Spiderman Discussion - Part III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Headache in a Suitcase said:
Taymor was busy when the play was supposed to have opened? And we're just finding out about this now? Come on... nobody's that gullible to believe that, are they?

In other news, the stork crashed to earth while delivering Paul McGuinness, and the Easter Bunny will be delivering the new U2 album.

here's another article repeating what we already know, but describing some of the upcoming changes... Arachne is being heavily cut for one thing, and the shoe scene too - Headache, you will be pleased!!

Lead producers Michael Cohl and Jeremiah J. Harris announced last night that SPIDER-MAN Turn Off The Dark has a newly expanded creative team in place. The team will be implementing a new plan to make what they describe as "significant and exciting revisions to the production." Opening night (previously set for March 15, 2011) has been rescheduled to an evening in early summer, 2011. This amended schedule will allow the time necessary to execute the plan, which will include revisions to the script.

We're hearing that at least 4 new songs are expected for the production, including a big new Act 2 opening song. In the meantime, the show is back in rehearsals starting this afternoon including work on Deeply Furious/Think Again, the Death of Uncle Ben, Splash Page and more...

We're told that the cast today will be meeting with Actors' Equity to explore their options and union protection. Many of the cast are up in arms since they've been rehearsing the show now since August of 2010 (or earlier) with much exhaustion and no end in site. We're told that levels of anger and frustration vary amongst the cast, but their first concern right now is to understand what their options are, as its looking like there's at least 3 more months of rehearsals in store.

In the meantime, Jeremy Gerard at Bloomberg News is the first with more details on what will be cut from the show, and what changes will occur during the show's as of yet unannounced shutdown. He reports that the Julie Taymor creation of Arachne will be heavily cut down, with her scenes being minimized and cut entirely, along with the song 'Deeply Furious' in which she and her minions go shopping for shoes, also said to be a Taymor favorite.

Also on the chopping block? The Green Goblin's Act I death scene, which will make his Act II appearance more logical. We're told that he'll be getting a big new Act II opening number as well.

In today's New York Post, Michael Riedel provides additional details about what's next for the show, most notably that Bono and The Edge are now expected to be fully, hands-on collaborators in the show as well as Bono himself going out to be the new 'face of the musical' for press.

Riedel writes that "With his new, though decidedly B-list, creative team in place, Bono, who with The Edge wrote the score to the musical, is going to "rip the show apart from top to bottom," says a production source. "They're going to start from scratch."

He met with cast and crew backstage last night, and told them the changes that were coming are "in the best interests of the show," said a production source. "Spider-Man," which played its first preview back in November, will likely shut down at the end of April for at least four weeks while undergoing the massive overhaul, production sources say."

A press release also noted that "The additional time commitment required by this new plan will make it impossible for director and co-book writer Julie Taymor to continue on in her day-to-day duties with the production. Philip William McKinley and Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa have joined the creative team to help implement new staging and book rewrites, respectively. McKinley has vast experience directing technically complex productions on Broadway and beyond. Aguirre-Sacasa is both an acclaimed playwright and a noted writer of Spider-Man comic books."

The expanded creative team also includes musical consultant Paul Bogaev (Tarzan, Bombay Dreams, Aida, Sunset Boulevard) and sound designer Peter Hylenski (Elf, Scottsboro Boys, Rock of Ages, Shrek), both of whom have already been working on improving the musical arrangements and sound quality (respectively) over the past few weeks, thereby vastly enhancing the audience experience.

Producers Cohl and Harris said, in a joint statement, "Julie Taymor is not leaving the creative team. Her vision has been at the heart of this production since its inception and will continue to be so. Julie's previous commitments mean that past March 15th, she cannot work the 24/7 necessary to make the changes in the production in order to be ready for our opening. We cannot exaggerate how technically difficult it is to make such changes to a show of this complexity, so it's with great pride that we announce that Phil McKinley is joining the creative team. Phil is hugely experienced with productions of this scale and is exactly what SPIDER-MAN Turn off the Dark needs right now."

Bono and The Edge added, "Julie is a truly gifted and imaginative director. This is an epic ride, and the standing ovations we have seen from the preview audiences have confirmed our absolute faith in the project. We are listening and learning and, as a result, we have a couple of new songs we are very very excited about putting into the mix. All of us on the creative team are committed to taking SPIDER-MAN to the next level. We are confident it will reach its full potential and when it does, it will open."

Read more: Details Revealed on Upcoming SPIDER-MAN Changes; Cast Meeting with Equity 2011/03/10

Just catching up on all the news.

So it looks like they actually did it, huh? What so many people have been calling for here in these threads for the last 5 or 6 months, they've actually sucked it up and decided to change this thing. They finally realized that it just isn't working, that it needs a LOT of changes, and they're going to actually dig in and work on making those changes. Huzzah! And it sounds like Bono was one of the loudest voices in the "Yeahhhh, we need to do something about this stinker of a musical" camp! Good for you, Bono. Go Bono!

Revisions to the much-maligned second act, some new songs, some new dialogue, maybe even some big plot/character changes, etc. More Peter/M.J. stuff, etc. These are nothing but good things This is great news.

It cost them their director in the process but, hey, can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs.

Thanks for the edit with the NY Post info, but ... and I hate to be THAT person, but I'll do it anyway .... is the NY Post a reliable source? Has there been anything straight from anything resembling a horse's mouth in regards to the shake-up?

Edit: Ah, BoMac's post has something horsey. Thanks. No idea what that means re Bono.

If it was written by their theatre critic Michael Reidel, possibly not. Even detractors of the show agree he's had it in for the show from very early on, and it's widely acknowledged he's a huge gossip. Doesn't mean it's false, but it sounds like he embellishes.

You know you've been spending too much time at broadwayworld.com when you can pull up a name and personality profile from memory of a person from an industry you knew virtually nothing about a few months ago. :wink:

But yeah, I agree with Headache's sports analogy from a couple of pages back. She's with the show in name only now, due to contractual and PR considerations.

mama cass said:
here's another article repeating what we already know, but describing some of the upcoming changes... Arachne is being heavily cut for one thing, and the shoe scene too - Headache, you will be pleased!!

Wow... here I thought I was an irrational hater, and they're doing every damn thing I've been suggesting. I'm actually considering suing them for stealing from my posts. I think I at least deserve a production credit :wink:

"Thank you for this Tony. I'd like to thank god, medley, drunken mcguinness and biebso. Couldn't have done it without you."

Bono and The Edge added, "Julie is a truly gifted and imaginative director. This is an epic ride, and the standing ovations we have seen from the preview audiences have confirmed our absolute faith in the project. We are listening and learning and, as a result, we have a couple of new songs we are very very excited about putting into the mix. All of us on the creative team are committed to taking SPIDER-MAN to the next level. We are confident it will reach its full potential and when it does, it will open."

Stockholm Syndrome much? They had better have rad Creative Team name tags or something.

Bono got back from the New Zealand/Aussie tour, took one look at this mess, stood up and said that he's just gonna...

RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISE ABOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE!

SWING THROUGH THE SKIIIIIIIIIIIES ABOOOOOOOOOVE!

When they were recording The Wanderer, if Bono had looked at Johnny Cash and said "In 15 years or so I'm going to be the songwriter and one of the head creative consultants for a Broadway musical about Spiderman," Cash would have smiled, then laughed, and then walked out of the recording booth for good after either punching Bono in the nose or putting his cigarette out in Bono's eye.

This all just makes me want to lie down and take a nap.

Thanks for the additional info/clarification, youse guys. :)

i personally would have thought johnny cash wouldn't have been surprised considering they set his vocal track to the in-game music from a 90s playstation game.

Hey, Drunk Chicken was a home run for them. Why not keep swinging?

i personally would have thought johnny cash wouldn't have been surprised considering they set his vocal track to the in-game music from a 90s playstation game.

Whenever I think of '90s Playstation games, I always think of Crash Bandicoot. That game was the shit. At least when it first came out.

When they were recording The Wanderer, if Bono had looked at Johnny Cash and said "In 15 years or so I'm going to be the songwriter and one of the head creative consultants for a Broadway musical about Spiderman," Cash would have smiled, then laughed, and then walked out of the recording booth for good after either punching Bono in the nose or putting his cigarette out in Bono's eye.

Yeah, because the fly-glasse, leather suited, "ironic", preachy Bono and the ridiculous ZOO TV tour, with upside down Trabants and tons of TV's with a remote control, so we could all watch TV at a concert, was perfectly normal. Yeah, that part is O.K. But helping create an extraordinary vision on Broadway? Ridiculous.

If 'Spiderman-The Musical' was an ironic commentary on something...then that comparison would make sense.

Yeah, because the fly-glasse, leather suited, "ironic", preachy Bono and the ridiculous ZOO TV tour, with upside down Trabants and tons of TV's with a remote control, so we could all watch TV at a concert, was perfectly normal. Yeah, that part is O.K. But helping create an extraordinary vision on Broadway? Ridiculous.

Pretty much, yes.

I'm kind of tempted to go watch it before they shut it down, just for comparison's sake later on when the revamped version opens. That and I'd love to see TV Carpio before Arachne gets cut down, the role might be too much atm but she's super-talented and adorable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom