Streets into I Will Follow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2387

Refugee
Mods, forgive me if this is in the wrong place. We are obviously news starved, so I am desperately looking for something to talk about.

I don't know why, but I have recently wound up back in a Joshua Tree and Lovetown phase for the first time since Spring 2008.

Listening to alot of bootlegs from that time period now. One thing really stands out to me.

The opening 1-2 punch of Streets and I Will Follow had so much energy. It was awesome. So much so that it was the only opening sequence that ever spanned 2 tours.

I can't explain it-maybe it was just the crowds were so incredibly pumped up and loud as U2 were taking the top of the world and that made it sound better, etc. The end of Streets producing that familiar roar that does not seem like it could possibly get any louder, only it does by a good amount when Edge immediately breaks into the opening riff of I Will Follow. I never get tired of listening to this. These are obviously 2 of U2's best live songs, but played back to back, they are killer.

It is my opinion that this 1-2 punch only worked well due to the way Bono used to sing Streets in that deep voice. The way he has sang it since Zoo TV(which is still great to me, just different) does not seem to fold well into IWF when you think about it.

Any thoughts? Anyone see this live? Was it more energy than Zoo Station into The Fly or MOFO into IWF?

And just as an aside, if you go over to U2start, their bootleg of the month is 5/3/87 JT Worcester, MA. Awesome show, I think it is very underrated as far as JT boots go. Crowd was out of this world, band was on fire, great extended versions of Exit and Bad, etc. People focus on the 3rd leg, but this has a very unique to the 1st leg Running To Stand Still, A Sort of Homecoming, Sunday Bloody Sunday sequence which is spectacular. Love how all 3 relate to Ireland in some way. (ASOH, unlike some other shambolic JT performances, was performed quite well here). Highly recommended!

I think I Will Follow just works well as a 2nd song. I think it worked well following Mofo on Popmart also. :shrug: Then again, I think City into Vertigo worked just as well on Vertigo.

My only setlist complaint with opening songs for U2 really is the current tour. I do not care for Breathe as an opener. Its not awful, its just mediocre. Most other tours their opening sequences have been on the money for the most part for me.

I think I Will Follow just works well as a 2nd song. I think it worked well following Mofo on Popmart also. :shrug: Then again, I think City into Vertigo worked just as well on Vertigo.

My only setlist complaint with opening songs for U2 really is the current tour. I do not care for Breathe as an opener. Its not awful, its just mediocre. Most other tours their opening sequences have been on the money for the most part for me.

Very true!

I think the idea of opening with a bunch of new songs was great when U2 were really trying to reinvent themselves and send a message, like they were on Zoo TV. They seem to view NLOTH as that kind of album, but I just don't buy it. They haven't changed their image at all, etc.

Breathe is a great song, just not as the opener.

I was one of the lucky ones who saw the Magnificent opening in Boston! Thought that worked extremely well.

I think it should go somethig like this:

Magnificent
I Will Follow
A Sort of Homecoming
Still Haven't Found
Wire
No Line On The Horizon
GOYB
Beautiful Day
and the list goes on to be picked up when I have more energy!

You get the idea. 1-8 should still contain 3 new songs as U2 will never accept coming out of the gate as a dinosaur act.

That being said, Magnificent sounds spectacular with some of the early rockers like IWF and Gloria, as well as with anthems like ASOH.

agreed on Breathe. it's a good song, it's just not an opening song. i don't really understand why the band decided on it as the opener.

Back
Top Bottom