Straight Talking Noel Gallagher (a.k.a. God) has a few jabs at Brian Eno!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MadForIt

Refugee
Well more so at Coldplay rather than U2 but as always he is funny and correct!

Noel Gallagher on how Oasis got their groove back - Times Online

That whole thing of bringing in Brian Eno,” he says, without naming names, but clearly thinking of U2 and Coldplay, “or hitching a ride to a good cause — it was people stopping being able to just feel, and starting to think. Which is brilliant if your music is directed at the small percentage of people that listens to music and likes to have a good think about it. Ultimately, though, what’s great about great music is that you don’t have to think about it. It just hits you, wham, and that’s it. You don’t have to go, ‘Yeah, well, you know Brian Eno, he made them all do their horoscopes before going in the studio.’ (Coldplay, again) Who gives a f***? What’s coming out of the speakers? That’s all I’m interested in.”

He’s on a roll now. “If it doesn’t hit you in the face, doesn’t speak of love, hate, friendship, sorrow, life and death, it doesn’t mean anything to me. The afterthought of any music should be, ‘Oh, wow.’ That’s the payoff. It’s like the Sex Pistols, the songs are so instant, but then you listen to the lyrics of Anarchy in the UK and you go, ‘F***ing hell, that guy was frightening.’ Even now, you listen to the Pistols and think, ‘He was 17 when he wrote that.’ Seventeen! What are 17-year-olds writing about now? Going to a chip shop and a bird’s just split up with him. So what? Get over it.”

Make sure you read the whole interview as its always great to see what Sir Noel thinks

hmm... I dont see how what Noel is saying means anything at all with U2's music. The music is great, Brian Eno is great- he has his own methods for sparking creativity with bands. thats it. If you like the music you are hearing out of your speakers you have to give a little credit to Eno for helping to inspire and put in good imput to both U2 and coldplay. I dont see how what he is saying holds any weight at all?

perhaps Noel should write columns
so that I can not read his work instead of not listening to it

:hmm:

Noel Gallagher is about as relevant nowadays as The Verve's new album.

The fact that he has to take potshots at a band that is about as exciting as cream of wheat is pretty good evidence of that.

:doh:

But he's God! And it's Sir Noel to you.

:angry:

I guess we have Oasis fans on here?, (I would take Radiohead over them anyday)
Noel kind of strikes me as a jerk, but I dont know...maybe he just speaks his mind without a filter?

by the way, my friend is now going to take over the keyboard:

GO HABS GO!!!! (thank god Kovy was not traded!!! 27!!!)

Funny. I think Larry said something along those lines in the HTDAAB promo days.

That calculated music that sold well didn't matter, only music that hit people's feelings etc.

Silly me. I always thought music was capable of making you feel and making you think at the same time.

Also, Brian Eno > than Noel Gallager (times infinity).

I guess we have Oasis fans on here?, (I would take Radiohead over them anyday)
Noel kind of strikes me as a jerk, but I dont know...maybe he just speaks his mind without a filter?

by the way, my friend is now going to take over the keyboard:

GO HABS GO!!!! (thank god Kovy was not traded!!! 27!!!)

I'm an Oasis fan, yes, but my above comment was sarcastic.

:wink:

And Kovy is not the problem, nor is he the solution. The problem is that the team as a whole simply don't have the horses right now. :sad:

But that's a discussion for the NHL thread. :)

So in a nutshell, he was trying to say that if you like what you're listening to, that's all that matters?

I thought that was what listening to music was all about myself...

Noel Gallagher is about as relevant nowadays as The Verve's new album.

The fact that he has to take potshots at a band that is about as exciting as cream of wheat is pretty good evidence of that.

:doh:

exactly.

Also Brian Eno is much closer to being a god than Noel Gallagher. Then again, so is a can of Mountain Dew.

and who's to say you can't make music that both makes you think and feel? :huh:

Further proof that Gallagher and company are still children, and will never make music better than background filler for sporting events and hooligans to crash their beer glasses together.

The fact that he positively mentioned the Sex Pistols, a bunch of overrated, untalented fools who were nothing more than a rude hype machine, pretty much says it all.

Too bad he wasn't pushed off the stage at a rooftop concert instead.

Though he doesn't specify in the interview, it seems the "bringing in Eno" line was probably more directed at Coldplay than U2.

Coldplay truly "brought Eno in" (someone they hadn't worked with before) in an effort to achieve something great after hitting the wall with X&Y (an only partially successful effort, I think. Frankly, I thought much of X&Y was better than a lot of Viva la Vida).

U2, on the other hand, has a longstanding relationship with Eno (and Lanois) going back 25 years now (and don't forget almost 30 years working with Lillywhite). It's not as if they just "brought Eno in" on a lark hoping this great genius/musical mastermind he would help them think up something great.

I think that's why Coldplay's effort was only partially successful. They saw Eno as a sort of Wizard of Oz, who would hide behind a curtain directing the show and make them great while letting them get the credit, and thought that he was all they needed to achieve their Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby. But in the end, if the songs aren't there, there's only so much even Eno can do with them. Eno said recently in an interview that he's learned more from U2 than any other band or artist he's ever worked with, thus highlighting the reciprocal and balanced nature of their creative relationship. I doubt he could say he learned anything from Coldplay (and I don't mean that as a knock on them - I like some Coldplay stuff, but they are nowhere near U2 or Radiohead, to mention only current bands at peak form that they don't live up to. I'd rank Coldplay well below the best of The Cure, REM, and Smashing Pumpkins too).

Understandably, though, Noel needs to try to get some attention, having been starved of artistic or commerical success for over a decade. The first two Oasis albums were brilliant; everything since has been shite.

i would go out of my way to buy whatever newspaper could get Noel Gallagher to write a regular column

Don't take it too seriously, folks. Noel Gallagher's known for making 'controversial' tongue-in-cheek comments all the time, it's just his way. He's a really funny guy, and is actually the genius behind Oasis. I'd take him over Liam any day.

Besides, Oasis and U2 are all mates, and laughing all the way to the bank. Any snide remarks against U2 are just jokes, Liam & Bono probably kiss and make up like when they snogged back in the day.

I don't really have anything against Oasis -- I've heard almost all their songs, and I've seen them in concert in London. They make a great sound. But since Noel insists on shooting people down and bigging himself up continously (like, don't all those millions of pounds satisfy his ego?), he himself then has to be judged -- he invites it.

And there is a fundamental irony in what he says: He loves The Beatles, The Stones, The Sex Pistols, The Jam, The Smiths, and The Stone Roses. And yes, those are all great bands. But all of those bands were pioneers, who did something new and different, which is exactly why they made such a difference. Oasis, by contrast, is more right-wing and conservative than the Tories. Noel himself says that they have no interest in doing anything new or sounding different from... the way they've sounded on every record they've ever made.

The reason that The Sex Pistols, who made only one album, are so overrated and fondly remembered, and that Oasis are so detested by a majority and over-loved by a minority (and get booed at the NME Awards) is as follows: Steve Jones and Paul Cook didn't sit back and think, "Hmm, how can we sound just like the Stones and The Beatles?" The Stone Roses didn't think, "You know, we loved the Sex Pistols, so let's impersonate them!" But Oasis DID sit down and say, "Let's impersonate The Beatles and the Stones and T.Rex, and then we'll do it for 30 years while dissing other artists!"

Fact: Important artists open new parameters by doing things that nobody did before. The level of importance Oasis will go down in history with is no more or less than the importance of The Bay City Rollers and Wham! -- it's entirely based on sales and temporary popularity. That's fine, but Noel needs to realize this and stop deluding himself into thinking that he's on par with the greats before him.

I think Noel makes a strong allusion at the end there to KNIFE CRIME, what with the 17-year olds and all. That's all they do anymore: stab people. Noel is scared.

Noel is not on par with the greats before him - he is above all of them

Having listened to every oasis tune, i dont think its fair to say they are all the same/beatles rip offs

Also - if it aint broke, why fix it - Oasis wipe the floor with every band going right now - including u2

And philyfan - you were correct
Noel Gallagher speaks about knife crime | News | NME.COM

The reason why they were booed by the twats from franz ferdinand is because they know that compared to oasis they are nothing. People hate oasis as they thought they were finished, but still they can sell a million tickets in the uk in no time. As the interview says - oasis had a blip from SOTSOG to HC, but they came back with 2 belters. And anyway, fans vote for the NME awards and Oasis.

Franz, Kaisers, Bloc Party - all that shite will not be remembered as they are meaningless indie shit
Just like Blur

Blur was ten times the band Oasis will ever be. Blur actually, you know, changed it up. Oasis sticks by the same, boring formula.

Yea Think Tank was an awful album - they should not have bothered

Every blur song sounds like its a joke - like damon albarn is putting on that shitty voice of his, like some sort of comedy act - especially on For Tomorrow

Fair enough albarn chinese opera was good - but the good the bad and the queen were also shit

Franz, Kaisers, Bloc Party - all that shite will not be remembered as they are meaningless indie shit
Just like Blur

Franz.... indie? :lmao:

Bloc Party.....indie? :lmao:

Blur.............indie? :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

You're great, please keep posting.
:applaud:

Well more so at Coldplay rather than U2 but as always he is funny and correct!

Noel Gallagher on how Oasis got their groove back - Times Online

That whole thing of bringing in Brian Eno,” he says, without naming names, but clearly thinking of U2 and Coldplay, “or hitching a ride to a good cause — it was people stopping being able to just feel, and starting to think. Which is brilliant if your music is directed at the small percentage of people that listens to music and likes to have a good think about it. Ultimately, though, what’s great about great music is that you don’t have to think about it. It just hits you, wham, and that’s it. You don’t have to go, ‘Yeah, well, you know Brian Eno, he made them all do their horoscopes before going in the studio.’ (Coldplay, again) Who gives a f***? What’s coming out of the speakers? That’s all I’m interested in.”

He’s on a roll now. “If it doesn’t hit you in the face, doesn’t speak of love, hate, friendship, sorrow, life and death, it doesn’t mean anything to me. The afterthought of any music should be, ‘Oh, wow.’ That’s the payoff. It’s like the Sex Pistols, the songs are so instant, but then you listen to the lyrics of Anarchy in the UK and you go, ‘F***ing hell, that guy was frightening.’ Even now, you listen to the Pistols and think, ‘He was 17 when he wrote that.’ Seventeen! What are 17-year-olds writing about now? Going to a chip shop and a bird’s just split up with him. So what? Get over it.”

Make sure you read the whole interview as its always great to see what Sir Noel thinks
I think such notions kill great music. If he actually thought about it, he'd realize our receptivity to certain art forms is dependent on our cultural environment. "With or Without You" wouldn't have been nearly as well-received in the 1950s as it was in 1987.

If you eliminate patience, you don't have growth in musical styles, including stuff like The Smiths, which Noel loves so much.

Though he doesn't specify in the interview, it seems the "bringing in Eno" line was probably more directed at Coldplay than U2.

Coldplay truly "brought Eno in" (someone they hadn't worked with before) in an effort to achieve something great after hitting the wall with X&Y (an only partially successful effort, I think. Frankly, I thought much of X&Y was better than a lot of Viva la Vida).

U2, on the other hand, has a longstanding relationship with Eno (and Lanois) going back 25 years now (and don't forget almost 30 years working with Lillywhite). It's not as if they just "brought Eno in" on a lark hoping this great genius/musical mastermind he would help them think up something great.

I think that's why Coldplay's effort was only partially successful. They saw Eno as a sort of Wizard of Oz, who would hide behind a curtain directing the show and make them great while letting them get the credit, and thought that he was all they needed to achieve their Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby. But in the end, if the songs aren't there, there's only so much even Eno can do with them. Eno said recently in an interview that he's learned more from U2 than any other band or artist he's ever worked with, thus highlighting the reciprocal and balanced nature of their creative relationship. I doubt he could say he learned anything from Coldplay (and I don't mean that as a knock on them - I like some Coldplay stuff, but they are nowhere near U2 or Radiohead, to mention only current bands at peak form that they don't live up to. I'd rank Coldplay well below the best of The Cure, REM, and Smashing Pumpkins too).
Yeah, another Cure fan! Great to hear, my brother!

However, U2 did want Eno brought in for UF -- perhaps not nearly with the same calculation that Coldplay did -- but they did look to him to expand their horizons, and there was nothing wrong with that. I fear Bono has become more like Noel this decade. Very tragic.

Back
Top Bottom