States in the United States U2 has never played.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bono2017

Acrobat
Here are the states I believe U2 has never played in the United States:

Maine
New Hampshire
Vermont
Delaware
West Virginia
Arkansas
South Dakota
North Dakota
Wyoming
Montana
Idaho
Alaska

Perhaps they might finally get to them on the Experience And Innocence Tour which probably won't start until early 2019. U2 could play an arena show in each of these states. The only concern is that some of the arenas might be smaller than the average and U2 might have to bring a modified stage so it could fit.

Imagine what its like being a U2 fan in Billings Montana, or even worse, Alaska. You either never get to see the band or have to arrange a bit of travel an days away in order to make it happen.

Imagine being a native on a Pacific island in the middle of nowhere. The colonialists left a satellite dish on your island, but abandoned operations, and you get fuzzy MTV signals and saw glorious Bono in sepia tones walking down what looked like the shiniest city in the world, and they NEVER play your village. You would have to dry or smoke 30 fish and set off by canoe for 47 days in ocean conditions just to get to a show.

Imagine being a native on a Pacific island in the middle of nowhere. The colonialists left a satellite dish on your island, but abandoned operations, and you get fuzzy MTV signals and saw glorious Bono in sepia tones walking down what looked like the shiniest city in the world, and they NEVER play your village. You would have to dry or smoke 30 fish and set off by canoe for 47 days in ocean conditions just to get to a show.

:huh:

My way of saying…I am not super worried about Montana and Alaska. With the choice to live there comes the knowledge you are not in concert row.

There are plenty of people who can’t just jet down a state from their purposely isolated area to see them on the relative regular. New Hampshire has it OK in this respect.

Here are the states I believe U2 has never played in the United States:

Maine
New Hampshire
Vermont
Delaware
West Virginia
Arkansas
South Dakota
North Dakota
Wyoming
Montana
Idaho
Alaska

Perhaps they might finally get to them on the Experience And Innocence Tour which probably won't start until early 2019. U2 could play an arena show in each of these states. The only concern is that some of the arenas might be smaller than the average and U2 might have to bring a modified stage so it could fit.

Imagine what its like being a U2 fan in Billings Montana, or even worse, Alaska. You either never get to see the band or have to arrange a bit of travel an days away in order to make it happen.

I think those areas come with the territory/understanding of your gonna have to travel to seek some kind of entertainment. Most of those areas don't have big acts coming thru them or professional sports team (venues to host big names)

I live in San Antonio TX and I have to travel to see U2. 2-4 hrs one way when they hit Texas.

Maine
New Hampshire
Vermont
Delaware
West Virginia
(Boston, NY, Phili, DC)

Arkansas
(ATL, Tenn, Kentucky, FL)

South Dakota
North Dakota
(Minn, Kansas, IL, still pretty remote)

Wyoming
Montana
Idaho
(CO, Wash)

Alaska..........Good luck

I also don't believe Mississippi has had a show. Unless you count the riverboat show they did in 1982 that left from New Orleans and made its way up and down the Mississippi River, straddling both states.

http://www.u2gigs.com/show66.html

North Dakota will never have a U2 show. Though Fargo puts in a good effort at entertainment, North Dakotans understand they have to travel to MN for music, pro sports, art, theater, etc. I say this as a former NoDakian.

Now when U2 starts showing up on the state fair circuit, we should all be worried.

They only played once in KS...back in '83. If you are like me and live in Overland Park, KS it's simple enough to drive a few miles to get to the rare Kansas City, Missouri gig. But if you live in Salina or Hutchinson or something...well, you have to travel.

Last edited:
How about provinces and territories of Canada in which U2 have never played:

Newfoundland
Northwest Territories
Nova Scotia
Nunavut
Prince Edward Island
Saskatchewan
Yukon

That's a majority: 7 out of 13 haven't been played (all 3 territories, 4 out of 10 provinces). Of the five provinces/territories starting with N, the only one in which U2 have played - at once at that - is New Brunswick.

Of course, none of these are any particular surprise.

As for Australia, those omitted are:

Australian Capital Territory
Northern Territory
Tasmania

It's perhaps a surprise they didn't do the ACT or Tasmania on Lovetown. Canberra has the facilities, and the flexibility of the Lovetown setup means they could have played York Park in Launceston - especially with Van Diemen's Land on the then current album!

I also don't believe Mississippi has had a show. Unless you count the riverboat show they did in 1982 that left from New Orleans and made its way up and down the Mississippi River, straddling both states.

U2 New Orleans, 1982-02-11, SS President Riverboat, October Tour - U2 on tour

Thanks for the corrections about New Hampshire and Mississippi. I thought for sure U2 had played Mississippi at some point, a show in Biloxi Mississippi but I guess not.

Metallica played every state in the Union on their tour legs for the Black album released in 1991.

You have to do 100 shows just to perform once in every single U.S. state and every single
sovereign European country. That would be an interesting U2 tour, but not easy on the band and crew.

I'm surprised they never played a proper show in Little Rock. No good venues there?

I'm surprised they never played a proper show in Little Rock. No good venues there?

Little Rock has the Verizon Arena which is an 18,000 seat multi-purpose arena.
Little Rock also has the Barton Coliseum which is a 7,150 seat multi-purpose arena.
When it comes to Stadiums there is War Memorial Stadium which has a capacity of 54,120.

Next: Provinces of New Zealand.

...damn, you got me.

Only Auckland, Wellington, and Canterbury have had gigs. Won't somebody please think of the poor fans in the former provinces of Taranaki, Hawke's Bay, Nelson, Marlborough, Westland, Otago, and Southland? (It's genuinely surprising the UF Tour did not have a date in Dunedin, since most international bands were still doing the four traditional main centres back then.)

I spend WAY more time on that site than I probably should haha. Thanks for the work you've put into it. I especially love reading about the early shows, and people's stories that make each little club show a unique experience.

:up:

And trust me, however much time you've spent on there, I've wasted even more of my life on it. :wink:

They've yet to play Antarctica. Won't somebody think of penguin U2 fans?

Dare I say, Metallica did it.

...damn, you got me.

Only Auckland, Wellington, and Canterbury have had gigs. Won't somebody please think of the poor fans in the former provinces of Taranaki, Hawke's Bay, Nelson, Marlborough, Westland, Otago, and Southland? (It's genuinely surprising the UF Tour did not have a date in Dunedin, since most international bands were still doing the four traditional main centres back then.)

Going by rugby boundaries Waikato has had all of the U2 shows in New Zealand post Zoo TV.

Also if, big if, it were to happen, Wellington and/or Dunedin would not shock me in addition to Auckland.

Going by rugby boundaries Waikato has had all of the U2 shows in New Zealand post Zoo TV.

Also if, big if, it were to happen, Wellington and/or Dunedin would not shock me in addition to Auckland.

Waikato was never a province. :tongue:

Though I suppose if we go by rugby provinces, I would've thought Mt Smart is in either Auckland or Counties-Manukau?

If there's ever another U2 show in the South Island, Forsyth Barr in Dunedin is now the logical location. Christchurch lacks the stadium facilities post-earthquake, and I can't see them playing the arena there - why do 2-4 shows in Christchurch when they can do one in Dunners?

But it strikes me that the only New Zealand cities in any reasonable contention for U2 concerts are Auckland and Wellington. I'm sure a tour one of these days will end up at the Cake Tin instead of Mt Smart.

Waikato was never a province. :tongue:

Though I suppose if we go by rugby provinces, I would've thought Mt Smart is in either Auckland or Counties-Manukau?

If there's ever another U2 show in the South Island, Forsyth Barr in Dunedin is now the logical location. Christchurch lacks the stadium facilities post-earthquake, and I can't see them playing the arena there - why do 2-4 shows in Christchurch when they can do one in Dunners?

But it strikes me that the only New Zealand cities in any reasonable contention for U2 concerts are Auckland and Wellington. I'm sure a tour one of these days will end up at the Cake Tin instead of Mt Smart.

Mt Smart is in Manukau which is Counties which leads into the (rugby) province of Waikato.

I'm not going to bother going to Dunedin for a gig - my brother went to see someone there, left early because the sound sucked and discovered it sounded better from the street outside. Because he's an idiot he did it again with the same outcome.

Mt Smart is in Manukau which is Counties which leads into the (rugby) province of Waikato.

I'm not going to bother going to Dunedin for a gig - my brother went to see someone there, left early because the sound sucked and discovered it sounded better from the street outside. Because he's an idiot he did it again with the same outcome.

Mate we both know the only true rugby provinces are the NPC ones, not the Super franchises. :tongue:

(It's also weird that Counties-Manukau aren't part of the Blues.)

And I had no idea Forsyth Barr was so bad for gigs. In that case the South Island is fucked.

I'm doing the by extension thing!

I think the Blues would rather Counties than North Harbour, but then they'd lose Northland.

I'm sure U2 could make Dunedin sound better, but if a group like AC/DC sound like they're playing through a tea towel unless you leave the venue, you may have issues.

It's basically all the economically weak states in the US that haven't seen a U2 show, apart from a few exceptions of course.

How about making a list of all the countries in the world that haven't seen a U2 show?
I am pretty sure there are countless of fans in those countries that would love to see them live but can't.

It's basically all the economically weak states in the US that haven't seen a U2 show, apart from a few exceptions of course.

How about making a list of all the countries in the world that haven't seen a U2 show?
I am pretty sure there are countless of fans in those countries that would love to see them live but can't.

I once made a list of this. I don't have it on the computer I'm using right now, but I'm pretty sure U2 have played 34 countries. That will rise to 35 with the Colombia gig.

It's a below-average showing for a band of their stature. I also went through a whole bunch of other major touring acts and found most were in the high 30s or low 40s. I compiled the stats back in about 2013 or so, and recent stars who'd then gone on only a couple of big world tours such as Katy Perry or Rihanna had already travelled more widely than U2. I recall Metallica and Elton John had really impressive touring records, visiting over 60 or 70 countries. I'll try to dig it up tonight after work.

Back
Top Bottom