Something magical about U2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2009, 07:23 PM   #1
Refugee

Location: Interference is called Interference because it interferes on my ability to live a normal life...
Local Time: 04:37 AM
Something magical about U2

I just wondered if anyone else on this forum have a similar experience with U2.

I am now 18 years old and am a U2 fanatic. About 8 years ago I started listening to U2. I was told that based on my music taste I might like a song called "Mysterious ways." It blew me away when I heard it and it simply crawled under my skin. I started listening to achtung baby and the sounds just pushed my soul out of my body . I started listening to that record non-stop. and when I went on a vacation with my family to Whistler, Canada, I continued to play that record over and over and over again. I looked out the window at the beautiful mountain scenery and breathed in the fresh mountain air while playing AB. It was a great vacation...

anyways, now everytime I listen to achtung baby again, I am literally transported back to whistler canada, to the point where the album has seeped up into my memory and triggers that vacation in my mind...to the point where I even smell the air when I listen to this album and see the beauty of the mountains around me (even though I am in Miami). I almost feel like I am on drugs when listening to that album because I am so detached from whatever goes on around me. I hardly listen to AB anymore because it is almost too "holy" and I dont want to ruin the memories that are associated with it and re-write it with something else

i believe that even when I am 30 years older I will still be transported back to that region of the world through the sounds of U2 alone. In this way, I feel like I have an incredible bond with the band and the spirit that joins me to the music and to the beautiful scenery of the mountains. As a ritual, whenever I go back to Whistler, Canada- I listen to Achtung baby and it is pure nirvana.

Does anyone else have any sort of experience like this? I hope I dont sound crazy

zooropop40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:26 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:37 AM
Yeah, their music is so memorable and evocative that I often associate specific songs with memories and locations. I know exactly what you mean. I've been a U2 fan since I was your age and believe me, it doesn't fade over time! Happy listening

LyricalDrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:32 PM   #3
Blue Crack Supplier

I've been a fan since long before you were born.

When I hear A Sort of Homecoming, I remember wandering around the Museum of Natural History in Manhattan, doing a HS project, with the Unforgettable Fire being played endlessly on my Walkman. When I hear Where the Streets Have No Name,

I remember listening to the Joshua Tree as I was trying to decide which College to attend. I also remember having that CD on as I wa flying back home from Houston after my first ever business trip....I was very pleased and excited about how things went, and we were flying over a Rain Storm, so, I'm looking at the window, above some cloud cover, seeing lightning in the clouds below as I listen to my favorite album of all-time. Very visceral memories there.

When I hear Zoo Station I'm instantly transported to my car, sitting in the parking lot of the Cross County Shopping Center. I had bought the CD of Achtung Baby the day it was released, and, was so desperate to hear it that I did not wait the 10 minutes it would have taken to drive home and listen there....I popped it into my Discman and sat there listening to the album in my car, after work. I must have listened to the beginning of that song 15x, just because I was so freaked out/thrilled with this new sound.

Anyway, I'm a huge music lover and have been fortunate enough to discover/be introduced to tons of amazing music, but U2 are and always be my favorites, and the impact their music has on me and the way it's been a soundtrack to much of my life remains unparalleled. I'm unabashed in professing my love for the band and their music.
No spoken words is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:39 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:37 AM
17 Year Old Girl, U2 fan

Know how you feel!
OrARoundabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:42 PM   #5
Refugee

Location: Interference is called Interference because it interferes on my ability to live a normal life...
I knew I wasnt alone!!

... Its just such a spiritual experience for me hearing almost any U2 album....

A lot of my friends and people my age think "U2 sucks", I just dont even bother wasting my time arguing with them... its their loss that they are missing out on music that captures the enviornment, atmosphere, and the world around you and never lets go of it or your memories. It truly is magical
Old 02-24-2009, 07:48 PM   #6
Refugee

I still remember constantly playing October in my old beater (1967 Beaumont) in the winter of 81/82. I also remember buying the Joshua Tree and immediatley heading on a road trip through the Rocky Mountains - listening to it dozens of times. As for Achtung Baby I just remember what I refer to as my "heyday" when I was a dj at a hugely successful club and, now, looking back, having the time of my life. As for the last two albums...well, to be honest I really didn't like them as much. In fact not nearly as much so there are no "memories" tied to them. I'm leaving on a road trip through the Rockies Friday (almost 22 years to the day) and I have a burnt copy of NLOTH - I have a good feeling about this album!!!
Harry Vest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:52 PM   #7
The Fly

I grew up in the desert SW of the US and the JT was always playing as we would go on road trips from Phoenix to Vegas and Utah. Whenever I hear Red Hill Mining Town, In God's Country, etc, I usually think of towering red rock cliffs and desert landscapes.

I totally know what you mean.
watsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:58 PM   #8
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooropop40 View Post
I knew I wasnt alone!!

A lot of my friends and people my age think "U2 sucks", I just dont even bother wasting my time arguing with them... its their loss that they are missing out on music that captures the enviornment, atmosphere, and the world around you and never lets go of it or your memories. It truly is magical
Ah, I get a lot of the same crap from friends, but as you said, it's there loss. Most of the stuff younger people listen to now is pure trash anyways, and won't be remembered 5 years from now.

I've tried to convert friends doesn't work. I've tried to convert my mom but she's an R.E.M. nut, which is fine, I love R.E.M., but U2 is better
liz9640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:15 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Location: At Tim Horton's with Kristen and Val talking about Tan Adam and fashion disasters.
I know exactly how you feel zooropop40! That happened to me with AB too.
Bonogirl777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:39 AM   #10
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonogirl777 View Post
I know exactly how you feel zooropop40! That happened to me with AB too.
hahahah
Old 02-25-2009, 12:53 AM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Location: At Tim Horton's with Kristen and Val talking about Tan Adam and fashion disasters.
Although, it reminds me of when I had bronchitis. But I just remember the day extremely vividly. Like it was yesterday! I didn't listen to anything else all day.
Bonogirl777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:45 AM   #12
The Fly

Im 23 years old, I've been a u2 fanatic since I was 15, i did not listened to AB when it came out but it was the third u2 album I bought, i discover them through ATYCLB, and the BEST OF 80- 90,

But I know how you feel, I still remember the first time I heard AB, it was on a friends house, couse it was closer to the place where I bought the album, and the expression of amazement, on both of our faces when the opening riff of ZOO Station started, its something I remember vividly, as a whole AB was my first "musical journey"( as larry would say=), and It wasn´t even on drugs or drunk to feel this experience call Achtung Baby, i can not believed it, now that Im going back through all this memories.
achtung-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:52 AM   #13
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 01:37 AM
I will never forget first seeing U2 live on the JT tour, I was just 14 and I cried and cried and cried.. it was just surreal to me. Every time I listen to the album I'm taken back to that time so many years ago. Very special indeed.

These days I am feeling very emotional about the new album. Especially Magnificent. U2 has manged to tug at my heart yet again.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:11 AM   #14
Babyface

You don't sound crazy at all. That's the mark of great music. It'll take you someplace. Glad to hear you got turned on to Mysterious Ways & AB.
rwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 02:21 AM   #15
Refugee

Quote:
Zooropa. 2mths before the album came out my daughter was born. her mother passed away after her birth, leaving a heart broken and very scared young man to take care of a baby and to try to carry on with life.
inspite of the circumstances i feel good when i listen to Zooropa. yeah songs like "lemon" and "stay" make me feel a little sadness, but the album never gets me down.
kingofsorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 02:30 AM   #16
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicy View Post
I will never forget first seeing U2 live on the JT tour, I was just 14 and I cried and cried and cried.. it was just surreal to me. Every time I listen to the album I'm taken back to that time so many years ago. Very special indeed.

These days I am feeling very emotional about the new album. Especially Magnificent. U2 has manged to tug at my heart yet again.
i remember after that seeing them for the first time on the ZooTV tour, i felt like this weight had been lifted off my shoulders. it was like i was carrying this burden all the way till then and seeing that show just lifted it right off. i literally felt like i could fly.
Magnificent seems to have affected me the same way it has you. i feel amazing sadness and joy at the same time. i was driving across the Sunshine Skyway Bridge while it was playing. looking across the entire bay area, the blue/green water glittering in the bright sun, was quite breathtaking while hearing bono screaming "magnificent".
kingofsorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 02:32 AM   #17
45:33

Local Time: 08:37 PM
Quote:
I knew I wasnt alone!!

spot on champ.

City of Blinding Lights takes me back to Christmas day 04, Kite takes me back to the night my pa died, Stay takes me back to a family vacation, Stuck got me out of a rut... endless.
cobl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 03:04 AM   #18
Acrobat

Local Time: 09:37 AM
Quote:

I am now 18 years old and am a U2 fanatic. About 8 years ago I started listening to U2. I was told that based on my music taste I might like a song called "Mysterious ways." It blew me away when I heard it and it simply crawled under my skin. I started listening to achtung baby and the sounds just pushed my soul out of my body . I started listening to that record non-stop. and when I went on a vacation with my family to Whistler, Canada, I continued to play that record over and over and over again. I looked out the window at the beautiful mountain scenery and breathed in the fresh mountain air while playing AB. It was a great vacation...

anyways, now everytime I listen to achtung baby again, I am literally transported back to whistler canada, to the point where the album has seeped up into my memory and triggers that vacation in my mind...to the point where I even smell the air when I listen to this album and see the beauty of the mountains around me (even though I am in Miami). I almost feel like I am on drugs when listening to that album because I am so detached from whatever goes on around me. I hardly listen to AB anymore because it is almost too "holy" and I dont want to ruin the memories that are associated with it and re-write it with something else

i believe that even when I am 30 years older I will still be transported back to that region of the world through the sounds of U2 alone. In this way, I feel like I have an incredible bond with the band and the spirit that joins me to the music and to the beautiful scenery of the mountains. As a ritual, whenever I go back to Whistler, Canada- I listen to Achtung baby and it is pure nirvana.

Does anyone else have any sort of experience like this? I hope I dont sound crazy
Hmm interesting. Well I am over in Vancouver at the moment on a year work visa, so maybe I'll try listening to AB and JT on a trip to Whistler, as well as NLOTH of course. Then later this year I'll travel to the Rocky Mountains and will play them on throughout that trip as well.
Thanksandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 03:12 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:37 AM
Quote:

Oh yeah!

I have the same feeling listening to Achtung Baby now as I did when I first heard it in 1991, i love it just as much, and to be honest most U2 albums have a similar effect on me. Their music does appear to have magical quailities, at least to me!! They have the power to make me feel that the world can be a beautiful place even when life shows me otherwise.

Very happy that you feel so positive about my favourite ever record/band.
An Cat Gav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 03:18 AM   #20
Acrobat

Location: Where you live should not decide, Whether you live or whether you die
Local Time: 03:37 AM
I totally understand that "magic" or "feeling" or whatever it is called...
SYCMIOYO= my father who died a week later after Bomb was released
Miracle Drug, one of my first loves...Original of the species and Love is Blindness, my ex...
Stay, somewhere in Europe vacation, Desire, me partying with my friends...Miss Sarajevo, first time in Italy, Streets; U2 concert, BD, my first U2 song, Vertigo, my first U2 album opened (I even remember the smell!), No Line on the Horizon (song) Portland, OR, my most recent vacations...I could go on all day with this... hehe...so, either we are all crazy or there's something really spiritual going on with U2 music!

fca780 is offline   Reply With Quote