Spider-Man 2.0 discussion...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/14/t...ack-story.html?_r=1&smid=tw-nytimes&seid=auto

said they originally embraced Julie Taymor’s script and characters for the show but were wholly ill-prepared for putting her ambitious ideas onstage. They ultimately lost faith in her and quietly maneuvered to overhaul “Spider-Man,” before finally shocking Ms. Taymor, their longtime collaborator, with her ouster in March.

So they DID throw her under the bus! Gotta do what ya gotta do.

Also, this earns a :doh: Even now, Bono and the Edge said, the musical is just 90 percent complete, with a final 10 percent of work — in their view, chiefly involving the relationship between Peter Parker and the villain, the Green Goblin — to be done this summer.

STILL not completely done, despite being supposedly past previews and opening tomorrow. Awesome. Maybe it's not that unusual for there still to be tinkering after the official opening, but at this point in the Spiderman story ... sheesh.

But it's a really interesting read. Will be curious in the future to hear Julie's version of this story.

How can it only be 90% complete? Thought the premiere was 6/14. Did I miss something?

No kidding. I'm hoping someone with better Broadway knowledge can come and clarify if that's not actually that unusual, for there to still be tinkering after an official opening.

No kidding. I'm hoping someone with better Broadway knowledge can come and clarify if that's not actually that unusual, for there to still be tinkering after an official opening.

Were there a second set of previews(for the reboot), I'm not even sure where we are anymore with this rollercoaster ride, lol.

I think Bono and Edge are too used to being able to tinker with a tour as you go...

Although I wonder if they just mean dialouge scenes? No new songs per se just tweeking some scenes.

Who knows...

Yeah, there were a second set of previews, but isn't the official opening tomorrow? This is a new article - when they say "this summer" for the tweaking of the 10%, it reads to me like they're going to keep messing with it beyond the opening.

they have to be relieved that they're basically done with this now, no? sort of sounds that way.

Cool photo! :)

nightlynewsbonoedgespidermansm6-13-2011.jpg

It's publicity. Any publicity is good publicity they say...

Plus I bet this show breaks every record in sales just because people are so curious about it and there is that "danger" element of
spidey flying through the air over the audience. I guarantee you seats will be full! Especially with B and E involved.

That article was very interesting.... I kind of thought they had a falling out with Julie.
Did see that a union is suiing the show's producers on her behalf for royalites? Yikes.

I can't believe she asked them to cancel part of the tour to work on the show:ohmy: like that would go over well. What a mess.

Larry must have been giving them crap about this....thus the
"we should be working on a U2 album" comment or something like that at the Billboard awards and Bono's own remarks about his ideas, "some are better than others" even in jest, I agree and ya they were kidding around I know..
Poor guys, no wonder they need a break from everything. This show and the finish line of the tour can't come soon enough I bet for them! They must be exhausted.

It's publicity. Any publicity is good publicity they say...

Plus I bet this show breaks every record in sales just because people are so curious about it and there is that "danger" element of
spidey flying through the air over the audience. I guarantee you seats will be full! Especially with B and E involved.

That article was very interesting.... I kind of thought they had a falling out with Julie.
Did see that a union is suiing the show's producers on her behalf for royalites? Yikes.

I can't believe she asked them to cancel part of the tour to work on the show:ohmy: like that would go over well. What a mess.

Larry must have been giving them crap about this....thus the
"we should be working on a U2 album" comment or something like that at the Billboard awards and Bono's own remarks about his ideas, "some are better than others" even in jest, I agree and ya they were kidding around I know..
Poor guys, no wonder they need a break from everything. This show and the finish line of the tour can't come soon enough I bet for them! They must be exhausted.

She actually wanted them to cancel the tour? What balls she has. Maybe Bono had Larry call her on the phone and "encourage" her to give it up.

B: Hey Larry, this is Bono.. umm Julie wants us to cancel a bunch of shows to work on Spiderman

L: What. The Fuck. Put her on. NOW

So they DID throw her under the bus! Gotta do what ya gotta do.

absolutely. B&E are professionals, they know they have a job to do, and occasionally heads have to roll for the greater good. you don't survive in this business for 35 years on talent and luck alone.

and, in all fairness, it also sounds like Julie really *was* the problem.

B: Hey Larry, this is Bono.. umm Julie wants us to cancel a bunch of shows to work on Spiderman

I imagine Bono and Edge laughed long and hard at the mere suggestion and then turned back to Julie and said, wiping tears of laughter from their eyes "No, seriously. What are we going to do to fix this?"

normally, in theatre world, the tinkering takes place at the writing and rehearsal stages... the final product should be signed, sealed and in the bag at the tech and dress rehearsals, before preview... previews are just to iron out any unforeseen kinks that may crop up in the running of things and to make the final product nice and slick for opening night, but content, no, that should have been sorted long long ago... so yeah, Spidey has broken just about every rule in the book lol :D

and, in all fairness, it also sounds like Julie really *was* the problem.

she was indeed, though not helped by the fact that Bono and Edge were total Broadway novices obviously and were out of their depth, and the weak producers (probably the root of the problems in my opinion, like i've said before) - they should never have let Taymor have free rein with the whole thing, script, visuals and direction - visuals, ok, but she certainly is no writer... and her recent directing work has become increasingly shaky... Lion King only worked because producers kept her on a tight leash and the story was already set in stone...

oof anyway, hope it all goes well with opening night tonight! good luck to all the cast and crew!! break a leg! uh i mean don't! :heart:

She actually wanted them to cancel the tour? What balls she has. Maybe Bono had Larry call her on the phone and "encourage" her to give it up.

:lol: I love me some Larry. :heart: He totally said that. :wink:

Two things about the Spiderman fiasco. One, the soundtrack is great. Two, it is a work in progress like everything else on this planet.

Yes, listened to the whole thing this morning. I love it.

They had a blurb about it on NPR this morning, and interestingly, Bono and Edge were NOT the focus. The directors/producers were. B&E of course got a mention, but it was mostly about the revamp.

Refreshing to hear it from a non-B&E focus.

Bono & Edge could walk away in shame if they didn't do what they were expected. But they contributed a great piece of music and presumably brought some 'show-man' sensibilities to Broadway. BTW, the press will push many a U2 fan to Broadway.

Broadway people can learn from them and vice versa. Their other job is playing in front of stadiums. So WTF?

They do this type of name branding in Golf all the time. Get a high profile person to be a front for a course. And it works!

Back
Top Bottom