Spiderman News

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Your friendly neighbour ? :up:

The musical ? :shrug:

Edge's heyday comment: 3 words - Andrew Lloyd Webber.

A friend of mine who works as an assistant to a Broadway producer says that the news about the Spiderman project is a little graver than the recent articles are indicating, mainly because of its ridiculous cost---well more than any musical has ever dreamed of costing. He said that they're planning on raising the ticket prices---with a base price expected to be about $150. That's not likely to help sales, as ticket sales for Broadway shows are tanking at the moment anyway...many great shows are closing simply because no one is investing in the luxury of a Broadway show. Add to that the fact that a decent chunk of the Spiderman audience will be families (if it's good, of course it'll pull other people, too), and that really kills---you're talking $600 for a family of four to get cruddy seats. So, money-wise, it's not shaping up so well at the moment. According to my friend, that was the primary reason for the delay in the opening---that they really wanted to open sometime late spring/early summer, but that the economy sucks so much that they're waiting until the fall.

He also claims to have heard a few songs. :ohmy: For some reason, he was taken aback by my excitement at that. :lol: He said they were good and "you know, they sounded like the stuff they usually write." :rolleyes: He's not much of a non-Broadway music buff, so who knows what that means. I'm pestering him to see if he has an mp3 or something...I doubt he sat in on rehearsals, so he must've heard something that got passed around. That said, I don't really expect him to send me something. If he does, I'll gladly share...but I'm not expecting it. Just so you know. :wink:

The amount of ignorance on this issue is amazing.

Bitch about something no one has even heard or seen yet.

If they want to do a musical and work with Spiderman, it's ok, no matter if some fans like musicals or Spiderman or not. Maybe this will be very original and great in the end. I'm sure all of you will run to see it if you have the chance to. I know I would.

U2 have always had various side projects. For all I care they could write an opera or an orchestral piece and it would be fine for me, because I respect their interest in different musical genres and in trying out different things.

You go girl.. :up:

Your defense here is convoluted and not really to the point. Do I want to hear the music? Yes. Would I go see the play? Maybe, especially if it received glowing reviews from non-biased critics. The point here is Spiderman. Spiderman. It sounds like Bono's sons chose this project for them. So could it be good? Yes. But would I have preferred they chose a different project? Definitely.

Overall, I've mostly shrugged my shoulders when this project has come up, but the fact that this may have stolen away some relevant musical creativity is a bit off-putting for me. Not to mention the length of wait for the new album.

And finally, your accusation of ignorance is off-base, offensive, and frankly laughable.

Look, I'd be all for Bono and Edge doing some amazing music for a musical...I guess. As long as the u2 album kicks ass.
But Spiderman? Lame. It's been done to death in the movies. Blah. High art? Yeah.....about spiderman........gimmee a fucking break.

Please.. you, like so many others think U2 should do everything just to make you happy, I suppose, whatever that would be..:huh:

last unicorn has as much right to state her opinions and or expectations as anyone does. She defends U2 because there is so much negativity around everything that hasn't even been released, that it just ridiculous & it get's old - after a while and she feels the need to speak up. Many of us do. :up:

maybe i'm alone in this, but i have no interest in this project whatsoever. i just want a strong U2 album.

Too bad you can't just take mikals ^ attitude and just state an opinion and shut up about others opinions.

So maybe you Jofo, should just get over it. k:wink:

*shields up* :D

It's been done pretty much except as they said for incidental linking music which would pretty much have to wait for the fine tuning of the production. Bono and Edge have been working on this since 2005. The 18 songs have been completed ages ago. When Taymor was doing interviews for Across the Universe she mentioned several times that they had written the music. A workshop reading was done last summer where the songs were performed and dry read through of the play was done. This news has been coming out in dribs and drabs for three years now. This is however the most detail that has been contained in one article up to this point.

Dana

Isn't there a new Spidey movie with Christian Bale coming out soon? That's supposed to be really shit? OH NO!!! I'm thinking of the Terminator. :D James Cameron isn't directing. :depressed: Pity.

And did anyone like Across the Universe???

:huh:

And here you come again with your defiant aggression towards everyone who has one negative or even slightly negative, or even hints at the possibility of it being less than great, attitude.
Jesus, get a life and stop being the den mother of this frickin board.

You think Spiderman is cool. Awesome. Go rent all three movies. Maybe go dress up in the costume and listen to HTDAAB for the millionth time.
Happy New Year.

Happy New Year to you too!!

:giggle:

Your friendly neighbour ? :up:

The musical ? :shrug:

Edge's heyday comment: 3 words - Andrew Lloyd Webber.
Andrew Lloyd Webber = overrated

But I do agree with the fact that there have been some interesting musicals since the 60's... to give a couple recent examples - Wicked and Avenue Q (not to mention various Sondheim productions, i.e. Sweeney Todd, Sunday in the Park with George, Into the Woods, etc.,.) :sexywink:

EDIT: And nobody better mention RENT :mad:

You know what?
Cool.
Let u2 write the music for "Spiderman: The Musical" on Broadway.
Let them think it's the only good musical since the 1960's.
Let them make it the most expensive show ever to put on, meanwhile Bono is campaigning for funding for Africa.
Let everyone here think it's awesome.
And again, Happy New Year.

last unicorn has as much right to state her opinions and or expectations as anyone does. She defends U2 because there is so much negativity around everything that hasn't even been released, that it just ridiculous & it get's old - after a while and she feels the need to speak up. Many of us do. :up:

Taking out anger over a general trend of negativity is pointless, especially on someone making relevant points. I see this from time to time, people going, "Oh, you just complain about everything U2 does! Everyone does! They can't do anything right!"

I find that there are real, constructive criticisms of U2 that are completely legitimate. Maybe that's just me. But just as there are poor, pointless criticisms, there are laughably pathetic, blind faith-style defenses of U2.

You know what?
Cool.
Let u2 write the music for "Spiderman: The Musical" on Broadway.
Let them think it's the only good musical since the 1960's.
Let them make it the most expensive show ever to put on, meanwhile Bono is campaigning for funding for Africa.
Let everyone here think it's awesome.
And again, Happy New Year.

Well man (man, right?), I guess it's pointless to try to change other people's opinion, and it does not matter if that opinion is right or wrong. Don't get me wrong, and I'll apologize if I'm wrong, but I guess that's what you're trying to do here.
Y'know, I've got a bunch of friends that think U2 is the biggest load of shit when it comes to music. We both know that they are wrong, but it's pointless to try to change their minds.
Just saying.
And Happy New Year too! :applaud:

I find the extremes on this subject to be absolutely hilarious...

I approach it with an open mind because honestly we have almost nothing.

For those of you attacking it based purely on subject manner, i.e. Spiderman that's ridiculous, the same could have been said for The Lion King(by the way the same producer) but it's been hailed as a great achievement.

For those of you attacking it based on an out of context quote from the Edge, well that's never a good argument.

For those of you attacking it with the Africa bent, get a life for U2 will never again be able to do anything ever again using that logic.

Well, according to Evan Rachel Wood, the music is "the best work they've done."

Evan Rachel Wood - News

I really feel as though it is quite premature to be condemning this project when we have heard nothing but positive things (from the aforementioned, Julie Taymor, Bono, etc.,.).

EDIT: And just hearing how enthusiastic Wood is about the project makes me happy...

Snippet from Evan Rachel Wood Interview, The Wrestler - MoviesOnline

MoviesOnline: Have you gotten any of the music yet for Spider-Man?

EVAN RACHEL WOOD: Yeah, yeah, yeah. I had to do a read through of it for Marvel in person, kind of an audition. So yeah, I’ve heard all the music and it’s so good. It makes me cry.

MoviesOnline: Did you work with Bono and The Edge on the songs themselves?

EVAN RACHEL WOOD: Yeah. They were coming, going “We wrote this song. Sing it.” Jim Sturgess who played Jude in “Across the Universe” did the workshop with me. We’re still trying to convince him to play Spider-Man, but I got to read it with him and he’s such a huge, huge U2 fan. There was one time he was learning the song and Bono and The Edge were playing the other parts so they were basically being his back-up singers and I just remember taking him to the side and going “Bono and The Edge were just your back-up singers. Can you just enjoy this moment right now for me, please? It’s 4th of July. We’re never going to forget this.” You know, it was awesome. It was amazing.

the music from it may be good, and i am really looking forward to hear it.
but a musical ??? thats the most far from rock n roll i can think of.. I hate musicals and I hate my favourite band being involved in it. Now they are really going back to the mainstream... However, I´m still looking forward to hear the music.

Damn, my edit option expired :mad:

But here's another cool little glimpse into one of the songs...
From Evan Rachel Wood talks about SPIDER-MAN on Broadway

Question: About the soundtrack, was there one song when you first heard it that you thought this is really, really going to be a hit?

Evan: Yeah. I mean there are a couple, but I love my solo. It’s just a beautiful song. It reminds me of… I kept going it’s the On My Own moments from Les Mis. It’s that kind of feeling. When I heard it – you know, I’m obsessed with David Bowie and my favorite David Bowie song is Ashes to Ashes – and I heard the song and there’s this twangy instrument in it and they looked at me and they said “Yeah, we wanted a song that sounded like Ashes to Ashes” and I just went “Whoa!”

http://www.collider.com/uploads/imageGallery/Evan_Rachael_Wood/evan_rachel_wood_image__2_.jpg

:drool:

http://www.collider.com/uploads/imageGallery/Evan_Rachael_Wood/evan_rachel_wood_image__4_.jpg

:drool: :drool:

Well, according to Evan Rachel Wood, the music is "the best work they've done."

Evan Rachel Wood - News

I really feel as though it is quite premature to be condemning this project when we have heard nothing but positive things (from the aforementioned, Julie Taymor, Bono, etc.,.).

EDIT: And just hearing how enthusiastic Wood is about the project makes me happy...

Snippet from Evan Rachel Wood Interview, The Wrestler - MoviesOnline

MoviesOnline: Have you gotten any of the music yet for Spider-Man?

EVAN RACHEL WOOD: Yeah, yeah, yeah. I had to do a read through of it for Marvel in person, kind of an audition. So yeah, I’ve heard all the music and it’s so good. It makes me cry.

MoviesOnline: Did you work with Bono and The Edge on the songs themselves?

EVAN RACHEL WOOD: Yeah. They were coming, going “We wrote this song. Sing it.” Jim Sturgess who played Jude in “Across the Universe” did the workshop with me. We’re still trying to convince him to play Spider-Man, but I got to read it with him and he’s such a huge, huge U2 fan. There was one time he was learning the song and Bono and The Edge were playing the other parts so they were basically being his back-up singers and I just remember taking him to the side and going “Bono and The Edge were just your back-up singers. Can you just enjoy this moment right now for me, please? It’s 4th of July. We’re never going to forget this.” You know, it was awesome. It was amazing.

Those two are SO good. :bow::ohmy: I mean E.R.W. and Jim Sturgess. I'd definately go see it, if HE was Spidey. :hyper:

but a musical ??? thats the most far from rock n roll i can think of.. I hate musicals and I hate my favourite band being involved in it. Now they are really going back to the mainstream... However, I´m still looking forward to hear the music.

Free your mind dude! :wink:

but a musical ??? thats the most far from rock n roll i can think of.. I hate musicals and I hate my favourite band being involved in it. Now they are really going back to the mainstream...

See, it's this kind of close minded shit that really bugs me... Not only that, but it's just wrong. Musicals aren't mainstream, and you've never heard of rock musicals? Where have you been?

See, it's this kind of close minded shit that really bugs me... Not only that, but it's just wrong. Musicals aren't mainstream, and you've never heard of rock musicals? Where have you been?

While I agree with most of what you've said, some of today's biggest musicals are the essence of "mainstream" in all of the predictable ways that that term suggests. Andrew Lloyd Webber (whom someone mentioned earlier in positive tones) is, I think, the worst thing that has ever happened to musical theatre. Successful, yes (very), but cheesy and maudlin in the extreme. Edge was on to something when he suggested that the 40s to 60s were a highpoint in musical theatre; there were many more shows, and many of these were artistically groundbreaking.

While I agree with most of what you've said, some of today's biggest musicals are the essence of "mainstream" in all of the predictable ways that that term suggests. Andrew Lloyd Webber (whom someone mentioned earlier in positive tones) is, I think, the worst thing that has ever happened to musical theatre. Successful, yes (very), but cheesy and maudlin in the extreme. Edge was on to something when he suggested that the 40s to 60s were a highpoint in musical theatre; there were many more shows, and many of these were artistically groundbreaking.

I agree with what you are saying, I guess the point I was trying to make is that overall it's still not a genre I would consider "mainstream", many will go and see the film adaptation but have never stepped foot in a theater.

And yes I agree with you about Edge's comment, I had to chuckle when someone mention Webber's name as being an argument against Edge's quote.

Edge was on to something when he suggested that the 40s to 60s were a highpoint in musical theatre; there were many more shows, and many of these were artistically groundbreaking.

which shows in particular are you thinking of? and in what way were they groundbreaking? i'd be really interested to know...

Well this sounds good. :hyper:
Have to admit I'm curious as hell.

MoviesOnline: Are the songs the type that in the tradition of a musical you have to listen to them in the context of the story or are they more stand alone?

EVAN RACHEL WOOD: No, I think you can hear them just on their own. And that’s one of the cool things about it being Bono and The Edge is that they actually sound like hit songs. So, no, I think the soundtrack will be good too because they’re like pop songs.

chuckle all you want! i loved Cats! :D

Me, too. I like most of his musicals. I like other contemporary musicals as well. I live in a city with a long tradition of musical stage plays and I think I've seen all of them in recent years. Some are really good, other's not so much, but in general I have nothing against the musical genre.

I have absolutely nothing against musicals, and I'm all for good U2 music, but I still find the thought of an ultra-extravagant Spiderman musical feauturing original work by Bono and The Edge to be the product of a terribly ridiculous yet fairly amusing dream.

What do you think this is going to be? Rodgers and Hammerstein? Leonard Bernstein? Personally, I'd love that. They wrote some music that will truly last forever. But this is Spiderman. In 2009. It will be rock and roll.

You should stop trying to put your favorite band in a straightjacket.

Mainstream? Well it depends on the musical surely. And 'mainstream' doesn't necessarily mean 'bad' does it? Someone mentioned The Lion King' and The Producers for example was incredibly clever and funny. (And since when are U2 NOT mainstream anyway?!) Alot of Disney is also very BRILLIANT! (fan)

Andrew Lloyd Webber gives 'mainstream' a bad name because yes he is so very 'cheesy and maudlin' in the extreme. I could write that music! And I'm not musical at all. And the lyrics, PULEASE! I'm not even sure I COULD write lyrics THAT bland and formulaic and you just know what's coming next...ok what rhymes with 'love' er something from above? maybe. :tsk: Cats was definately the best thing he wrote. The one with most fantasy and at least ONE good song. (Memory)

I agree with Edge, his 'heydey' comment. There were a lot of genuine 'classics' being made mostly by Hollywood I think. Guy and Dolls, My Fair Lady (english of course) Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, West Side Story etc. Can anyone think of anymore? Loads and loads and loads, but I haven't studied musical theatre/film.

As for their Spiderman 'ultra-extravagant' show, well I like a good show! :love: The subject material doesn't really matter. It is what they do with it that counts. I just hope it is good. If it is, I am SO there. :up: :wink:

And the man's written probably the most famous musicals of the last decades...Edge was wrong with his quote on musicals is what was the issue anyway.

yeah, exactly

whether people like ALW or not, his lasting impact on musical theatre cannot be denied; I would even go as far as to say he helped revolutionise and breathe new life and excitement into the art form! i found his work very creative in its time and context...

I found Edge's quote pretty surprising, I mean, Julie Taymor did some great innovative work with The Lion King not that long ago as someone else mentioned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom