SUCs of other bands?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Consensus would say that Rococo is their SUC. I don't think they have any songs that bad. I get the pretentious argument but even at Win's worst the music is still good.

I was going to say Rococo but didn't really think it was worth shitting on versus other bands' bad songs.

Rococo, Normal Person and Windowsill are probably my least favorite Arcade Fire songs, but none of them are total clusterfucks like SUC. They just take a bad idea and wear them out.

That one is pretty bad too.

Reflektor could have easily been 8-9 songs and improved as a result.

I quite like Roccoco, while accepting it's not the best thing ever. I quite like Joan of Arc, while accepting it's not the best thing ever. Honestly, Arcade Fire's problem is being not the best thing ever, rather than actively sucking. For the most part.

The lyrics are corny and the music sounds like something a low rent bar band would cook up. In that sense, maybe it is their closest song to SUC.

Then, a half hour later, we get one of their very best songs in It's Never Over. Fuck, I love that one. Reflektor is so weird.

Am I the only one who really likes Reflektor? It's not as good as The Suburbs or Neon Bible, but they were both such amazing albums that that's okay. I find a lot to enjoy on Reflektor, including most songs that are commonly disparaged.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I think it has its moments but is a terrible mess. It's Never Over or Afterlife are for me among their very best, while much of the first 'side' (if you can call it that) is among their very worst.

The first half is, to their standards, awful. Like how did the band behind Tunnels, Power Out, Wake Up, Rebellion, etc. let most of those songs get past the cutting room floor? The title track and We Exist are the only great tracks in the bunch.

Thankfully the second half is virtually flawless, marred only by the ridiculously indulgent ending of Supersymmetry. It's Never Over and Awful Sound are out of this world.

Yeah, so in a way it's sort of two albums, one of which Win should be taken out the back and hit up with the phone book for.

Last edited:
I remember some of those conversations when the album first came out. I got the impression that some people took umbrage at the lyrics because they were the ones Win was singing about.

Echo and The Bunnymen have made some great records. I love their music.

Ian once said 'Ocean Rain' was the best album ever made. Another that comes from a long line of travelling salesman (with big claims)?

That said, 'Ocean Rain' is quite good. In Larry Mullen Jr's only feature article in Modern Drummer (August 1985), Larry mentioned EATB and Pete De Freitas' use of brushes on the album as a influence on his brush use on 'Promenade'.

Adam Clayton said that his revolving bass part on 'Vertigo' was inspired by Les Pattinson (former EATB bassist)

So yes, even though Ian McCulloch slags of U2 often. U2 like and respect EATB.

All of that said:

'Crown of Thorns' by: Echo And The Bunnymen... might have the worst lyrics of any song EVER. And again, I am a Bunnymen fan.

The read bad enough. But when you hear them sang... Not much better. In fact, possibly worse!

Link Below to 'CROWN OF THORNS':
https://youtu.be/DSs9FCoFJec

"Thorn Of Crowns"

Ah ah, ah ah
Ah ah, ah ah

You set my teeth on edge
You set my teeth on edge
You think you're a vegetable
Never come out of the fridge

C-c-c-cucumber
C-c-c-cabbage
C-c-c-cauliflower
Men on Mars
April showers
Oh oh, oh oh

You are a dying breed
You are a dying breed
You once was an Inca
Now you're a Cherokee

C-c-c-cucumber
C-c-c-cabbage
C-c-c-cauliflower
Men on Mars
April showers

(You kick it, kick it)
(Ow uh, ow uh)
(Ow uh, ow uh, ow uh)

Wait for me on the blue horizon
Blue horizon for everyone
Wait for me on a new horizon
New horizons for everyone

I want to be one times one with you
Oh oh
I want to be one times one with you
Oh oh
Ah ah, ahh
Ah ah, ahh

I've decided to wear my thorn of crowns
Inside out
Back to front
Upside down
All the way round
Round, round rounnd

Upside down
Inside out
Back to front
All the way round, down
Down, down, down, down
Down, down, down, down, down

Damn you. You forced me to go and listen to the song. The youtube comments were actually mostly positive. I've heard worse songs.

Back
Top Bottom