Spiderman News

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with Edge, his 'heydey' comment. There were a lot of genuine 'classics' being made mostly by Hollywood I think. Guy and Dolls, My Fair Lady (english of course) Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, West Side Story etc. Can anyone think of anymore? Loads and loads and loads, but I haven't studied musical theatre/film.

musicals as in films is a different kettle of fish altogether, because that certainly did die down for a while, but has experienced a resurgence in recent years... I lived and breathed those films as a kid, West Side Story was one of my faves, along with Hair, not to mention The Sound of Music, Carousel, anything with Doris Day or Judy Garland or Marilyn Monroe, The King and I, The Wizard of Oz, Annie, early Disney especially The Jungle Book, Singing in the Rain, Cabaret, South Pacific jeesus there's loads but I'll stop lmfao ok i blushingly admit musicals provided the soundtrack to my early years *double blush* (hey and do the Elvis movies count btw? :D)

and if we're talking about musicals in a film context, well, I think Baz Luhrmann deserves a lot of credit for reviving the musical with his Moulin Rouge - there have been a whole load of musicals (films) following in his wake since then, some good, some terrible hehe

gah I love musicals!

aside from budget considerations (I think it's far too expensive for these times) and other concerns re. content, I am actually quite excited about the Spiderman musical - I like Julie Taymor's work usually (although I couldn't bear Across the Universe as I found it so gobsmackingly literal and shallow: girl climbs in thru the bathroom window cue "She Came in Through the Bathroom Window"; Prudence locks herself in a cupboard(?) cue "Dear Prudence"?whaaaa? so much so I half feared I would see Bono dressed up in a flubber suit and tusks to do his bit! ok, I'm exaggerating a bit but I feel the Beatles songs deserved more depth than the script/direction provided, plus I also feel the songs were just too big for what felt, to me, a very weak film - perhaps the Beatles songs were just bigger than her concept)... I will be interested to see what she comes up with with an original purpose-built score by Bono and the Edge though

I have to admit that I can't stand musicals. No offense to those who do...I just don't get them. I've never been able to grasp the concept of people signing AT ONE ANOTHER??? :huh: and I'm not a Spiderman fan to begin with so its not a great combo for me...But I digress....

My lone interest would be just the music, which I hope can be available for download somewhere as opposed to only being heard at the actual musical.

:uhoh:
musicals as in films is a different kettle of fish altogether, because that certainly did die down for a while, but has experienced a resurgence in recent years... I lived and breathed those films as a kid, West Side Story was one of my faves, along with Hair, not to mention The Sound of Music, Carousel, anything with Doris Day or Judy Garland or Marilyn Monroe, The King and I, The Wizard of Oz, Annie, early Disney especially The Jungle Book, Singing in the Rain, Cabaret, South Pacific jeesus there's loads but I'll stop lmfao ok i blushingly admit musicals provided the soundtrack to my early years *double blush* (hey and do the Elvis movies count btw? :D)

and if we're talking about musicals in a film context, well, I think Baz Luhrmann deserves a lot of credit for reviving the musical with his Moulin Rouge - there have been a whole load of musicals (films) following in his wake since then, some good, some terrible hehe

gah I love musicals!

aside from budget considerations (I think it's far too expensive for these times) and other concerns re. content, I am actually quite excited about the Spiderman musical - I like Julie Taymor's work usually (although I couldn't bear Across the Universe as I found it so gobsmackingly literal and shallow: girl climbs in thru the bathroom window cue "She Came in Through the Bathroom Window"; Prudence locks herself in a cupboard(?) cue "Dear Prudence"?whaaaa? so much so I half feared I would see Bono dressed up in a flubber suit and tusks to do his bit! ok, I'm exaggerating a bit but I feel the Beatles songs deserved more depth than the script/direction provided, plus I also feel the songs were just too big for what felt, to me, a very weak film - perhaps the Beatles songs were just bigger than her concept)... I will be interested to see what she comes up with with an original purpose-built score by Bono and the Edge though

First of all, pretty much ALL musicals are stage first/as well aren't they? Except for maybe Marilyn Munroe, yes had forgotten about all those great ones like 'Diamonds are a Girls Best Friend', 'Let's Make Love' (with Yves Montand) and was 'Gentlemen prefer Blondes' a musical? Not sure. You also reminded me of Barbara Streisand, 'Hello Dolly' and 'On a Clear Day You Can See Forever'. Wonderful (no Elvis movies definately do not count. :flirt:)

Can't stand Baz Lurhman, don't even wanna talk about it. Has some good ideas but then :censored:s 'em up. :tsk: :sigh:

Ok, I agree with you about Julie Taymor and having been completely baffled by Across the Universe. THOSE TWO SONGS, well that's when I gave up on it altogether (I was really trying till then) but I was sincerely disgusted by that. What kind of morons does she think we are anyway??? :uhoh: But I disagree with you as well. Yes it was completely 'shallow and literal' but I thought it showed up the weakness of the SONGS and many of them (MOST of them) were not well-chosen. FOR EXAMPLE, Eddie Izzard prancing about in For the Benefit of Mr Kite. Oh God, what a mess!! Let's face it, it is not their greatest song is it?

It didn't work as a story, a film, a music video. Nothing. It just plain didn't make sense. But the two leads were very good. VERY good actors, beautiful voices. :)

I have to admit that I can't stand musicals. No offense to those who do...I just don't get them. I've never been able to grasp the concept of people signing AT ONE ANOTHER??? :huh:

So I guess you're not into opera either?

To think U2 have never used musical elements for their extravagant shows is really closed-minded. The whole ZooTv concept with a different cast of characters was more or less a musical.

First of all, pretty much ALL musicals are stage first/as well aren't they?

I was referring to Edge's quote about the heyday of musicals being in the 40s, 50s, 60s and meaning that I can see his point if he's talking about musicals as in "films" (apart from this latest revival obviously, since Moulin Rouge - yeah Baz Luhrmann seems to be a love/hate thing) but definitely not in a theatre context

ps- I actually thought the Eddie Izzard Mr Kite bit was great hahaha :lol:

I like a lot of musicals. :wink: I just thought that guy made a ridiculous post.

I guess it was a bit ridiculous. :hmm: Like saying 'I've never been able to grasp the CONCEPT of people talking TO EACH OTHER' !!!!

You probably like Baz Lurhmann though huh? I've kind of never really forgiven him for what he did to Romeo and Juliet. :)

Not that it is particularly on the subject of 'Spiderman' news but I have been wondering whether or not to go see 'Australia'. One of those movies you really HAVE to see on a big screen. I won't see it on dvd.

What do you think??

So I guess you're not into opera either?

To think U2 have never used musical elements for their extravagant shows is really closed-minded. The whole ZooTv concept with a different cast of characters was more or less a musical.

Comparing a rock concert to a musical is comparing apples to oranges.

I hope you aren't trying to equate the two, because while both contain music...they are not one in the same.

Call me "close-minded" if you will, but how am I close minded if I don't like musicals? Please explain. Its not like I said I don't like MUSIC. Big difference.

I love watching actors in a movie, and I love listening to musicians performing music...I just don't want the two to mix. thats all. I doubt that I'm that out of the ordinary for saying so. And BTW, I merely expressed MY opinion...openly stating that it was MY opinion. You may not share it...but no need to call me close minded just because I don't share your supposed "open mindedness" :down:

Bloomberg.com: Arts and Culture

Feb. 19 (Bloomberg) -- Spider-Man will have to wait a little longer for his Broadway debut because of production delays that have plagued the $31.3 million musical featuring songs by U2.

Rehearsals for the most expensive show ever produced on the Great White Way have been put off from this spring, according to senior members of the production team, who declined to be named because an opening date has not been announced.

According to these people, the musical will have a workshop in the late summer and begin rehearsals in the late fall for a Broadway opening at the Hilton Theater likely in early 2010.

“This is the third time the date has been changed so far,” one of the production people said.

This person added that the high cost of producing the show “has never been an issue because the producers aren’t tied to the market.” The reasons for the delay, this person said, have to do with still-unresolved creative decisions by a team headed by director Julie Taymor.

“Spider-Man” is being produced by a small consortium that includes Hello Entertainment/David Garfinkle; Martin McCallum, a former top executive in the Cameron Mackintosh organization; and “Spider-Man” publisher Marvel Entertainment.

Announcement Coming

None of the lead producers would speak about the show. Susanne Tighe, a spokeswoman for the production, said, “There can’t be a postponement since no dates were announced.”

“We’re going to send out an announcement next week,” she said, declining to comment further.

“Spider-Man” would mark Taymor’s return to Broadway for the first time since 1997, when she staged the Tony Award-winning adaptation of Walt Disney Co.’s animated film, “The Lion King.” The songs for “Spider-Man,”, by U2’s Bono and the Edge, and book, by Taymor and Glen Berger, were completed last year.

Evan Rachel Wood, a star of Taymor’s Beatles film, “Across the Universe,” already has been cast as Spider-Man’s love interest, Mary Jane Watson. Wood’s co-star from the film, Jim Sturgess, has performed readings of the show and is favored for the lead role.

The show could cost as much as $40 million, according to published reports. In a recent interview, the Edge put the cost at $25 million euros ($31.3 million). In addition to a large cast and special effects, the production calls for a 20-piece rock band.

Tough Tricks

In a television interview after a reading last year with Wood and Sturgess, Taymor said that recreating Spider-Man’s superhero feats will be much harder to replicate on a live stage.

The people involved in the production said that preliminary work on the show would begin this spring, in preparation for the summer workshop.

“But everything’s been changed, so don’t assume it won’t change again,” one person said.

Despite the slumping economy, seven musicals are scheduled to open on Broadway between now and the end of the season in May. They include revivals of “Guys and Dolls,” currently in previews at the Nederlander Theater; “West Side Story,” “Hair” and another big-budget film-to-stage transfer, the Dolly Parton-scored show “9 to 5.”

I don't know when Bono and Edge are supposed to have time for that with everything that's going on right now. No surprise it was postponed.

Well wasn't their part in it supposedly finished anyway though, I thought the songs were supposed to be written and done. So that wouldn't make a difference as far as Bono and Edge's time are concerned would it? Unless you just mean recording the soundtrack album. But that could always be done after at a later date anyways.

How about a musical starring U2 called Expect Nothing starring the Bono,Edge,Adam,and Larry.With additional help from Brian Eno,Daniel Lanois,Steve Lillywhite,and Flood.An 8 man musical with lots of beautiful women in it also.Bono's characters could be in it including The Fly,Mirrorball man,Macphisto,Morracan french biker cop,and such.:applaud::corn:

Well, this makes Bono's promise of a fall 2009 album a little more plausible. I was convinced that even if they'd release 2 albums in a year there was no way they'd do 3. So, 2 in 2009, and then Spiderman 2010! :) :hyper::applaud:

U2 powered Spiderman gets premiere date

U2-Powered Spider-Man Musical Gets Premiere Date
Josh Grossberg Josh Grossberg 56 mins ago
Los Angeles (E! Online) – Broadway's Spidey senses are tingling.

Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark, the hyped stage musical directed by Julie Taymor (The Lion King) with music and lyrics courtesy of U2's Bono and The Edge, will kick off what its producers hope will be an amazing run along the Great White Way beginning with previews on Jan. 16, 2010, and a Feb. 18, 2010, opening night.

The $40 million effort, reportedly the most expensive Broadway production ever, will make its debut in the Hilton Theatre, the only venue big enough to allow the superhero room to spin his way around the sprawling skyscraper sets while duking it out with various bad guys.

Spider-Man's book is written by Glen Berger, and Taymor and will follow the classic origin story (nerdy Peter Parker gets bitten by radioactive spider and becomes a crimefighter). No word yet on casting or which villains Spider-Man will face off against.

Initially rehearsals for Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark, whose name derives from one of its songs, were slated for the spring. But the creative team has now opted instead to workshop the musical in the summer and push back rehearsals until the fall.

··· THEY SAID WHAT? Get today's most commented stories now at E! Online - Entertainment News, Celebrity Gossip, Celebrity News

U2-Powered Spider-Man Musical Gets Premiere Date

(Oops, somebody already posted this, oh well, it's another source :) )

Looks like some dates have been set:

Broadway’s ‘Spider-Man’ Spins a Theater and Start Date - ArtsBeat Blog - NYTimes.com

February 24, 2009, 12:49 pm
Broadway’s ‘Spider-Man’ Spins a Theater and Start Date
By Patrick Healy
Spider-Man, Turn Off the Dark A poster for the coming Broadway musical “Spider-Man, Turn Off the Dark”

The widely anticipated new musical “Spider-Man, Turn Off the Dark,” with music and lyrics by U2’s Bono and the Edge, and directed by Julie Taymor (”The Lion King”), took a big swing toward a Broadway debut on Tuesday as the producers announced that the show was scheduled to begin previews next January at the Hilton Theater.

The musical, which is produced by Hello Entertainment/David Garfinkle, Martin McCallum, Marvel Entertainment/David Maisel and Sony Pictures Entertainment, is to start previews at the Hilton on Jan. 16, 2010 and open on Feb. 18. Industry insiders have said its budget would be the largest in Broadway history, about $40 million; asked to confirm that budget figure, a spokesman for the show, Adrian Bryan-Brown, said on Tuesday that the producers would not comment on the dollar amount. The “Spider-Man” musical would mark the Broadway debut for Bono and the Edge. Ms. Taymor and Glen Berger (of Off-Broadway’s “Underneath the Lintel”) have written the book. No casting was announced.

Mr. Bryan-Brown said that the music and lyrics were largely complete, but that Bono and the Edge would “of course write more songs as necessary.” He said that the subtitle of the musical, “Turn Off the Dark,” is the title of one of the songs, and added that there were no plans to use or riff on the well-known theme song from the television cartoon series about the Marvel comic-book superhero.

According to a news release from the producers, the show, in which the title character will indeed be flying around the Hilton, draws on the comic book series for “inspiration,” yet also “spins a new take on the mythic tale of a young man propelled from a modest row house in Queens to the sky-scraping spire of the Chrysler Building, the bustling offices of the Daily Bugle, through the dizzying canyons of Manhattan, to new vistas never before seen.”

The plot description concludes: “Spider-Man’s battles will hurtle the audience through an origin story both recognizable and unexpected, yielding new characters as well as familiar faces until a final surprising confrontation casts a startling new light on this hero’s journey.”

'Spider-Man' musical sets 2010 Broadway opening date

From the Los Angeles Times;

"It's official: "Spider-Man, Turn Off the Dark," the new musical featuring music by U2's Bono and Edge, will open on Broadway on Feb. 18, 2010.

The musical, based on the Marvel comic superhero, will be staged by Julie Taymor ("The Lion King"), who co-wrote the book with Glen Berger ("Underneath the Lintel"). No official word on casting, although Evan Rachel Wood has said she will star as Mary Jane, love interest of Peter Parker, the teen who is bitten by a radioactive spider and gains superpowers.
The production, with a reported budget of about $31 million, will begin previews Jan. 16 next year at the Hilton Theatre.

Tickets go on sale in June."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom