Support acts for the upcoming tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interpol WAS a great band. Turn on the Bright Lights is one of the defining albums of the 2000s. Antics is great too. U2 was right to give them a chance, only it was 5 years too late.

This occurred to me about M83 altho their music is more epic than Interpol's....but my fear is that if they don't have another album up their sleeve, they might be in a similar predicament with audiences.

I wouldn't wish supporting U2 on a band that I like.

So let's have some mediocre shite like Bastille or Imagine Dragons. They can enjoy playing to disinterested stadiums who just want them to piss off, and receive all the bile of fan forums.

Interpol was by far the most boring opening act I have ever seen. It was like one continuous lullaby played for an hour. The fact that people started taking pictures of me when I was asleep in the pit shows how interesting they were as a band. Virtually no stage presence, no crowd interaction.

The National would be awesome. Not sure if the typical U2 concert audience would embrace them, but I'd be thrilled.

I'd also love to see The Boxer Rebellion, Civil Twilight or Churchill.

U2 should open up for themselves.

Don't make a big deal out of it. Just come out without the special effects, lightings, lasers, etc. and play a rotating set of rarities and B-sides. Maybe an entire early record start to finish. Mix it up. The hard core fans who really want to hear those songs will already be in the audience paying attention, and those filtering in will have reason to actually sit down and listen.

Take a break, change clothes, get Willie to work, then come back and play their normal, hit-powered, special effects effects enhanced set.

This format would work particularly well in arenas. It breathes new life into the show and would get them lots of love from the press. Word of mouth will spread quickly on what they're doing and generate a lot of social media attention. People will Tweet about what they're playing to "open" the show from night to night. Everyone's happy...the casuals and hard core fans both get what they want. Their catalogue is certainly deep enough to do all this.

And all U2 has to do is be on stage for what will still be a shorter time than the average Springsteen (who's considerably younger than all of them) show.

I like that U2 uses their prestige to give some exposure to younger acts. They don't always pick the best possible choices, but they don't usually stoop down to the level of Bastille or Imagine Dragons so no worries there.

And yeah cobbler, despite the amount of press they get in the blogosphere The National are not even remotely too big to say yes to U2. The same still goes for Arcade Fire. Hell, Muse had broken through here quite a bit years before 360 and they said yes.

And yeah cobbler, despite the amount of press they get in the blogosphere The National are not even remotely too big to say yes to U2. The same still goes for Arcade Fire. Hell, Muse had broken through here quite a bit years before 360 and they said yes.

Muse opened for U2 when they were playing stadiums. I'm not sure that they would have done it had U2 been playing arenas, because they can sell out arenas by themselves.

Muse opened for U2 when they were playing stadiums. I'm not sure that they would have done it had U2 been playing arenas, because they can sell out arenas by themselves.

Weren't they also already selling out stadiums in some markets? Do you think they would have said "no" to opening for U2 at stadiums even if they already were? I could be way off here but I got the impression from watching them cover Streets that they are huge U2 fans. That wasn't just a cover that was a love-in. I think they'd still do it, on that basis alone. Maybe not other acts who can already sell out arenas, sure, and as for The National I don't really know whether they are yet selling out arenas everywhere on their own or not...but Muse? I think they would have still said yes.

They don't always pick the best possible choices, but they don't usually stoop down to the level of Bastille or Imagine Dragons so no worries there..

May I remind you that they had The Fray as an opening act for some 360 shows?

Weren't they also already selling out stadiums in some markets? Do you think they would have said "no" to opening for U2 at stadiums even if they already were? I could be way off here but I got the impression from watching them cover Streets that they are huge U2 fans. That wasn't just a cover that was a love-in. I think they'd still do it, on that basis alone. Maybe not other acts who can already sell out arenas, sure, and as for The National I don't really know whether they are yet selling out arenas everywhere on their own or not...but Muse? I think they would have still said yes.

Yea, that's why Muse was support in North and South America. In Europe they sell out stadiums on their own. :)
They were fanboying over Edge bigtime at that show. :lol:

Don't think I've ever heard of The National before. What kinda band is it?

May I remind you that they had The Fray as an opening act for some 360 shows?

Meh, at least The Fray are earnest about what they write, lame as the results may be. Bastille tries way too hard to "say something" with their vapid music, and Imagine Dragons are the latest worst offender of the "lyrics don't mean anything to our audience" radio act, seriously, it's like they come up with a hook and then fill in a strophic verse over and over by playing madlibs, those lyrics are completely meaningless.

They aren't exactly "arena" music, then again the last time I saw them was 2007 in a tiny club.
They aren't but they're already playing in them so I think they'd do a pretty good job. Stadiums would be horrible but that goes for practically every band.

As for Interpol, I liked them a lot as opening band. I am a big fan which helps. And if you expect them to have lots of stage presence you're always going to be disappointed. Not every band has someone like Bono. Sometimes the lead singer has to actualy play guitar you know.

The National are playing our third biggest venue here in Melbourne tonight. A marginal step down from an arena. They did the Sydney Opera House the other night.

:hmm: That first song sounds very Depeche Mode ish, I like it!

:up: keep listening, they are probably my favourite band going round at the moment.

This kind:

They aren't exactly "arena" music, then again the last time I saw them was 2007 in a tiny club.

They played at Barclays Center in Brooklyn this summer, but that's just one arena.

And the Graceless video is amazing.

Back
Top Bottom