Spiderman News - Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty sure Disney was one of the big lenders when it got shut down because they ran out of money, I'll look into it. Either way, since then they bought Marvel Comics, so they are involved in that way at least.

wow... i didn't realise Paul McGuinness was listed as a producer of this thing! is that definitely the Paul McGuinness? :yikes:

Headache I don't agree, I think the show is amazing. I don't understand why the equipment keeps failing.......

The rest of the stunts were flawless and went very well with the score. The audience was loving it all.

I really wanted to go once it opened for real, but black eye or not they need to either redo the sets with safety nets, or shut it down for good.

i should imagine safety nets would be a good option at least...

wonder how the cast feel about it all...

Someone on Twitter last night joked that U2 would have a scrolling list of actors injured during Spiderman on their next tour.

I laughed.

Headache I don't agree, I think the show is amazing. I don't understand why the equipment keeps failing.......

The rest of the stunts were flawless and went very well with the score. The audience was loving it all.

i saw it.. i agree it has potential to be amazing, and has parts that are amazing, but also has parts that are just baffling and mind numbingly stupid. most of those parts surround arachne. the "shoes" scene was one of the most out of place, idiotic, stupid things i have ever witnessed in my entire life.

the green goblin's "i'll take manhattan" scene, on the other hand, was phenomenal.

re: your first link - I just see the latest article that mentions tomorrow's matinee is postponed, but tomorrow night's and the following performances are still a go. Is there an update I'm missing?

I think those who already hate U2/Bono will just add it to their pile of I HATE BONO fodder, but I think anyone who halfway thinks this stuff through will put the blame elsewhere (although I'm sure they put in a load of money to keep it going, but that was before all the accidents started happening, so ...).

The music didn't make anyone fall, after all!

On a half-joking note, I hope this doesn't mean that they'll never play Boy Falls From the Sky again because of ... well ... boys falling from the sky. :(

yeeaahhh ... although i want to be snarky and ask, "is Bono ok?" it does seem like this thing should be shut down.

i guess i'm rooting for this to come together and be great and for B&TE to win a bunch of Tonys or whatever because i'm a fan, obviously, and i want them to do good things. but it doesn't sound like they've done good work here, nor that they've even done a good thing here. actors shouldn't die, or be hospitalized. that's not all in a day's work. that's not an industry hazard. that's criminal.

shut it down. take the good songs and release a U2 album, or a B&TE stand-alone album, and be done with it. oh well, you tried.

let's not embarrass ourselves in middle-age with a shitty Broadway musical and (far worse) dead actors.

Anger or uproar should not be aimed at Bono and Edge, granted the blind U2 haters will take whatever they can get, but last time I checked the music had nothing to do with people falling, and the boys did not design the stunts or the equipment!

Anger or uproar should not be aimed at Bono and Edge, granted the blind U2 haters will take whatever they can get, but last time I checked the music had nothing to do with people falling, and the boys did not design the stunts or the equipment!

agreed. but it sounds like the music is really not very good.

we all know and love BFFTS, but beyond that?

What I'm saying is that the uproar is not about music, it's about the danger, which is not caused by the music :wink:.

But having listened to much of the score, with proper elocution a quite a few of the numbers could be something special. "Rise Above" :drool:

Though the best parts of the score seem to be the transition music.

"minor" injuries my a$$!!

BroadwayWorld has learned from several sources that SPIDER-MAN stuntman Christopher Tierney has suffered several broken ribs and bleeding after his nearly 30-foot free fall on the SPIDEY set last night. Fortunately, Tierney landed such that he avoided any crippling neck or spinal injury. He is still being held at the hospital in serious, but stable condition.
Read more: Broadway World Featured Topic: SPIDER-MAN News, Articles, Videos, Multimedia & More (BroadwayWorld.com)

we all know and love BFFTS

Eh - if you like that riff, just get them to start playing Dirty Day live again.

The word on the music has been pretty bad. Which I am a little surprised by. I guess some people might have assumed that with it being Bono/Edge, that they'd get monster song after monster song to an equivalent level of the best of their best as U2, which is a bit unfair. But at the same time, it's Broadway. This is - to say the least - not exactly the home of stellar music. I would have thought Bono/Edge at their cheesiest might have been, within that world, still pretty impressive.

The score needs to a little work, but it's not bad. Unfortunately it's more Broadway than rock, which disappointed me.

I agree with those that say this thing needs to be shut down. Clearly the equipment for the acrobatics has not been mastered. You cannot risk the health and lives of actors for financial reasons. Do you think the production staff for this could honestly say this production is safe? I don't and who knows when they could or if they would ever be able to. They were lucky this time as twisted as that sounds.

I haven't heard the songs yet, but my guess is that even if we as U2/rock fans think the songs are good, it doesn't mean they're well-suited to a Broadway musical.

Frankly, as far as hearing about the musical itself, I'm more interested in the opinions of people who aren't already U2 fans. I'm relying on them to hear how good they are, and how well the songs work in the show.

Which isn't to say I'm not interested in hearing U2 fans' opinions, I just want to hear the more objective POV on the music.

Retool the show and move it to Vegas with a saftey-net in between the stage/audience and the actors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom