Spiderman News

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Extensive work being done to prep for the technically demanding show, both in the shop constructing the physical production and in the theater where "Spider-Man" is due to bow, is said to have stopped this week.

Thank God

I was in the city over the weekend and saw the building where the show is supposed to take place, and the entire building looks extremely vacant and has scaffolding all over with a sign that says spiderman but doesn't have an opening date on it. I should have taken a picture. :angry:

^I was there last weekend 2! I almost missed it...wasn't looking for it. It looked quite sad...I have a pic if u want me to upload it.

Could you please post the pic.

At least with it being delayed we don't have to go in the cold to see it, but on the downside, I may not have money to get tickets, because the tour will be staring back up around then.

Pics for ya!

096.jpg

099.jpg

097.jpg

They aren't very good LOL

I had expected this to flop when it opened, but it's astonishing that the whole production seems on the verge of total collapse already. If the NY Post article is as credible as it seems to be, then it's pretty obvious that the whole project was doomed from the outset. (If the production needs a large infusion of cash to persist, do you think the main composers would be interested in contributing? I doubt it somehow!)

Hoepfully we'll still get to hear the songs in some form though, even if the show doesn't end up going ahead. To be honest, there's little in U2's back catalogue to indicate that Bono and Edge would have a flair for writing theatrical songs, as these are very different in terms of musical / vocal arrangements from rock songs. But, I was certainly prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt.

I had expected this to flop when it opened, but it's astonishing that the whole production seems on the verge of total collapse already. If the NY Post article is as credible as it seems to be, then it's pretty obvious that the whole project was doomed from the outset. (If the production needs a large infusion of cash to persist, do you think the main composers would be interested in contributing? I doubt it somehow!)

Hoepfully we'll still get to hear the songs in some form though, even if the show doesn't end up going ahead. To be honest, there's little in U2's back catalogue to indicate that Bono and Edge would have a flair for writing theatrical songs, as these are very different in terms of musical / vocal arrangements from rock songs. But, I was certainly prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt.

i wonder if there's any correlation between the Spiderman news and Larry's drum technician spouting out that Songs Of Ascent is coming out later this year.

^ Same here absolutely!

Maybe they should just take the whole thing to Vegas :hmm:

LOL don't get so worked up. It's clear this project was doomed from the start. Better this show never open in the first place than open and it be a complete failure...if that makes sense.

Yeah, the obvious upside to this show being completely canceled is that Bono and the Edge won't be forced to answer excruciating questions like...WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?...for the rest of their lives.

But in all seriousness, any cancellation or push-back of this means we have a better chance of getting actual U2 music sooner rather than later.

Yes because it's so great to see U2 fail, lose a lot of money, being exposed to media critisism, fans' hopes and expectations being destroyed and we'll never get to hear these songs. Wow, thank God indeed.

:|

I hope it's not true. The NY Post is a tabloid.

Common sense makes a comeback.

Look, this could be really really cool. I would much rather have a Spider-Man musical with music and lyrics completely by Bono and The Edge than the hint of a chance of a possibility of SOA a couple months earlier.

And I fail to see how this is likely to be a failure. Taymor is accomplished, the cast was shaping up well, and you can say what you want about Bono and The Edge but I think that from writing for Cash, Orbison, Tina Turner, Sinatra... these guys have proven that they can adapt their style to just about anything. And as for this talk about the songs not being "theatrical"... this is a different affair. We've seen recently in shows like Jersey Boys, Mamma Mia, and Billy Elliot that good songwriters are good songwriters and good songs are good songs. The interviews have all been about how this show would be unclassifiable, a super-hero rock opera. Yeah, it's a crazy idea. But even with the long odds of this being a financial success, if it gets generally positive reviews and satisfies audiences, it will only contribute to U2's popularity and prestige.

And I see a VERY GOOD chance of exactly that happening.
:down:

ANyone else feeling that oif it does get cancelled it may act to actually push SOA BACK, because the music for spidey is good, and rather than release it as a soundtrack, they will rework lyrics and use it for new album?

I see a lot of preconceived notions as to what Broadway should be, what comic books are, where Bono and Edge should be...

and to all of that I say fuck it...

Let's be honest, we don't know. Who thought U2 contributing a track to a Batman movie sounded like a good idea when they first heard it? Who thought they could bring Lion King to Broadway when they first heard it? Who thought mixing U2 mixing with Pavarotti sounded like a good idea at first? Hell who in the 80's thought U2 would be doing dance remixes?

Free your minds, and the ass will follow :wink:

ANyone else feeling that oif it does get cancelled it may act to actually push SOA BACK, because the music for spidey is good, and rather than release it as a soundtrack, they will rework lyrics and use it for new album?

Doubt it. Even if it's cancelled completely, there is going to be some(contractual or not) delay time as to what U2 can do with the songs. Come Feb if it doesn't open there will still be some that want it to open so they are going to try and find new backers, or rework something... ideas like this take sometimes years to actually be considered dead, and then when it's officially dead U2 can do something if they choose.

I think this delay bodes well for SOA, because it removes any priority that Spiderman has for the time being...

Who thought they could bring Lion King to Broadway when they first heard it?

That's the sort of thing that makes me uneasy, because I thought that the Lion King was horrible, and that the music was dreadful. If that's the gold standard, than count me out.

But... but... it's not their adaption! They just wrote the music! These articles suggest that Bono and Edge were spearheading the entire project, not just the music; one of them even implies that they wrote the scrip.

That's the sort of thing that makes me uneasy, because I thought that the Lion King was horrible, and that the music was dreadful. If that's the gold standard, than count me out.

Well I wasn't talking about music or script, I meant visually. I haven't seen it, but I've heard it's visually amazing. You're one of the few that I've heard it described as horrible.

I see a lot of preconceived notions as to what Broadway should be, what comic books are, where Bono and Edge should be...

and to all of that I say fuck it...

Let's be honest, we don't know. Who thought U2 contributing a track to a Batman movie sounded like a good idea when they first heard it? Who thought they could bring Lion King to Broadway when they first heard it? Who thought mixing U2 mixing with Pavarotti sounded like a good idea at first? Hell who in the 80's thought U2 would be doing dance remixes?

Free your minds, and the ass will follow :wink:

I have to agree. You know, I would say that over 30 years U2 has been pretty successful in their decisions. So if they are interested in getting behind something there must be something there. Especially since we don't know fuck about it.

I trust Julie Taymor to come up with something good... if not great... if not bloody amazing... if not perfect.

Doubt it. Even if it's cancelled completely, there is going to be some(contractual or not) delay time as to what U2 can do with the songs. Come Feb if it doesn't open there will still be some that want it to open so they are going to try and find new backers, or rework something... ideas like this take sometimes years to actually be considered dead, and then when it's officially dead U2 can do something if they choose.

I think this delay bodes well for SOA, because it removes any priority that Spiderman has for the time being...

Correct.

I trust Julie Taymor to come up with something good... if not great... if not bloody amazing... if not perfect.

did you like what she did to Across the Universe??

those were a couple of the most excruciating hours of my film-viewing life so far, although normally i like her work!

her background is in theatre though so i'm sure it will translate well in a theatrical context... here's hoping anyway...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom