Spiderman News - Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that's why we can't agree: you seem to prefer something that just works even if it's totally unremarkable when I prefer something remarkable even if it "still" doesn't totally work. Totally different approaches for sure but mine is not less respectable than yours - well I think it wouldn't be really difficult to prove that's it's probably the opposite in fact- and if I'm speaking for myself then so are you then :wink:.

And again the question is not about Taymor being right thinking the idea of the "astral plane" for example is fantastic, it is about trying to do something personal, unique and challenging or not and refusing to modify this idea for something more conventional.

That's nice and all, but this is a $65m Broadway musical about Spider-man. It's not arthouse cinema, its Bruckheimer blockbuster. There's tricky new generation 'groundbreaking' CGI or whatever, so what - its still a Bruckheimer film. Get it right, blow some shit up, get some boobs out, earn the money back.

That's nice and all, but this is a $65m Broadway musical about Spider-man. It's not arthouse cinema, its Bruckheimer blockbuster. There's tricky new generation 'groundbreaking' CGI or whatever, so what - its still a Bruckheimer film. Get it right, blow some shit up, get some boobs out, earn the money back.

See I think that's another reason why people just don't get the purpose of this show because nowadays it's either something is artistic or it is commercial. For most people it is impossible to have both. Artistic stereotypes. But I would expect more from U2 fans as THIS is exactly what this band has always been about : being on the top the charts while always innovating and/or challenging themselves. SM is not the equivalent of a blockbuster for broadway they are aiming at something more clever than that and we should be grateful that at least nowadays there are still artists to try to do this kind of things.

Please.

Do you think they consider this to be anything other than a massive, complete, total, all encompassing, historic fuck up?

This is not some noble artistic endeavor, not even close. It is only innovative due to the specific mix they are using (part this, part that, part something else.) Although I won't argue with it being challenging, it certainly is that.

In the end though, it's purely commercial. Lion King Lady + Rock Super-Group + Marvel Franchise + Cirque Du Soleil Highwire Tricks + $65m Blown = HOW CAN THIS NOT BE A BLOCKBUSTER?

You can bet that was the thinking, and you can bet that absolutely no-one will accept it cocking up and "Oh well, what a great and noble artistic ride that was!" being any kind of excuse or consolation at all.

Well that's why we can't agree: you seem to prefer something that just works even if it's totally unremarkable when I prefer something remarkable even if it "still" doesn't totally work. Totally different approaches for sure but mine is not less respectable than yours - well I think it wouldn't be really difficult to prove that's it's probably the opposite in fact- and if I'm speaking for myself then so are you then :wink:.

And again the question is not about Taymor being right thinking the idea of the "astral plane" for example is fantastic, it is about trying to do something personal, unique and challenging or not and refusing to modify this idea for something more conventional.

Re. your astral plane comment - you clearly didn't understand my post...

Neither have I said I that I prefer to have something unremarkable that works - I am very familar, in an artistic capacity, with things that are "remarkable" and "work", so please don't let your assumptions run away with you...

eh hem...

YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE SHOW!

honestly... if you could at least admit that it is possible that, upon actually seeing this show, that you could say to yourself "wow... that kinda sucked. what on earth was i defending that for?" then i will happily accept that julie taymor is a celestial genius and we all simply don't understand her sheer brilliance, thus why we don't get why spider-man is super-duper terrific.

See. If this musical was once again slapped with two further safety violations last month, it proves that it couldn't have been that safe from the begining. But that's not our two guys fault.

Musical tunes are mostly unmelodic because if they were, they'll be considered pop songs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom