Something really bugging me about Ultra Violet...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
one of the best u2 songs ever! this song live is amazing...watch the youtube clips of it. especially like bono at the end "lllllliiiggghhhhhhht mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmyyyy wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy".

Just thought I'd post this. My favorite performance of UV :love:

YouTube - U2 Help/Ultraviolet live from Dublin Zoo TV 1993

Enjoy. :drool: :drool:

There is absolutely no way that's not "ultraviolet light" he's singing at about 3:19. It's two separate words with a noticeable pause in between. You can also clearly hear a "L" sound on that second word. The only conceivable way it could be just "ultraviolet" is if he said the "let" twice, and let's face it, "ultravioletLEEEEETTTTT" makes no sense at all.

I have to agree with everyone who has leaned towards the long single "Ultravioleeeeeeet". That's what I always heard. The "ultraviolet light" was news to me when I read this thread and even in the performance that was posted I just don't hear it at all.

:up:

There is absolutely no way that's not "ultraviolet light" he's singing at about 3:19. It's two separate words with a noticeable pause in between. You can also clearly hear a "L" sound on that second word. The only conceivable way it could be just "ultraviolet" is if he said the "let" twice, and let's face it, "ultravioletLEEEEETTTTT" makes no sense at all.

But Bono also has said he's ready for the ball and bat and the acrobat live during Zoo Station. Live performances can include ad-libbing. I hold no arguments as to what they're saying live. But over the last few days I've listened to Ultaviolet perhaps a dozen times, just trying to hear anything but "Ultraviyoleeeeehhhht." And I've come up empty, for the album.

I listened to several performances (as well as the album). Stockholm, Washington, Dublin - the last one with the fantastic sound recording sealed the deal for me. Assuming Edge doesn't mess around with his back vocals in live shows, I think it's safe to say he's singing the same thing album and live.

It's clearly one word, no gap. The ultraviolet bit wouldn't sound nearly as clear had he crammed a quick "ultraviolet" and then stretched the "liiiight" bit - which would also be harder to sing IMO. And that long sound is (ultravio)"leeet", not "liiight".

seeing MacPhisto on stage is like seeing a god, or an alien, or something completely other-worldly. it's completely remarkable what a shiny gold suit, some makeup, and great acting can do. MacPhisto is a deity. every fleeting glimpse, every shaky camera shot, every split second of that video that he's in totally gives me shivers and makes my heart skip. how great would it have been to see that live :up:

also, it's 200% just 'ultraviolet.' i don't know what you guys are hearing. there are 2 'L' sounds that Edge makes during that part -- "ul" and "leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet". that's it. the big 'let' is completely uninterrupted.

Okay, I will admit that when I first got into this song, I thought he was saying "Won't you light my waaaaaay?" :rolleyes:

Anyway, after a while, I was torn between whether he was saying "Ultra-vi-oh-leeet" and "Ultravi-let looove". After many more multiple listens with awesome headphones, to both live and studio versions, the former is definitely not the case. "Ultravi-let" (without the extra "oh" sound) is clear, the second word is fuzzier. I still hear "looove", though it could be either, and both would make sense... though "looove" is more poetic and less concrete than "liiight" (remember, her love is the lightbulb, and thus ultraviolet :wink:) Listening hard, the vowel in the second word sounds softer, like an O, not sharper like an I. Plus I don't hear any T on the end of it, which would also be sharper and more distinguished than the V sound of "love", which would more easily blend in with the other letters enough to be indistinguishable.

Actually, listening to the ZooTV Washington performance Unknown Caller posted, the closest I hear to "ultraviolet light" is "ultraviolet lead" (as in the toxic metal) :lol:

Anyway. They SERIOUSLY need to bring this song back live. Drop Pride and give us some Ultraviolet!

Anyway, if there is a second word, and it's not just ultraviolet, the second word doesn't have an ai sound (so you can forget "babe" or "ray") or an eye sound (so you can forget "light"). It has an et (as in "get") sound, so if it begins with the letter L, then it would have to be "Ultravilet-led"/"Ultravilet-lead" (lead being lead like plumbum, the element, and not being like lead like Edge plays lead guitar) or "Ultravilet-let". And none of those options make one flying fuck of sense.

this is SO frustrating. i only ONE 'T' sound that Edge sings. it's at the end of 'ultravioleeeeeet'. that word does NOT end.

I agree. It is frustrating to listen for something, not hear it, know it's not there, and have people simply tell you to listen harder. Don't worry, though. This isn't subjective. It is not "Ultravilet-light/ray/babe/etc."

This thread is cracking me up. I was 200% sure it was just "ultraviolet," then listened very closely and heard "ultraviolet light," and now all those who say it's just "ultraviolet" have me doubting what I heard the other day!

:lol:

This isn't subjective.

Apparently, it is, because I think you're an idiot.

The album versions are fuzzier, but on the live versions, just watch Edge's mouth. It's so blatantly obvious that he's singing two separate words. The second word is a bit tricky to decipher, but it ain't an extension of ultraviolet.

I'm pretty positive he's singing two words as well. Ultra-violet is clear. The T sound is obvious. Not pronouncing the O. Four syllables. Then a second word. Which I always thought was "love"

The second night was broadcast on the radio all over the world, and there are several perfect-sounding bootlegs of that broadcast (seriously... they sound as good as the Sydney DVD, if not better), merged together into one master that I carry around on my iPod. Possibly the best bootleg that exists. There's also something like a three-camera (amateur) video floating around on various torrent trackers (try trader's den), as well as possibly U2Start.

Unfortunately, it's all banned on U2Torrents... BTBS and LIB from that show were on the Stay single, so it's "official material".

I have the audio from both shows, I just didn't know there was a video around!

The Dublin footage and sound from 3:20 through to 3:35 is the most blatant "Ultravioleeeeeeeeeeeeetttt" - certainly in this version it is hard to argue the case for Ultraviolet Light

I've been doing just that for the past couple of pages. :wink: It's quite clearly Ultraviolet light/love.

I've never heard it as anything other than Ultraviolet Love. I don't care if it turns out he is saying something different - in my head it will always be Ultraviolet Loooove.

Ok, now as you know, if you read my Opinion Of A Young Teenage Fan topic a week back, I absolutely adore Ultra Violet.

However, one thing about it is really annoying me. Y'know the bit where Bono is doing his falsetto thingy, and Edge is saying SOMETHING that sounds like "oh to brighter days" or w/e, well its not listed on ANY of the dozen lyrics sights I checked. Any of you U2 boffins here know the lyrics?

Yeah, that IS annoying. I had no idea what he or The Edge was saying.

Back
Top Bottom