Songs that don't got better live

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pride is the glaring example. On Vertigo, Edge seemed to actually get the guitar right and I'd say Pride was the best it has been since the mid-eighties.

Oh, and some songs NOWADAYS are much weaker than their studio version, e.g. WOWY and SBS, but in their prime were absolute U2 live classics. Very little can top WOWY 1987-1992, or the Fuck The Revolution performance of SBS. But WOWY never should have been played since 1993. It's so lacklustre now, especially when Bono doesn't add Shine Like Stars.

I semi-agree.

WOWY often did NOT have the "Shine like Stars" bit on ZOO TV. In fact, it often ended rather abruptly as if it was the radio performance. No extended ending - just done. I was wildly disappointed in the WOWY versions I heard in person and on boots during ZOO TV. Hence, I would say the JT and Lovetown Tours of WOWY were the best. Some exceptions came with the Elevation and 360 Tours. Vocally, the 360 tour has Bono signing this song his best since the early 90's. Therefore, I'd argue the 360 version of WOWY is second best to the '87-'90 era. But on the Vertigo tour, the song sucked - it was as if they had zero desire to ever play it again.

SBS does need the passion. However, I'm actually glad there isn't quite as much reason to sing the song (at least it's original meaning) any more.

I've always been disappointed in "Pride" live. Even on R&H it lacks the power of the studio recording. I've heard UF era boots and the same is true. They captured some magic in the studio while recording it.

"Vertigo" also sounds a bit off live. U2 try so hard to make that song soar, but something is just off. Some energy isn't quite there.

Overall, though, I've enjoyed the live versions more - especially when they are new. The extra verses to songs like WOWY, "Mysterious Ways", "One", etc. often made them stand out. And sometimes Bono's vocals are even better than the studio version and the band really comes alive with the crowd.

It's for this reason that I wish U2 had a Sirius Satellite station like Springsteen and Pearl Jam. Not only do those stations play all the studio, b-sides and rarities, but a lot of live material. If U2 could just "let go" and let the oceans of recorded material they did live be played, they could fill up years worth of music. :) Fans can accept mistakes. It's those mistakes and impromptu speeches and whatnot that makes the performances all the more special. U2 is missing out on a cash cow, IMO, by not having a Sirius station.

I semi-agree.

WOWY often did NOT have the "Shine like Stars" bit on ZOO TV. In fact, it often ended rather abruptly as if it was the radio performance. No extended ending - just done. I was wildly disappointed in the WOWY versions I heard in person and on boots during ZOO TV. Hence, I would say the JT and Lovetown Tours of WOWY were the best. Some exceptions came with the Elevation and 360 Tours. Vocally, the 360 tour has Bono signing this song his best since the early 90's. Therefore, I'd argue the 360 version of WOWY is second best to the '87-'90 era. But on the Vertigo tour, the song sucked - it was as if they had zero desire to ever play it again.

SBS does need the passion. However, I'm actually glad there isn't quite as much reason to sing the song (at least it's original meaning) any more.

I've always been disappointed in "Pride" live. Even on R&H it lacks the power of the studio recording. I've heard UF era boots and the same is true. They captured some magic in the studio while recording it.

"Vertigo" also sounds a bit off live. U2 try so hard to make that song soar, but something is just off. Some energy isn't quite there.

Overall, though, I've enjoyed the live versions more - especially when they are new. The extra verses to songs like WOWY, "Mysterious Ways", "One", etc. often made them stand out. And sometimes Bono's vocals are even better than the studio version and the band really comes alive with the crowd.

It's for this reason that I wish U2 had a Sirius Satellite station like Springsteen and Pearl Jam. Not only do those stations play all the studio, b-sides and rarities, but a lot of live material. If U2 could just "let go" and let the oceans of recorded material they did live be played, they could fill up years worth of music. :) Fans can accept mistakes. It's those mistakes and impromptu speeches and whatnot that makes the performances all the more special. U2 is missing out on a cash cow, IMO, by not having a Sirius station.

I love the live versions of WOWY from the JT era...but man, there are some amazing performances of that song during Elevation, which i thought was by far the best of the three 00's tours. The band played like they had something to prove, because they did. I'd put the Elevation shows I saw up there with any of the other U2 shows I saw any day. Different than JT and ZOOTV, to be sure, but that tour was just as vital in its own way.

On the other hand, I thought the Vertigo and 360 WOWY (along with One) were both pretty prosaic.

Zooropa - Even with the much improved live-version we saw on 360 the studio version is still superior, and still one of U2's best studio recordings IMO.

Magnificent - I've never really liked it played live. It works better in studio, I think, although it feels like a song that shouldn't.

Moment of Surrender - They've been close a few times, but not quite there. It's all about Bono's vocals. The studio version is amazing.

And for those who think Mysterious Ways is better in studio:
u2-mysterious ways-zoo tv - YouTube
5:02-5:41 Come on...I know you like it. :wink:

Moment of Surrender - They've been close a few times, but not quite there. It's all about Bono's vocals. The studio version is amazing.

Agree. Again, to me, the lack of the slow buildup, and the inability to recreate the atmospherics of the album version make the live version just as step behind. But the WAIE version comes pretty damn close, and what makes MOS live special to me is the still fresh memory of being there in that milky way of lights.

From songs I've actually seen performed live:

Pride
WOWY
Running to Stand Still
New Years Day
New York
Vertigo
The Unforgettable Fire

WHAT? I guess it's personal taste, but New Year's Day is one of their BEST live songs in my opinion. Popmart Mexico version :love:.

LOL, that's why I said on the basis of songs I've seen performed live :wink: I love that Popmart version, too. But I've seen the song performed 4 times (1 Elevation, 3 Vertigo), and only one of the performances genuinely rocked.

LOL, that's why I said on the basis of songs I've seen performed live :wink: I love that Popmart version, too. But I've seen the song performed 4 times (1 Elevation, 3 Vertigo), and only one of the performances genuinely rocked.
OK, I didn't exactly pick up on that. I do agree it's lost some of its luster in recent years. Was the version that rocked on Elevation? I think the Slane Castle version is pretty damned great.

OK, I didn't exactly pick up on that. I do agree it's lost some of its luster in recent years. Was the version that rocked on Elevation? I think the Slane Castle version is pretty damned great.

Actually, the first performance I ever saw (Elevation), Bono's voice shut down. "Say it's true, it's true, and we can BRAKKK" *voice dies* :lol:

Chicago 1 on the Vertigo Tour, I thought, was the best performance I've seen. He seemed to really throw himself into it, and it saved a show that was going downhill fast.

Oh shit, NOW I see it! :lol:

At least they got it up there for the second run through!

:D It's hilarious how many people do not notice it.

I was on Edge's side, back rail. It was incredibly hilarious to see. Dallas nearly FELL off the stairs to the underworld when Edge shouted through his mic. :lol: He probably forgot that his mic was switched on the PA for the backing vocals. Bono looked around and giggled, and they just extended the intro until Dallas got the piano up. It's great to see that they can improvise, as they don't do that often. :D

New Years Day, Elevation, Slane...

"Maybe just once (dons Irish flag)...just once...close your eyes and imagine...it's Jason McAtter!!!"

Chills. Single best version of NYD.

Come to think of it, Elevation tour has the best live version of several songs.

:D It's hilarious how many people do not notice it.

I was on Edge's side, back rail. It was incredibly hilarious to see. Dallas nearly FELL off the stairs to the underworld when Edge shouted through his mic. :lol: He probably forgot that his mic was switched on the PA for the backing vocals. Bono looked around and giggled, and they just extended the intro until Dallas got the piano up. It's great to see that they can improvise, as they don't do that often. :D
Well it's hidden in the back of the stage, and you don't really look for it on a video. That's pretty damned hilarious, how do you forget that? Didn't someone realize the piano was right next to them when New Year's Day started?

Come to think of it, Elevation tour has the best live version of a lot of songs.
Elevation is my favorite era from them live, closely followed by ZooTV. I have 13 out of 20 tracks from the Slane Castle DVD on my iPod.

Poor Workhorse Dallas.

Wait, did Edge use a piano for Miss Sarajevo on the last leg of 360? (I'm always on Adam's side. I can't see a thing during MS)

Elevation is my favorite era from them live, closely followed by ZooTV. I have 13 out of 20 tracks from the Slane Castle DVD on my iPod.

Yeah...I have both the Slane and Boston shows on my iPod. The Slane show is better IMO, but the Boston Streets is the single best performance of Streets I've ever heard.

I don't know man, they were just on fire that tour...really wanted to show the world they still had it. The switched to cruise control on Vertigo, and went gigantic on 360. It seems like fait accompli now, but people don't remember that U2's big comeback was nowhere near assured when ATYCLB came out...they had to work for it, and those Elevation concerts show a band working their collective asses off.

Moreover, they were tight...they were just better musicians than they were on previous tours. I'm not saying it was their "best" tour...that's all subjective...but I'd put Elevation right up there w/Joshua Tree and ZOOTV, and definitely ahead of Pop, Vertigo or 360. I won't compare it to pre-JT stuff, that's really apples and oranges (my first show was TUF), and I still think Lovetown was probably their best tour ever. But I can listen to those Elevation tour tracks anytime and not get bored.

WHAT? I guess it's personal taste, but New Year's Day is one of their BEST live songs in my opinion. Popmart Mexico version :love:.

Corrected. :) Now THAT I can agree with.

Yeah...I have both the Slane and Boston shows on my iPod. The Slane show is better IMO, but the Boston Streets is the single best performance of Streets I've ever heard.

I don't know man, they were just on fire that tour...really wanted to show the world they still had it. The switched to cruise control on Vertigo, and went gigantic on 360. It seems like fait accompli now, but people don't remember that U2's big comeback was nowhere near assured when ATYCLB came out...they had to work for it, and those Elevation concerts show a band working their collective asses off.

Moreover, they were tight...they were just better musicians than they were on previous tours. I'm not saying it was their "best" tour...that's all subjective...but I'd put Elevation right up there w/Joshua Tree and ZOOTV, and definitely ahead of Pop, Vertigo or 360. I won't compare it to pre-JT stuff, that's really apples and oranges (my first show was TUF), and I still think Lovetown was probably their best tour ever. But I can listen to those Elevation tour tracks anytime and not get bored.
The Slane show is better for sure, but I'd say the Slane version of Streets is better than Boston. Granted, Boston is great, and they're about the same musically, but I like the Slane version better.

Walk On from both concerts is fantastic in their own way (Slane is more perfect musically, but Boston has more passion).

I agree that they sounded tight. It was musically fantastic. Everything from the tour is awesome. Vertigo was mediocre to me for the most part. The final Aussie/Hawaii/Japan/New Zealand was awesome, though. I wish it was more documented. 360 was great. I like how it was pretty much 3 different mini-tours, between 2009, 2010, and 2011.

I could listen to this performance forever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyC3E8mt3JQ

The Slane show is better for sure, but I'd say the Slane version of Streets is better than Boston. Granted, Boston is great, and they're about the same musically, but I like the Slane version better.

Walk On from both concerts is fantastic in their own way (Slane is more perfect musically, but Boston has more passion).

I agree that they sounded tight. It was musically fantastic. Everything from the tour is awesome. Vertigo was mediocre to me for the most part. The final Aussie/Hawaii/Japan/New Zealand was awesome, though. I wish it was more documented. 360 was great. I like how it was pretty much 3 different mini-tours, between 2009, 2010, and 2011.

Agree that 360 is superior to Vertigo, by a long shot...I saw two shows (both from the same leg, unfortunately) and thoroughly enjoyed both. It would be nice to have some of those shows on video or audio...unfortunately it sounds like this live fan club CD is just going to end up being more of the same.

Walk On...Slane...the ending makes it...didn't even need to play your video, I know it well..."Spirit is in the house...." Chills.

Agree that 360 is superior to Vertigo, by a long shot...I saw two shows (both from the same leg, unfortunately) and thoroughly enjoyed both. It would be nice to have some of those shows on video or audio...unfortunately it sounds like this live fan club CD is just going to end up being more of the same.
'Twas expected, I think. At least we will get some rarities, but we want ALL of them. Oh well, while I love the rarities, I always end up going back to the common ones (Streets, The Fly, One, Walk On, UTEOTW). That still doesn't justify it. :angry:
Walk On...Slane...the ending makes it...didn't even need to play your video, I know it well..."Spirit is in the house...." Chills.
Yes... beautiful. It pains me how they ruined it on 360. It sounded sooooo much better on Elevation for the following reasons:

1.) Lower key made it sound better IMO
2.) 2 guitars
3.) No political onslaught
4.) Edge had a better tone

That's hilarious. "PIANO!" :lol:

Lucky his mic hadn't been turned on yet when he started: "Where is the goddamn...." :wink:

I like when his mic's turned on when stuff like this happens!

If it wasn't turned on in between songs, we wouldn't have the brilliant, "Oh for fuck's sake" before One Tree Hill in Chicago :lol:

Well it's hidden in the back of the stage, and you don't really look for it on a video. That's pretty damned hilarious, how do you forget that? Didn't someone realize the piano was right next to them when New Year's Day started?

:lol: Well Dallas was busy giving Edge his guitar. Usually the piano is up by then. we did check and the next shows the piano was up there before U2 even got near the stage. :wink: They do not want the same mistake again there. It was hilarious.

Poor Workhorse Dallas.

Wait, did Edge use a piano for Miss Sarajevo on the last leg of 360? (I'm always on Adam's side. I can't see a thing during MS)

Yeah they did. ;) I'm usually on Edge's side to keep an eye on Dallas. That way I can easily figure out what the next song is, and if it's a surprise I can film it.

I like when his mic's turned on when stuff like this happens!

If it wasn't turned on in between songs, we wouldn't have the brilliant, "Oh for fuck's sake" before One Tree Hill in Chicago :lol:

LOL, hadn't seen that one yet.

Edge: *fumbling about with the riff like it's the first time he's ever tried to play the song*
Bono: Edge looks real confident.
Edge: oh for fuck's sake!

:laugh:

Back
Top Bottom