Super Bowl Halftime Performance: U2 vs. Bruce?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paultjr

The Fly
Wow. I never thought I'd see a halftime performance better than U2's in 2002, but The Boss/E-Street Band really were awesome tonight. Maybe not as emotional as U2's in 2002, but energy-wise, I thought it was quite amazing.

Thoughts? By the way, I'm a casual Bruce fan and hardcore U2 fan...

shit, i was in a bar drinking and i barely heard the halftime show.

but, yeah, im sure U2 was better. :lol:

I love both. And to be honest, even though Bono's voice was completely shot- U2's performance was better. Bruce's wasn't bad- but his singing was really bad today. He was just yelling words not even close to the melody.

And the audience and energy wasn't that good for Bruce. U2's performance was momentous. Bruce's was fun. It matter what you like more.

...But Bruce slamming his crotch into a camera and using the mic stand to outperform Prince for the phallic rock pose were both really damn funny!

my prediction:

a wave of people claiming u2 are perfect and can do no wrong.

let's find out.

Probably! I'm not saying Bruce was miles ahead of U2, just was really into it. And that's right after that horrendous play to end the 1st half, so I needed a pick-me-up. (Cards fan, yeah, I'm still hurting...).

And to be honest, even though Bono's voice was completely shot- U2's performance was better. Bruce's wasn't bad- but his singing was really bad today. He was just yelling words not even close to the melody.

I dont really follow Bruce or know what his live performances are like, but I was thinking to myself, that his voice sounded pretty bad. I thought Glory Days sounded good but the rest was just eh. Not sure if that's just how he usually sounds lol.

As great as Bruce's kick-ass rock and roll party halftime show was, it would be nearly impossible for anyone to top that moment in the U2 halftime show where they did that bit of MLK. I wasn't expecting it at all, and it was so touching.

Then again, it doesn't seem fair to compare. If Bruce had been the one performing a few months after 9/11, I'm sure it would have been just as emotional.

As great as Bruce's kick-ass rock and roll party halftime show was, it would be nearly impossible for anyone to top that moment in the U2 halftime show where they did that bit of MLK. I wasn't expecting it at all, and it was so touching.

Then again, it doesn't seem fair to compare. If Bruce had been the one performing a few months after 9/11, I'm sure it would have been just as emotional.

Good point - maybe I need to watch the U2 performance again as it's been a few years. At the same time, I wasn't expecting much from Bruce, maybe that's why I was so into it.

That U2 MLK performance was extremely moving though...

I had no opinion on Bruce's voice. My friend and I were too busy singing along loudly and dancing around to notice how we sounded. I just know I thoroughly enjoyed it. Good times.

When I saw what Bruce was doing with the mic stand, my first thought was, "WFT? Is he going to do a pole dance?" :lol:

I was waiting for the screen to go black as some censor pushed the delay button :lol:. I think Bruce can't get over his happiness over Obama winning the election. It really shows.

I don't think it was better than U2, but as was watching it I was saying wow, he's really giving U2 a run for their money.

Bruce was definitely entertaining. Loved the slide :lol:
I may have to check YouTube to see U2's performance from 2002.

ETA: Just watched it - it's been so long since I've seen it

:drool:

steelers.png

Ha, that's funny. We all saw that referee throw that pass that swung fourteen points at halftime, didn't we?

Don't even bother.

Dan, I took a lot of photos, and, the place where I had to go to pick up my parking pass might be of interest to you. I'll post tomorrow night when I get back, or maybe Tuesday.

Also:

steelers.png

I prefer U2. Besides "It's Boss time!" and Clarence's part, I just wasn't that impressed. Bruce's voice was more off than Bono's was, which is saying something.

It's hard to compare, though; the timing of U2's performance will probably make it a permanent all-time great.

And I love Bruce, but I'm more of an introspective/folksy Bruce fan than an energized/rock Bruce fan. So it was sort of disappointing to me that he stuck to the rock warhorses.

Oh well...

NLOTH:drool:

Okay- After thinking about it-
The best halftime shows

1. Tom Petty
2. U2 (would be #1 if Bono's voicebox didn't explode before going on stage)
3. Paul McCartney
4. Bruce
5. 'Stones

none of the others were really any good if I remember. I still get headaches when I think of Aerosmith, N'Sync, Janet Jackson, and Michael Jackson- all lip syncing. Bleh.

I thought Petty lip-synced (sank?) as well :scratch:
I don't think there's any way that Petty's performance was better than U2's, even with Bono's voice not at 100%. But that's just me.

I don't think there's any way that Petty's performance was better than U2's, even with Bono's voice not at 100%. But that's just me.

On 'Free Falling' someone turned up a backing track on the chorus. He usually doesn't do that in concert, I think whoever mixed it thought it would be a good idea. :doh:

I heard that most of the performances in the past were pre-recorded music with live vocals. In Petty's case, Mike Campbell's guitar was live too. Not sure if U2's music was live - I'm sure someone can clarify on here??

Bruce and the E-Street were all live though I believe.

I didnt like Springsteens performance at all...his vocals have gotton worse live over the years and they were especially bad tonight. Glory Days was OK the rest was pretty rotton.

He had good energy and the crowd seemed into it but id have to go with U2 on this one.

You can't compare really:wink: U2 are U2, in their own style, in their own posing, in their own all of sound. Bruce is, on nights like this, in his rock thing – giving it all, showing also physically everything he can (at the mic stand, on his knees, the windmill guitar, recapturing the BTR cover with Clarence back to back). He wanted to rock the house & the homes. He played four tunes, that did so, including a gospel choir (still part of his band since the inauguration:wink:) – and with "10th Avenue Freeze-Out" he played even a tune, thats not part of 'Greatest Hits', but of an album, that might be the greatest album in rock history, so :applaud::applaud::applaud:

Even though Bruce's voice was shot after 10th Avenue Freezeout, I still think he put on a great show. Of all the Halftime acts, I would rank him second behind U2. I loved how he slid into the cameraman. That was insane!

Bruce's halftime performance was pretty good (at least, what I could hear of it over the computer behind us that the niece was messing with) but yeah, his voice sounded pretty bad. I did enjoy it but not as much as previous half time shows, in the recent history of the Superbowl. Most notably Prince and Tom Petty - I still can't decide which one I like better.

As for U2's, well, as not-so-great as Bono's voice was, I have to admit I really did love that performance. It being back in my previous obsessive days. :happy:
To answer the question, I think I liked U2's better, but theirs also is not my favourite half time. I'll just say I've mentioned the one I like more above. ;)

U2's for me, even though Bono's voice was so bad at that time, but it was more emotional. Bruce was also great, I just watched it, but his voice seemed a little shakey. Great atmosphere, nevertheless. :up:

Back
Top Bottom