States in the United States U2 has never played. - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-16-2017, 11:22 AM   #1
Acrobat
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 387
Local Time: 09:22 AM
States in the United States U2 has never played.

Here are the states I believe U2 has never played in the United States:

Maine
New Hampshire
Vermont
Delaware
West Virginia
Arkansas
South Dakota
North Dakota
Wyoming
Montana
Idaho
Alaska

Perhaps they might finally get to them on the Experience And Innocence Tour which probably won't start until early 2019. U2 could play an arena show in each of these states. The only concern is that some of the arenas might be smaller than the average and U2 might have to bring a modified stage so it could fit.

Imagine what its like being a U2 fan in Billings Montana, or even worse, Alaska. You either never get to see the band or have to arrange a bit of travel an days away in order to make it happen.
__________________

bono2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 12:19 PM   #2
Blue Crack Supplier
 
coolian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hamilton (No longer STD capital of NZ)
Posts: 42,934
Local Time: 02:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono2017 View Post
Imagine what its like being a U2 fan in Billings Montana, or even worse, Alaska. You either never get to see the band or have to arrange a bit of travel an days away in order to make it happen.
Must suck.

Signed,
Asia and the Pacific
__________________

coolian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 12:40 PM   #3
The Fly
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 296
Local Time: 06:22 AM
Imagine being a native on a Pacific island in the middle of nowhere. The colonialists left a satellite dish on your island, but abandoned operations, and you get fuzzy MTV signals and saw glorious Bono in sepia tones walking down what looked like the shiniest city in the world, and they NEVER play your village. You would have to dry or smoke 30 fish and set off by canoe for 47 days in ocean conditions just to get to a show.
Wide Awake n AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 12:56 PM   #4
Blue Crack Supplier
 
coolian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hamilton (No longer STD capital of NZ)
Posts: 42,934
Local Time: 02:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wide Awake n AZ View Post
Imagine being a native on a Pacific island in the middle of nowhere. The colonialists left a satellite dish on your island, but abandoned operations, and you get fuzzy MTV signals and saw glorious Bono in sepia tones walking down what looked like the shiniest city in the world, and they NEVER play your village. You would have to dry or smoke 30 fish and set off by canoe for 47 days in ocean conditions just to get to a show.
coolian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 01:08 PM   #5
The Fly
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 296
Local Time: 06:22 AM
My way of saying…I am not super worried about Montana and Alaska. With the choice to live there comes the knowledge you are not in concert row.

There are plenty of people who can’t just jet down a state from their purposely isolated area to see them on the relative regular. New Hampshire has it OK in this respect.
Wide Awake n AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 01:15 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,169
Local Time: 01:22 PM
States in the United States U2 has never played.

New Hampshire had a show back in 1981;

http://www.u2gigs.com/show404.html

Arkansas had a brief B+E acoustic show, but I know this doesn't really count;

http://www.u2gigs.com/show1241.html
The_acrobat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 01:18 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
zoopop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: San Antonio TX
Posts: 3,440
Local Time: 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono2017 View Post
Here are the states I believe U2 has never played in the United States:

Maine
New Hampshire
Vermont
Delaware
West Virginia
Arkansas
South Dakota
North Dakota
Wyoming
Montana
Idaho
Alaska

Perhaps they might finally get to them on the Experience And Innocence Tour which probably won't start until early 2019. U2 could play an arena show in each of these states. The only concern is that some of the arenas might be smaller than the average and U2 might have to bring a modified stage so it could fit.

Imagine what its like being a U2 fan in Billings Montana, or even worse, Alaska. You either never get to see the band or have to arrange a bit of travel an days away in order to make it happen.

I think those areas come with the territory/understanding of your gonna have to travel to seek some kind of entertainment. Most of those areas don't have big acts coming thru them or professional sports team (venues to host big names)

I live in San Antonio TX and I have to travel to see U2. 2-4 hrs one way when they hit Texas.


Maine
New Hampshire
Vermont
Delaware
West Virginia
(Boston, NY, Phili, DC)

Arkansas
(ATL, Tenn, Kentucky, FL)

South Dakota
North Dakota
(Minn, Kansas, IL, still pretty remote)


Wyoming
Montana
Idaho
(CO, Wash)


Alaska..........Good luck
zoopop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 01:21 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,169
Local Time: 01:22 PM
I also don't believe Mississippi has had a show. Unless you count the riverboat show they did in 1982 that left from New Orleans and made its way up and down the Mississippi River, straddling both states.

http://www.u2gigs.com/show66.html
The_acrobat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 02:07 PM   #9
Refugee
 
LadySpinHead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Faraway, So Close
Posts: 1,768
Local Time: 08:22 AM
North Dakota will never have a U2 show. Though Fargo puts in a good effort at entertainment, North Dakotans understand they have to travel to MN for music, pro sports, art, theater, etc. I say this as a former NoDakian.

Now when U2 starts showing up on the state fair circuit, we should all be worried.
LadySpinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 02:09 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict
 
Hewson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Your own private Idaho
Posts: 29,112
Local Time: 09:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadySpinHead View Post
Now when U2 starts showing up on the state fair circuit, we should all be worried.
Unless you're a corn dog or fried dough vendor.
Hewson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 02:10 PM   #11
Refugee
 
LadySpinHead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Faraway, So Close
Posts: 1,768
Local Time: 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
Unless you're a corn dog or fried dough vendor.


LadySpinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 06:30 AM   #12
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 152,733
Local Time: 12:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_acrobat View Post
New Hampshire had a show back in 1981;

http://www.u2gigs.com/show404.html

Arkansas had a brief B+E acoustic show, but I know this doesn't really count;

http://www.u2gigs.com/show1241.html


Yeah I was about to pipe up and say I've got a website for this: http://www.u2gigs.com/all-locations-state.html
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 06:45 AM   #13
The Fly
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 101
Local Time: 07:22 AM
States in the United States U2 has never played.

They only played once in KS...back in '83. If you are like me and live in Overland Park, KS it's simple enough to drive a few miles to get to the rare Kansas City, Missouri gig. But if you live in Salina or Hutchinson or something...well, you have to travel.
aviastar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 08:58 AM   #14
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 62,865
Local Time: 09:22 AM
What about Guam? You forgot Guam.
Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 09:32 AM   #15
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 152,733
Local Time: 12:22 AM
How about provinces and territories of Canada in which U2 have never played:

Newfoundland
Northwest Territories
Nova Scotia
Nunavut
Prince Edward Island
Saskatchewan
Yukon

That's a majority: 7 out of 13 haven't been played (all 3 territories, 4 out of 10 provinces). Of the five provinces/territories starting with N, the only one in which U2 have played - at once at that - is New Brunswick.

Of course, none of these are any particular surprise.

As for Australia, those omitted are:

Australian Capital Territory
Northern Territory
Tasmania

It's perhaps a surprise they didn't do the ACT or Tasmania on Lovetown. Canberra has the facilities, and the flexibility of the Lovetown setup means they could have played York Park in Launceston - especially with Van Diemen's Land on the then current album!
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:11 AM   #16
Acrobat
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 387
Local Time: 09:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_acrobat View Post
I also don't believe Mississippi has had a show. Unless you count the riverboat show they did in 1982 that left from New Orleans and made its way up and down the Mississippi River, straddling both states.

U2 New Orleans, 1982-02-11, SS President Riverboat, October Tour - U2 on tour
Thanks for the corrections about New Hampshire and Mississippi. I thought for sure U2 had played Mississippi at some point, a show in Biloxi Mississippi but I guess not.

Metallica played every state in the Union on their tour legs for the Black album released in 1991.

You have to do 100 shows just to perform once in every single U.S. state and every single
sovereign European country. That would be an interesting U2 tour, but not easy on the band and crew.
bono2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 11:11 AM   #17
Blue Crack Supplier
 
coolian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hamilton (No longer STD capital of NZ)
Posts: 42,934
Local Time: 02:22 AM
Next: Provinces of New Zealand.
coolian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 11:26 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,169
Local Time: 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Yeah I was about to pipe up and say I've got a website for this: http://www.u2gigs.com/all-locations-state.html


I spend WAY more time on that site than I probably should haha. Thanks for the work you've put into it. I especially love reading about the early shows, and people's stories that make each little club show a unique experience.
The_acrobat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 11:28 AM   #19
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 62,865
Local Time: 09:22 AM
They've yet to play Antarctica. Won't somebody think of penguin U2 fans?
Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 11:40 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
cleazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Toledo
Posts: 6,553
Local Time: 09:22 AM
I'm surprised they never played a proper show in Little Rock. No good venues there?
__________________

cleazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×