Spider-Man 2.0 discussion...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
no Tony nominations for Boner and The Ledge.

good.

they should spend that time prepping the DM album in June and sitting in the corner facing the wall and thinking about what they've done.

I saw the Spiderman show Thursday night and loved Loved LOVED it. So gorgeous and so much fun. I loved all the little U2 references they slipped in there. Loved the beginning when they tell the story of Arachne and weave the material, that was just amazing. Green Goblin is hilarious. I don't know why it's been disparaged so, it's really wonderful. I was there to have fun though, I'm not a connissure of musical theater. Everybody seemed to enjoy it, it didn't seem like a "U2 crowd" but there was a good vibe in the audience. And all those Spidermen are RIPPED. Yowsa. Great eye candy.

Professional thespian friend who likes U2 but not a a hardcore fan saw a certain play in New York & posted this:

Yeah, okay, I know I should sniff and turn up my nose at Spiderman: Turn Off the Dark but...I had a freakin' blast! Very cool to take Gus [his son] to his first Broadway show.

So I asked: How was the music?
His reply: Both Jen [his wife] and I enjoyed most of the music. A couple of pieces were terrific

no Tony nominations for Boner and The Ledge.

good.

they should spend that time prepping the DM album in June and sitting in the corner facing the wall and thinking about what they've done.

You mean they should continue counting all the $ this show seems to be making each week? Hate it or not, it's a hit. Yeah, it has a way to catch up to production costs (so do most movies), but it seems to be working.

If anything, this should worry you. While U2 has shown some sheer brilliance this past decade, some mediocrity - at least by U2 standards - has been very profitable for them.

He didn't mention how long it would run in Vegas. He was hypothesizing that the show in New York could run where it is for that long.

And for the record, Spider-Man's take is up to $167,555,706. Not the biggest of all time by any means, but certainly not too shabby. Who knows how long it'll stay on Broadway, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it hit $300 million.

As for the idea of playing an arena in Vegas, sounds like they're closing in on figuring it out. They probably should have been playing in arenas since the start.

That really doesn't sound like the "failure" that most media wanted it to be :up:

In the latest reports and interviews it is mentioned that the musical could also come to Germany. I'd certainly go and see it if it played anywhere near me in Europe. I'm not a big musical fan in particular, but I'm quite interested to see with my own eyes what all this fuss is about :wink:

It's fitting that the theatre is in Times Square, cause it's nothing more than a tourist trap. The Olive Garden in Times Square does amazing business, too. Doesn't mean that's where you should eat.

Which is fine and all, and serves a purpose... but if you're visiting New York and want to see a show, unless you're bringing your kids, you shouldn't waste your money on it just because Bono and The Edge are involved. There are far better shows to go to.

But hey... whatever you want to spend your money on.

It's fitting that the theatre is in Times Square, cause it's nothing more than a tourist trap. The Olive Garden in Times Square does amazing business, too. Doesn't mean that's where you should eat.

Which is fine and all, and serves a purpose... but if you're visiting New York and want to see a show, unless you're bringing your kids, you shouldn't waste your money on it just because Bono and The Edge are involved. There are far better shows to go to.

But hey... whatever you want to spend your money on.

While your Olive Garden comment is valid, this is Broadway. One could see a plethora of shows. And while people on this website may be inspired to see the show because of Bono and Edge's involvement, I guarantee you that the vast majority are seeing this simply because it's Spider-Man! All of those Cirque de Soliel shows do great business in Vegas, and after having seen a few of them, I felt they were horrid too. But I'm not seeing them for a story - I'm seeing them to watch the grace and beauty of the actors as they dance and perform amazing stunts on stage. Same here.

If this show were really so wretched as some of you claim, I doubt the business would be so strong. You didn't like it - got it. Quit trying to convince everyone else of your views.

Back
Top Bottom