Spider-Man 2.0 discussion...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
re: Bono's ego.

i think it's less to do with Bono walking around saying how great he is, and more that Bono has always had an air of self-importance about himself, that what he says and does (and, by extension, U2 as well) is automatically important as well..
so it's less about him being a cocky asshole that no one can stand and more about him being so convinced of his self-importance (to us, to art, to culture, to now) that created the myth of his own ego...

Great points you are making. Yep it's his confidence that he projects in all he does, that can be interpreted as egotistical. Again, I think he difuses it with humor most times, thus making him quite likeable in my eyes. He is always making fun of himself and honestly I just don't think that the band would have held together for all this time if his ego was as big as people say it is.
It's just not possible. Part of U2's success is the projection and stage persona of a bad ass front man and naturally that attitude and swagger will spill in to life off-stage if one does not know the man under the leather and shades. And again, I don't know him, but I have seen how he handles himself around others in public and the fact that he is highly respected by his own peers speaks volumes about who he really is as well.

[

:down:

I'm not sure what reviews you are reading, but the reviews I've read state the score is fantastic. In fact, those that maybe gave the play an overall so-so review still state the score is fantastic.

Second, U2 are artists. It is natural for artists to want to expand beyond their one area.

Numerous artists have recorded music, produced, directed, acted, etc. These include Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis, Jr., Peter Lawford, and Joey Bishop (the "Rat Pack") who sang, performed in movies and appeared on stage in comedy bits, not to mention TV shows. The Beatles were on TV and in movies. The Monkees may have been a made up group, but they still wrote, sang, acted, etc. Madonna has been in movies as has Michael Jackson. Debbie Gibson. Mark Wahlberg. And many actors perform in plays when not doing movies. These include Matt Damon and Julia Roberts. Many actors want to sing in movies and some want to direct. So for you to limit U2 to something that only YOU want them to do comes across as very "limiting".

Well...I don't care what other artists or actors did...?

Indeed it's what I want that U2 does, that's why it's my opinion, haha. U2 are free to do what they want... I just don't like this whole musical-thing and I don't like that it delays U2 projects... respect for Larry and Adam who had to deal with this...

The answer to the 'Why Spiderman?' question is easy: $$$$$$$$$$

Who though it was a good idea? People who were only thinking in $$$$$$$$

Pretty dumb and easy response, this. I'm not a big fan of the topic selection, but this was a project that had ambition and risk written all over it; it was never supposed to be a safe-playing cash cow. Of course you have to sell the investors for the cash - $$$ is a part of everything. And the initial Taymor version was FAR from a "mainstream", kiddy-lite show - too bad the execution sucked. I'm just so tired of this "$$$$" BS talk.

That said, I'm not a huge fan of the songs, aside from a couple (Pull the Trigger/Picture This/Freak Like Me/DIY World), but Broadway songs have to be immediately accessible - most people would only listen to them once.

Hypocrisy

It was hypocritical of the boys to blame Taymor for her mistakes and then turn around and tell Brian Williams that if critics don't like their soundtrack...then they are just trying to make a name for themselves....especially when it is mostly rehashed U2 ideas.

Thanks VP, cool link!

mixed reviews, that's not bad and pretty normal really, but disturbing that the score is still getting universally panned...

With Taymor and her team out (but duly credited), new book writer Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa, choreographer Chase Brock and "creative consultant" Philip Wm. McKinley have made a dumbed-down spectacle that sets the bar low and reaches it

ouch

yes defenitly!

According to the website for The Tonight Show With Jay Leno, Bono and The Edge, two days after U2's concerts in Anaheim, will appear as guests on the show next Monday, June 20, and will also be the musical act, performing a song from Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark.

from @u2

oh my god, how long are Bono and Edge going to be plugging this thing for? it's opened now, let it find its own feet and sink or swim, they're already a laughing stock and the butt of jokes, it's so depressing! enough is enough!

Who's to say?

I'm sure those outside of Broadway and U2 fandom are actually a little bit confused. Is it on, is it not? So a little reminder through a mainstream medium couldn't hurt.

Honestly what have they done this time around? AI and Brian Williams? Is that it?

Positive publicity though?

And you have to remember who their target market really is.

Would be interesting if they have canned this appearance. If so, they must have been expecting it to be off the back of a good opening and good reviews. It wouldn't be stupid for them to stop fighting, let it go for a bit publicity wise, and then promote once the negativity has died down.

Seriously, the kind of people who will push this over into a success are not reading reviews, and their perception of it would only currently be guided by it's failure being a bit of a wider pop-culture moment. For that market, it's not the New York Times review that is really hurting it, but the never ending late night host jokes and Sesame Street skits and that sort of thing that's really stinging it. It will be easy to manipulate that perception of it later on once the extreme heat is off. If they give it a little while, and then just act like it's really awesome and it's going really awesome, that will probably work well enough on Mr and Mrs Joe Average from Ohio when they're looking at their few days trip to New York and they (and more importantly, their kids) are trying to decide between Shrek and Spiderman or something.

So Leno is a good stop for them, but maybe not right now. If they have canceled, I guess they genuinely didn't expect anything but positive reviews... ouch.

Bono and Edge pleaded with the producers to invest huge money into this thing. They probably feel obligated, if not contractually obligated to promote this as best they can.

I, for one, don't really mind the jokes. Most of them are about technical issues, which no longer plague the show. Enough critics liked enough of the show to assemble a pretty impressive lineup of blurbs: Spider-Man on Broadway - Official Site

And audiences seem to love it. Don't run from it, Bono and Edge. Promote it! There's a lot to be proud of here.

the jokes and jibes do bother me though because people are not laughing with them, they're really laughing at them, and it gets a bit wearing after a while... they must be incredibly thick-skinned...

So Leno is a good stop for them, but maybe not right now. If they have canceled, I guess they genuinely didn't expect anything but positive reviews... ouch.

i think they've kind of got themselves into a corner re. the reviews - after the wave of negative reviews last time round, they came out and said they agreed with the reviews, fired Taymor and went on to rework the show...

but this time round...?

Who's to say?

I'm sure those outside of Broadway and U2 fandom are actually a little bit confused. Is it on, is it not? So a little reminder through a mainstream medium couldn't hurt.

Honestly what have they done this time around? AI and Brian Williams? Is that it?

Sesame Street

Back
Top Bottom