Robertson who said he enjoyed working with U2, but had no idea that they were about to become the "biggest band on the planet". The way it was stated made it sound like Robertson might not have worked with U2 had they already been that popular. Perhaps Robertson kind of liked that "indie" aspect back then? :shrug: Regardless, those two songs, especially "Sweet Fire of Love", became well known (I think "Love" became the "hit" song from that album as well).

There were a lot of guest artists on that album, including Peter Gabriel, who was huge at the time.

The biggest song from that album was/is Somewhere Down The Crazy River. Showdown At Big Sky also still gets some radio airplay on classic rock stations. I've heard Testimony from time to time over the years too, but never Sweet Fire of Love. Also on that album, Broken Arrow was later covered and made huge by Rod Stewart.

these should have been on the Joshua Tree deluxe set. And "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)". That's really all they left off.

Back
Top Bottom