Spiderman Discussion - Part III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well there hasn't been any indication that Bono's taken any part in the plot writing process or the casting.

if you have been reading the press you will be aware they had brainstorming sessions re. story lines, and Bono was keen for Reeve to come onboard - if i remember correctly he heard him sing via an informal audition (Reeve wasn't an actor, but Taymor wanted him to sing for Bono) and Bono told him "we'll be seeing more of you"... just two things that immediately spring to mind...

Bono and Edge convinced Michael Cohl to pay up, since they had to get someone after the first producer had a stroke.

who knows what really happened,
that may be the public story, perhaps bono guaranteed his investment or even put in the money

Granted, she got the Tony for directing, but wasn't her forte costume design? She won a Tony for her costuming on Lion King. So she directed LK and created fantastic costumes but she didn't write the book or the music. She was the Grand Puppeteer.

On the other hand, Frida had an actual storyline that made sense and I remember it being a pretty good flick. So I give her some points for directing on that one.

All that I'm speculating is that maybe most of her cache comes from her talent for costume design. And maybe she is a capable director. But it might also be true that Bono and Edge's biggest gaffe was letting her co-write this thing.

at least with the Lion King, she had a solid book and music to work with... i definitely think letting her at the script for Spidey was a massive mistake...

yeah i really liked Frida too... Across the Universe was horrific though!

if you have been reading the press you will be aware they had brainstorming sessions re. story lines, and Bono was keen for Reeve to come onboard - if i remember correctly he heard him sing via an informal audition (Reeve wasn't an actor, but Taymor wanted him to sing for Bono) and Bono told him "we'll be seeing more of you"... just two things that immediately spring to mind...

But like Cori said she nixed his sure hit... I think that gives some insight.

I think there's a big difference in "hey listen to the guy we chose" and actually sitting through the casting process.

But like Cori she nixed his sure hit...

Yep, Julie and I nixed it. You can put the blame on me for this fiasco. It'll take the pressure off Bono and Edge. :wink:

(I'm sure you meant "like Cori said," but I didn't actually say that. In case you felt like editing. :) )

But like Cori said she nixed his sure hit... I think that gives some insight.

I think there's a big difference in "hey listen to the guy we chose" and actually sitting through the casting process.

that was part of the casting process - Reeve had not yet been offered the part at that point

and i don't deny that Taymor is a control freak - she is notoriously independent and difficult to work with... she was very definite about rejecting Bono's song... maybe it didn't fit with her vision, or tunnel-vision, perhaps?? but there is creative genius there, there's no denying that...

but i would have hoped Bono and the Edge would have had enough clout to stand up to her... that's why i wonder if they were just really naive in this whole venture, hiring her to direct, write the book, and just let her get on with it... for a start, theatre is her territory and not theirs... and that's why i honestly think Bono and Edge were completely out of their depth... it's just not their field!

also, another HUGE problem is the weak producing - the producers have been truly inept...

that was part of the casting process - Reeve had not yet been offered the part at that point

and i don't deny that Taymor is a control freak - she is notoriously independent and difficult to work with... she was very definite about rejecting Bono's song... maybe it didn't fit with her vision, or tunnel-vision, perhaps?? but there is creative genius there, there's no denying that...

but i would have hoped Bono and the Edge would have had enough clout to stand up to her... that's why i wonder if they were just really naive in this whole venture, hiring her to direct, write the book, and just let her get on with it... for a start, theatre is her territory and not theirs... and that's why i honestly think Bono and Edge were completely out of their depth...

Do we know if Bono listened to other singers for the role, how many?

As far as standing up or being naive we may never know, that's why I think it's a little premature to start spreading the blame.

Do we actually have any idea of what their involvement beyond the music has been? Yeah, Bono's been involved in previews and meetings and whatnot, but we probably won't ever know what his conversations with Julie or anyone else were behind the scenes.

Maybe he and Edge were trying for months to convince her that it was a mess. Maybe they actually believed it was just fine. Maybe beyond the music they haven't actually had much say or pull in the matter (which would surprise me).

Unless we actually know that kind of thing, I don't think we can say how much blame they have, or whether Bono's tossing Julie under the bus.....

I agree. We really know nothing about Bono and Edge's conversations with Julie. I do know 9 people who have seen this play and liked it very much. Six of them went back to see it again and raved some more.
I see it on Saturday. Until then, I won't say it's good or a disaster.

As far as standing up or being naive we may never know, that's why I think it's a little premature to start spreading the blame.

c'mon, can't we even blame them for the weak score at least?? pretty please?? :D

didn't he hear Jim Sturgess ages ago, with Evan Rachel Wood? there would also have been the connections from Across the Universe as well wouldn't there... i remember them all working on the songs together back in the day before they jumped ship... wasn't B-man harping on about how she was this amazing talent, the next big thing?

I agree. We really know nothing about Bono and Edge's conversations with Julie. I do know 9 people who have seen this play and liked it very much. Six of them went back to see it again and raved some more.
I see it on Saturday. Until then, I won't say it's good or a disaster.

is Saturday's show still definitely on, Val??

Easy to say Bono/Edge had nothing to do with the writing, nothing to do with the sets, nothing to do with casting, nothing to do with said cast waking up every day and wondering if today will be the day they meet their maker, and are instead only responsible for the music, but in regards to overall "buck stops here" - they're up there.

:lol: Bono as Spidey, now that's a great mental picture.

Can I complain here that for the 3rd thread in a row Spider-Man is misprinted, :madwife:!!

Has it been announced not? :ohmy:

the official announcement re. the delay, Taymor's rumoured departure and overhaul is expected any time now, and the show is expected to be completely shut down for a few weeks, but i don't know from when...

keeping an eye on the press though... the story is spreading fast...

an article has just appeared on the Guardian this evening:

Tangled web: Director of Spider-Man musical is forced out | Stage | The Guardian

Tangled web: Director of Spider-Man musical is forced out
Cost overruns, technical hang-ups, accidents and bad reviews have apparently seen Julie Taymor asked to leave

Ed Pilkington
guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 9 March 2011 18.02 GMT
Article history

Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark has been plagued with problems since the production started, including accidents to the cast. Photograph: Jacob Cohl/AP

Spider-Man has finally met his match. The Sandman and the Green Goblin never had what it took to bring him down, but cost overruns, technical hang-ups and a panning by critics have done him in on Broadway.

Julie Taymor, the award-winning film and theatre director, has reportedly been forced out of her lead creative role in Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark, the much-delayed and troubled Broadway musical. Several New York media outlets, including the New York Times and Daily News, reported that Taymor's ousting as director was all but settled pending an announcement expected this week. Talks between Taymor and Spider-Man's producers, however, were understood to be continuing over whether she retains some link with the musical.

The New York Times says the key figures behind the show – including its two main producers, Michael Cohl and Jeremiah Harris, as well as Bono and the Edge of U2, who wrote the music and initially brought Taymor on board – have all agreed that it is time for a fresh approach.

At $65m (£40m), Spider-Man is the most expensive musical in history. It has been dogged by difficulties from the start, with several cast members involved in accidents, including an actor who fell 10 metres (35ft), and a series of delays to the show's official opening night. That is set for 15 March but will probably be put back for a sixth time, maybe for as long as three months. A blackout of performances is also anticipated, lasting for up to three weeks at a cost to the producers of more than $1m a night.

Taymor has directed several Hollywood films, including The Tempest, and won a Tony Award for The Lion King on Broadway. She has been criticised during Spider-Man's unhappy run with being over-controlling in her desire to achieve perfection.

The show has been almost universally panned by critics, who have reviewed it despite the ever-receding opening night. The Guardian's Hadley Freeman concluded that "the actors have the look of the orchestra aboard the Titanic, valiantly doing their best though they know this ship is going down".

Easy to say Bono/Edge had nothing to do with the writing, nothing to do with the sets, nothing to do with casting, nothing to do with said cast waking up every day and wondering if today will be the day they meet their maker, and are instead only responsible for the music, but in regards to overall "buck stops here" - they're up there.

:up:

it's like someone on Broadway World posted, evidently Taymor couldn't have been "the boss" as she could not have been fired, so who is the boss? and where have they been all this time??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom