Suu Kyi walks on with U2's 'star-struck' Bono

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adenoid_hynkel

The Fly
OSLO, Norway (AP) — Aung San Suu Kyi and Bono joined forces Monday as the Myanmar democracy activist's European tour moved from the home of the Nobel Peace Prize to the land of U2.

The pair spent more than an hour answering questions at an Oslo conference of peace mediators at the end of Suu Kyi's four-day visit to Norway. Then they jetted together to the Irish capital, Dublin, for an evening concert in her honor.

Bono, who wrote the 2000 hit "Walk On" in praise of Suu Kyi's long exile from her family and dedicated U2's 2009 world tour to her, had never met her before. He admitted he found her a wee bit intimidating.

"I'm star-struck ... but I'm managing to get over it," said the 52-year-old Bono, who donned his trademark yellow-tinted wraparound glasses and high-heeled boots.

more: Suu Kyi walks on with U2's 'star-struck' Bono - Yahoo! News

Havent Bono and Sinead had a bust up in the past? but then again didnt she also provide backing vocals to Your Blue Room on 360 :|

The irony. LOL! Sinead's Twitter posts are an example of why she was asked to "shut up". :)

Sinead is known for being incredibly outspoken - and this one time, I guess the organizers wanted the focus not on Sinead but on Suu Kyi. Nothing wrong with that. But Sinead is Sinead and even a simple request turns into a big deal. The further irony is if the organizers hadn't said anything and Sinead made a "statement" of some sort, her defense would be that no one told her not to and that this was the perfect time TO make such a presentation.

Sinead and U2 (or Bono) have had riffs since the 80's. I recall an article about her bitching how Irish musicians had to go through U2 (heavily paraphrased, but that's what I got from her gripe). So I doubt this is anything big.

Well, if all that's true, I certainly don't blame her for griping about it.

At the same time, if all that's true, I certainly don't blame them for giving her those guidelines.

It would have been awesome if Bono actually told her "Shut your mouth when you're singing!"

EdgeFest is at the event in Dublin, and has tossed some tweets out into the ether. Don't think she'll mind me sharing some of the info:

One with a string section, dedicated to The Edge

Walk On, acoustic with Damien Rice on guitar

I Shall Be Released, and Get Up, Stand Up

Not sure who the other musicians there other than Rice; she mentioned a "full band" in one of her tweets.

Here's text of Bono's and Suu Kyi's speeches:

U2 > News > 'The World Has Become Your Home'

"Peace comes dropping slow" why that thiefster! so he nicked that line from Yeats for Levitate then did he?! :lol:

EdgeFest is at the event in Dublin, and has tossed some tweets out into the ether. Don't think she'll mind me sharing some of the info:

One with a string section, dedicated to The Edge

Walk On, acoustic with Damien Rice on guitar

I Shall Be Released, and Get Up, Stand Up

Not sure who the other musicians there other than Rice; she mentioned a "full band" in one of her tweets.

Here's text of Bono's and Suu Kyi's speeches:

U2 > News > 'The World Has Become Your Home'

Thanks for the updates :up:

That's a truly beautiful speech by Bono. Hopefully there will be some video of the event.

Is this being filmed at all?

Not sure. EdgeFest said she could only tweet when she stepped outside at intermission (if I understood the posts correctly), and that cell signals might have been blocked?

But I think I did see a picture someone else tweeted of Bono onstage.

i wonder if Damien Rice did "Unplayed Piano", the song he wrote for Aung San Suu Kyi? that's a beautiful song...

Back
Top Bottom